Find
Notify
Tools

A child's question about hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, though, this shenanigans about quoting dead writers and the interpretations of their writings is nothing more than childish.
JustinL01,

Or should I say Michael Vick? You didn’t previously have a dog in this fight; why would you want to change that? You’ve just name-called, ergo, you’re in the fight. Unless you enjoy fighting for it’s own sake what say you back out of this?

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things to teach a child:

1. Making baseless, unsupported, unsubstantiated allegations, and taking passages out of context do not make you appear intelligent. It merely shows your ass.

2. Don’t participate in hunting discussion forums if you’re unwilling or unable to read others’ posts.

3. Don’t participate in hunting discussion forums if you’re unwilling or unable to read your own posts as that’s taking “showing your ass†to a whole new level.

4. Stay in school; sixth grade just isn’t sufficient in today’s competitive environment.

5. If you do continue your education beyond that be aware that while in sixth grade you can rule the roost by bullying the smaller kids with imbecilic playground taunts, by seventh grade that looks very stupid. Keep that in mind if you matriculate into middle school lest you come across as an idiot.

6. Trouble is the one thing that you can be quite confident of receiving in this life if you persist in asking for it.

7. Mocking people’s religion is looking for trouble.

8. A corollary to #5 is that if you show someone disrespect don’t be surprised to get a response in kind.

9. Accordingly, if you have diarrhea of the brain don’t name yourself Mr. Laxative.

10. Don’t offer advice on instructing other people’s children if you haven’t yet grown up yourself.

11. Don’t be a bully and don’t be a coward, though in truth those two are the same thing. Cowardly bullies eventually meet someone who will stand up to them and when that happens they cry like a baby, scream like a little girl, and comport themselves with the manliness of Boy George or Liberace.

12. If you step in a pile of mrlexma take your shoes off before going inside.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
popcorn

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Wismon, I agree. Plus, he (Hemingway) has mistaken joy in the hunt as PRIDE--which many theologeans/philosophers would more likely define as "enmity towards our fellow man" rather than taking pleasure in an activity.

An excellent summation.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
Howdy Peter,

Where in my post did I say it is OK to torture animals? I realize I may not have the same values as you but don't paint me as something I am not, just stick to painting me what I am.

Nope. didn't see anything about torture in your post.
I do agree with your basic premise , I have always told my daughter the truth about hunting.
Now I have another hunting partner, for as long as she wants to come along.
Bagged her first rabbit at age 4. Helped to skin and clean it. Ate most of it. Carried away a smile that still hasn't faded.

Joe Miller. You could do worse than give it a try. The truth I remember from Africa is nothing gets wasted, especially meat.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wismon,

You posted this on a public forum, and I said that not to just throw my .02 in, but because other people (read: nonhunters, antihunters) can also read this. What you posted before is not putting hunters in a good light, sure people hunt for different reasons, but at least do it tastefully. If you really want to have a pissing match, do it with a PM.

Oh and there's a PM waiting for you from me, too.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JustinL01,

As you noted, this is a public forum. Accordingly, if you post something publicly, as you did, don’t be surprised if it garners a public response. Are you with me so far? Am I going too fast for you?

It’s up to you: either be in the fight or out of it. But one thing that doesn’t work very well is to be in the fight, as you are, throw a punch, as you did, and expect not to get a response.

Now, since Crusher up there is watching with a bag of buttered popcorn, let me post for him your idiotic PM:

quote:
Calling me Michael Vick for me saying that you were being childish? Hahaha, you aren't too bright, are you? Or are you just an anti-hunting freak that places hunters in the same light as what Michael Vick was accused of? Maybe a little bit of both, it doesn't really matter to me, I just thought I would send you this PM to lead by example (like what I said in my last post). G'day, sir.

The reference to Michael Vick was because I pointed out to you that you really don’t have a dog in this fight. That, mental midget, is an example of an expression. An expression is a phrase people use to communicate imagery of one sort or another.

And you’re going to lead by example? Only if that which you are trying to teach is more of what moron laxative has demonstrated so ably: the desire to attack without getting a response, and then, when the response arrives, as noted earlier, crying like a baby, screaming like a girl, and comporting yourself like Liberace, as you did.

