THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bill to ban import of Big 4 (lion,ele,leopard, black/white rhino)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill to ban import of Big 4 (lion,ele,leopard, black/white rhino)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.zimbabwesituation.c...ry-newsday-zimbabwe/

Another blow for Zim wildlife industry

Posted on April 8, 2015 by ZimSitRep_

via Another blow for Zim wildlife industry – NewsDay Zimbabwe April 8, 2015

New York State Senator Tony Avella will today introduce a Bill that would ban the importation, possession, sale or transportation in the city of five species of animals native to Africa.

BY NDAMU SANDU

The Bill, if it sails through, will be a huge blow to the country’s wildlife industry still smarting from last year’s US sanctions with pressure rising against the sale of live elephants to China, France and the United Arab Emirates.

The Bill was drafted by the Friends of Animals’ (FoA) Wildlife Law Programme director Michael Harris.
The legislation would protect the African elephant, lion, leopard, black rhino and white rhino.
“The primary reason that each of these species is facing extinction is human sport hunting,” Harris said in a statement.

“Many of these hunts are purchased by Americans, and the trophies are imported into or through the state of New York. Domestic legislation like that being proposed today is vital to any hope of long-term survival of these species.”

Last April, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) suspended imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies from Zimbabwe and Tanzania over alleged questionable management practices.

USFWS said “anecdotal evidence, such as the widely publicised (cyanide) poisoning last year of 300 elephants in Hwange National Park, suggests that Zimbabwe’s elephants are also under siege”.

“Given the current situation on the ground in both Tanzania and Zimbabwe, the Service is unable to make positive findings required under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (Cites) and the Endangered Species Act to allow import of elephant trophies from these countries,” USFWS said.
The ban is still to be removed with local safari operators moaning on the loss of the key US market.
Edita Birnkrant, campaigns director for Friends of Animals, said Americans continue to “see sport-hunting as romantic, or for that matter as ethical”.

“Until we can get national bans put in place to reduce the number of sport-hunted African big 5 species brought into this country, it is vital that states like New York, where a large number of these trophies are imported into because JFK is a major point of entry from Africa, take action on their own,” Birnkrant said.

Birnkrant said while hunters argue that without sport hunting, African governments would not have any money for conservation, “sport hunting only further imperils African wildlife”.

The move also comes as pressure is being piled on Zimbabwe to stop exportation of baby elephants.
Government insists the elephant population, at 43 000, has exceeded its carrying capacity at Hwange National Parks adding that revenue realised would be channelled towards conservation purposes.

An animal rights group, People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), has ratcheted up pressure against the live animal sales advising Minister of Environment, Water and Climate Saviour Kasukuwere to stop the exercise.
Peta US director Pamela Anderson said she has been “deeply upset by the heart-breaking news about the 80 or so baby elephants who were torn away from their families, many even witnessing their own family’s gruesome slaughter”.

Anderson said “these terrified babies are reportedly being held captive while awaiting sale to China and the United Arab Emirates, far from their homelands, where they will never see their families again and never have any semblance of a normal or happy life”.

“I’m sure that you’ve heard the international outcry and the pleas that these elephants be released back to their herds. I am writing to you to urge you to do everything in your power to assist in the effort to stop such profiteering at the expense of wildlife,” Anderson wrote in a letter to Kasukuwere.

Prince Mupazviriho, Environment, Water and Climate permanent secretary, was yesterday unavailable for comment on the latest onslaught on the country’s wildlife industry. Kasukuwere was also unavailable for comment.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9455 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It is about time Chiefs sued these wankers. Just need some hot shot lawyer to take up the case.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9921 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These f'ing idiots have a plan. Yet, we sit here and fight amongst ourselves and bitch and complain about SCI. We better learn to stick together and fights these jerks together.

Posts: 12074 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"we".............

Wonder what SCi and DSC and the NRA and the other orginazations we support are gonna do about this???

Posts: 42162 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can assure you the NRA will hear about this soon.

