THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I am thinking of booking a hunt...can I trade animals ? text

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am thinking of booking a hunt...can I trade animals ? text
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of going ahead and booking a hunt and was wondering....Most of the hunts show a mix-bag of animals that can be taken for a fixed price and then offer additional animals to add to a specific hunt. * Can one take the "standard" mixed animal bag and trade for another specific species that a hunter is more interested in going after....example, several species of kudu (?) for a croc. ?

Posts: 31 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fanofdbls,

Can you "trade for" other species from a "package"
Price?

Maybe! Some state that the animals in the package can not be substituted. Some are silent.

If they do let you trade out of the package, chances are you are not going to like the deal.

The packages are heavily discounted so you are not paying full price for any of the package animals.[add up the full daily rate and the full prices of the package animals and compute your discount %.] In addition the package animals are usually ones that are either lower priced or are in plentiful supply. The ones you want may not be either of those things.

Best to get a ruling from your booking agent or outfitter PRIOR to paying your money! You may be offered to switch while you are in the field, but don't count on it. Their goal is to get all your "package" animals hunted as quickly as possible and then offer you some of the other animals from the "list" at list prices.

It is after all a business where they are trying to make a living.

I must qualify this by saying that all my experience is in South Africa
so other places may differ.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most will within reason, but LHowell is spot on regarding package prices. Let them know exactly what you have in mind before signing a contract.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted Hide Post
Kudu for a croc will be a tough one to get switched, especially if you are hunting RSA, where permits are in short supply for crocs.

Package hunts are aimed at first timers. If this is not your first safari ask for a quote for the animals you desire. Also, if you book a package with most outfitters they will quote you a lower trophy fee for additional animals you KNOW you are likely to take if the chance presents itself.

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Book a safari which is not a pre-mixed "bag". Those safaris are put together by agents for newbies or to make it simple for people.

Talk to an outfitter (or agent). Tell them what you want to hunt, and where. Discuss it. Ask them for quotations, usually on a daily rate, plus tophy fee basis.

You get what you want, that way.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, first, last, and ,always, it is Africa and all things may be negotiable. Some outfitters may be willing to negotiate and some not. It never hurts to ask. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
What Nitrox said,

If you are walking in the bush you don't know what you are going to come accross... When you get there you see things that change your mind on what your target animals are. I didn't want an Eland because they were to big and too expensive. When I saw my first Eland I was all over it!!! I went out wanting a BW and turned it down. I didn't originally want a Waterbuck but when I saw them I rapidly changed my mind...

The only thing I stuck to was the Bushbuck, and the piggies but even then I had no idea how much fun a warthog can be... I shot 6!!!

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I om on line with Jerry Hover,
"Chiedere e`lecito, rispondere e` cortesia"
"To ask is allowed, to answer is courtesy"
this is an Italian proverb, even if I would change the first part in "To ask is allowed, to ask with courtesy is better, to answer is courtesy, but it is easier to have the answer if the quetion has been done with courtesy"

I did this two years ago in Namibia, and I always had answers

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Talk to an outfitter (or agent). Tell them what you want to hunt, and where. Discuss it. Ask them for quotations, usually on a daily rate, plus tophy fee basis.

I agree with Nitrox: get a quote from your outfitter for the species you want to hunt. That way you know what you are getting and what you are in for. If you book a package hunt make sure that the trophy fees of the species included in the package are specified in the contract and that you will get credit for species that you don't get.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
I agree that most packages are put together to make it easy for first timers ...ask for exactly what you want and your agent or outfitter can set it up ...many times I have led trips that have included different areas to get the best of what you want .... be aware that an area for a great croc may not be the best area for your other "important" animals and so the decision to take enough time to properly hunt each species will always be a good one ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fanofdbls,

If you are pretty sure what animals you'd like to hunt I'd agree that you should get a quote based on those animals. The reality is that most people on their first don't really know what animals they really want until they have been on the ground in Africa. This is why a package with the option of taking other animals is a good deal for a first safari. It will give you quite a bit of shooting while you are deciding what is really important to you. I personally think a rigid shopping list is a bad idea for a first safari. Relax and enjoy the experience however it plays out and you'll have more fun.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UsanguSafaris
posted Hide Post
I am not sure which country you are planning to go. My knowledge of what is available on permits is only limited to Tanzania. In Tanzania, animals you are allowed to hunt will be based on the number of days you spend hunting. I agree with Mark to allow yourself to be flexible so that you can have all the options open when you hunt, which makes the hunt that much more enjoyable and fun.

Usangu Safaris
www.usangu.com
email: info@usangu.com, headoffice@usangu.com
Tel. 1-907-488-5577

Posts: 49 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 09 November 2005Reply With Quote