I’m glad you heal fast and don’t scar. When that occurs and you decide to behave like grown, male, non-prissy adult and discuss things with a respectful tone, I’ll be here, as I have on this and other hunting forums for seven or eight years or so thus far. I’m not going anywhere. I’m not anti-hunting any more than I’m anti-oxygen. I favor both. I am, however, anti-idiot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are aware that this is a public forum and aren't afraid to say whatever about my comments, why am I not allowed to do the same? I didn't throw a punch at anyone, nor did I expect to get no response from what I said. This thread simply started about a young person asking a question about why people hunt. Now, as we're all hunters, some people chimed in and gave some wonderful insight into that question. That was marvelous. To start a pissing match like what was on here, though, wasn't needed. It was between you and mrlexma, and the fact that you were offended when I chimed in, proves that it was just between you two. All I did was suggest you two take it to a PM. It seems you don't understand them much, though, the P stands for private, and I don't mind at all that you posted my PM on here, just wanted to clarify that for you.

As for the imagery and expressions, it was a piss poor one. It's a public forum, anyone can "have a dog in the fight," but you really seem to have a problem with that. Oh well, you'll learn sometime. Maybe it will only take another 7 or 8 years. This is getting rather childish, too, but I think you're main concern is not looking defeated on here, so there will be another post here from you, no doubt, and I would Private Message you again, but since you like it all out in the open for everyone to see, I guess there's no point in it, because I don't want the lines of AR.com to be soiled with your defensive dribble anymore, so I'm done. As I said before, have a good day, sir.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you are aware that this is a public forum and aren't afraid to say whatever about my comments, why am I not allowed to do the same?
You are, of course, allowed to post whatever floats through your mind. Just don’t expect to not receive a response.

quote:
I didn't throw a punch at anyone,…
Oh yes you did. You poked your snout into someone else’s fight equating the positions of both the attacker (pile of mrlexma) and the defender (moi) and calling the exchange “childishâ€. That’s (1) choosing sides and (2) using a pejorative.

quote:
To start a pissing match…
I did no such thing. I was respectfully in my post to laxative-boy; he changed all of that by being contemptuous in his response, at which point I matched his tone.

quote:
All I did was suggest you two take it to a PM.
Yet you did so publicly, thus making you a hypocrite. Or stupid beyond description.

quote:
It seems you don't understand them much, though, the P stands for private

Again, Gomer Pyle, see above. Also, you announced publicly that you had posted privately. Do you not see how hilarious that is? I’m leaning towards the “stupid beyond words†possibility at this point.

quote:
…and I don't mind at all that you posted my PM on here…
Then why the gobbledygook above?

quote:
It's a public forum, anyone can "have a dog in the fight," but you really seem to have a problem with that.
Wow, Stupid Beyond Words, this shtick is getting wearisome. Again, v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y: post whatever you want but don’t be surprised if it garners a response.

quote:
I don't want the lines (likes?) of AR.com to be soiled with your defensive dribble…
Wow, you are a newbie. The shit storms here make the Sunni Triangle, East LA, and the South Side of Chicago seem like Disneyland in comparison.

quote:
…so I'm done.
That would be nice. But if you need more wounds from which to quickly heal and not scar, you come back now, you hear?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past few days I have come to some conclusions about my girls and how to show them why and how I hunt.

First Sambar 9.3, you are dead right. I am going to show them by example and have begun already. Yesterday she missed a squirrel and then got one, which Crystal then made into potpie and Erika had her first experience of using hunting to provide food. I am the first to admit that we could very easily buy our meat and survive just fine. But providing for yourself is a much better way of life and one all to often forgotten by the majority of the civilized world.

September 2008 will see my entire family on a four species archery hunt in the Olympic national forest of Washington. Hopefully the trip will leave everyone with a new perspective and perhaps a pair of life long hunting companions for me. Right now, I am looking at 2011 for the entire gang to go to Africa. The girls will be ten and eight by then, and their little brother will be here and walking by then as well. I hope I get the chance to go back with him when he is of age.

To those of you who seem to be embroiled in a debate over a writer who was or was not mis-quoted and a football player who is like none of us here, please as Phil Shoemaker once said "Stop the literary masturbation and just go hunting"

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To those of you sanctimonious twits who seem to think you're entitled to post your thoughts but begrudge others from doing the same, or, more to the point, believe that those who are attacked should not defend themselves, please, stop the hypocrisy and just go masturbate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe Miller, Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
Maybe keep us posted on how you archery trip goes?

All the best.

Cheers, Dave.