Posts: 12074 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
If only these people would get their heads out of their arses and actually go to Africa. Any vaguely intelligent person would quickly see that game animals need a value or they and their environment will disappear. Responsible hunting is, de facto, effective conservation. It's a sad day when Pamela Anderson becomes an influential commentator on this subject.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think they care about conservation. I think they care about not having any animal shot.
I remember an interview with one of them regarding the 3 antelope species on game ranches in Texas that had their designations changed a couple years ago.
When asked if she would rather see a species continue on in Texas, maintained through selective sport hunting; or have them go extinct, she chose extinction.
That sums it all up for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/20...rican-species-in-ny/

Proposed Bill Would Ban Import, Sale Of 5 Endangered African Species In NY

April 8, 2015 3:09 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Legislation has been introduced in New York that would ban the import, possession, sale or transportation of the remains of five endangered species native to Africa.
State Sen. Tony Avella was joined Wednesday by animal rights advocates on the steps of City Hall to announce the bill, which covers elephants, leopards, lions, black rhinoceroses and white rhinoceroses.
All five species are currently facing extinction and are further threatened by illegal poaching and sport hunting, advocates said.
“We’re supposed to be the stewards of these species and shame on us if we allow them to become extinct because of sport hunting,” Sen. Avella told 1010 WINS.
A recent report from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agency said New York is the port of entry for much of the illegal animal trade into the country, 1010 WINS reported.
“If we can stop it here, we can send a message to the entire world that New Yorkers and New York will not tolerate this,” Avella said.
The senator added that he believes New York should lead the way in taking a stand for these endangered species.
“There’s a huge number of animal rights advocates in New York and throughout the country and the world who want to preserve these animals,” he said. “If we don’t take steps now, they will be extinct. And future generations will not know that they ever existed.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is important to note that this is the state of NY not the US Congress.

I imagine this will cost the state of NY.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
It is one state assemblyman introducing a bill that is unlikely to go anywhere. Introducing bills is sort of like filing a lawsuit. Anyone can file anything they want. Winning a lawsuit, or passing such legislation, is another matter. All sorts of special interest bills are introduced across the country that have absolutely no chance of passing . . . they are written and filed to appease some donor or campaign supporter.

Mike

Posts: 21520 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
it takes all sorts of clowns ...
I have lived in NY and I'm not fond of those memories.
What a shithole

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
All sorts of special interest bills are introduced across the country that have absolutely no chance of passing . . . they are written and filed to appease some donor or campaign supporter.

My thoughts exactly. All the animal rights groups are constantly filing suits and lobbying representatives (State and Fed) to ban this and that.

This will go nowhere and no effect. (I hope)

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point is not whether this guy is an idiot or has any chance of passing this legislation. The opposition is becoming more organized. They are making more headway . We need to stick together to fight these groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The point is not whether this guy is an idiot or has any chance of passing this legislation. The opposition is becoming more organized. They are making more headway . We need to stick together to fight these groups.

Agreed!!

They may not win this one. But these guys are getting stronger and more support by the day.
We are going in the opposite direction.
IMO the end is near if we don't do something radical!

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is one state assemblyman introducing a bill that is unlikely to go anywhere. Introducing bills is sort of like filing a lawsuit. Anyone can file anything they want. Winning a lawsuit, or passing such legislation, is another matter. All sorts of special interest bills are introduced across the country that have absolutely no chance of passing . . . they are written and filed to appease some donor or campaign supporter.

I have Five bucks that says it passes. It is already illegal to sell ivory in NY. Similar legislation (ivory) is being proposed here in Florida by Senator Thad Altman. Rocket Scientist that he is....

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Deal. And by the way, I do agree with Larry that these groups are better funded than we are, better organized than we are, make more effective use of the Internet and social media than we do and the longer we try to fight the battle as disparate groups (SCI, DU, REMA, NRA, etc.) the further behind we are going to fall.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Deal. And by the way, I do agree with Larry that these groups are better funded than we are, better organized than we are, make more effective use of the Internet and social media than we do and the longer we try to fight the battle as disparate groups (SCI, DU, REMA, NRA, etc.) the further behind we are going to fall.

This will be Five bucks I will be delighted to lose.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Same ivory selling ban has been proposed here in Nevada by a Democratic State Senator. I have contacted SCI, the NRA, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the RMEF, and the Sheep Foundation to let them know that they need to fight this one. The ban includes anything made of a white dentin substance and includes, but is not limited to elephant ivory, hippo ivory, walrus and narwhale ivory, whale ivory and mammoth ivory. I'm sure that warthog ivory would also fall under this proposed bill. If this insane bill passes, there is going to be a shit storm with vendors at all of these conventions, including the Shot Show and Cowboy Christmas with the NFR. The penalty for first time sales is a gross misdemeanor, followed by a felony for subsequent sales.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S4686-2015

Link to the bill.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
If it's gonna pass anywhere, it'll be big metropolitan areas like New York and others
You would think Nevada wouldn't be one but, you just never know
All I gotta say to you boys , put your places on the market and head to Texas, Mt, ID, WY and couple other Western states that are not emotional, bleeding hearts , liberal bastions of silly over civilized pussies.
You'll never regret it
Just go where Men are Men and sheep are scared shitless

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
We here in Australia also thought that the greenies were " only going through the motions" when it was first proposed to ban the importation of lion, and because of the personal opinion of one individual Minister we now have it as Law.....
Hope you have more success with common sense then we did here in Aus.
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Texas and the rights of hunters and fishermen:

http://lubbockonline.com/filed...endment#.VSmaIOEhMUM

Will not be long and the right to hunt and fish, in Texas, will be a constitutional right.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of Texas and the rights of hunters and fishermen:

http://lubbockonline.com/filed...endment#.VSmaIOEhMUM

Will not be long and the right to hunt and fish, in Texas, will be a constitutional right.

The issue of making hunting and fishing a constitutional right was discussed this week at the NRA convention.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think that might be a tough hill to climb if they are talking about the U.S. Constitution. To get 2/3 of both houses of Congress plus 3/4 of the state legislatures on board might be a challenge sadly. The problem is if you try and fail, does that mean it is not a Constitutional right? I think in Texas they figured the demographics were never going to get any better, so get it done while we can and the chance of failure is very small. Ten or twenty years from now as the demographics in Texas change, might not be possible.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No , they were talking of individual states.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. You better get it done in Florida too given your evolving demographics.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Legislature recognizes that hunting, fishing, and the taking of game are a valued part of the cultural heritage of Florida and should be forever preserved for Floridians. The Legislature further recognizes that these activities play an important part in the state's economy and in the conservation, preservation,
and management of the state's natural areas and resources. Therefore, the Legislature intends that the citizens of Florida have a right to hunt, fish, and take game, subject to the regulations and restrictions prescribed by general law and by s. 9, Art. IV of the State Constitution

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
http://www.ncsl.org/research/e...o-hunt-and-fish.aspx

"Eighteen states guarantee the right to hunt and fish in their constitutions, with 17 of those approved via the voters."

The right was added to our Louisiana State Constitution in 2004.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A very good mate of mine has the answer as to why we are fighting a losing battle. He spoke of the elephant ban: only a few hundred hunters actually kill trophy bulls. What politician will put his re election on the line by standing up for such a small number of potential voters compared to the fanatical anti hunters as those who just don't care. Being in the minority sucks.
The final death bell will be when the airlines or a politician (or both) make it illegal to fly with firearms--domestic or internationally--simply by making airports firearm free zones.
I get emails every week that the antis send me due to my website. Some are polite, some wish me death. I have a dialog with an anti in the state of Texas. Bottom line, there are more of them than there are of us. Votes get folks in office so the politicians must play to the majority. In western and conservative states, domestic hunters have a strong voice. In may eastern states they don't. But no state has a majority of voters who hunt internationally.
It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote