THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone Heard Of A 470 Blowing Up In Botswana?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Heard Of A 470 Blowing Up In Botswana?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I got an email from a friend asking me about a hunting accident that was supposed to have occured in Botswana.

The details he got were as follows:

A custom made 470 was sighted in the day before this happned, and everything worked fine.

Then the next day, the gun blew up on the first shot he took on game, blowing the hunters thump off.

Apparently he was using Federal factory ammo.

I wonder if any of you have heard of this?

The getlman who sent me this message has always been very reliable.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the brand of rifle (vintage or new)?

Could there have been a barrel obstruction?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no knowledge of the make of the rifle. An obstruction was ruled out as the rifle was put inside a soft case after the range session the previous day.

I understand the barrel blew up just ahead of the chamber, and a piece of it hit the PH, who was not injured seriously.

I have sent a couple of emails to friends who might know, and will report back any additional news I get.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say 'custom 470' are those your terms? If not than it sounds like one of those bolt monsters.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
You mean the modern "custom" made double blew up but wasn't vintage double "junk"?!!!!

Which modern doubles are regulated for Federal ammo in .470?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to me to know what happend. I am sorry the man lost his thumb, assuming he was not careless.

A good deal can sometimes be understood just by looking along the fracture with even a low powered optical. It just goes to show... something is going to give, somewhere in the world, perhaps it was an isolated material defect.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the rifle was supposedly a searcy i just got back from botswnaa last night

i owen 2 searcys and love them and have never heard anything bad about them i think it was the ammo

expecialy sice what iv seen the ph's use scares me.

i saw a ph using fed 470 ammo 10+ years old that has been sitting on the dash board of hit land crusier in 90-100 deg weather

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Steve

How was your hunt... We wanna hear stories and see pics

jeffe

Posts: 38502 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several things can apparantly take place in doubles that cause this to happen...

I recall Barry Van Heerden shot his Holland and Holland 470 and had the barrel burst ahead of the chamber and it tore hell out of his hand..Fortunatly his client was a surgeon and performed a 3 hour surgery under camp conditions, and that saved his hand...

Later investigation claimed that the powder had compacted and created a double ignition...This seems to be a major cause in double rifle blowups, and there is a school of thought that it happens mostly with 4831 powders that have a longer burning rate down the barrel and build pressure in that area...

Another cause of such incidents is a gap in the powder due to lack of a proper filler or no filler what so ever and that can cause a burst in the barrel.

Loaded ammo that has been in a Safari truck for a year or so causes powder to breakdown, when powder such as RL-15 or 4831 breaks down, it becomes such as Bullseye, and boom!

These are supposedly legitamate reasons for double rifle blowups..I don't know if they are myth or fact, but doubles do blow up and have for a 100 years, so do bolt rifles and the incidense in bolt guns is much higher, probably because there are more of them around would be my guess.....

Most such incidents, after a real investigation, come around to the fact that it was not factory ammo and that someone got carried away with his handloading practices...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Most such incidents, after a real investigation, come around to the fact that it was not factory ammo and that someone got carried away with his handloading practices...

Ray the above would be my first guess, and secondly a Monolithic solid in an old rifle, or combination of both, with the wrong powder, and the wrong , or no filler!

Too bad about the guys hand, the loss of a rifle, and the ruined hunt!

PS: 700Nitro, federal has only been makeing 470 ammo for about ten years, I doubt anyone would still have a box of that ammo that is ten+ yrs old, especially a PH, who must make use of his ammo.

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely it must have been a Blaser! I didn't know they made the R93 in .470.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubles are not ment to handle high pressure, and when you get high pressure things will come apart in any of them I suspect, old or new...

If it was a Searcy then that really surprises me as the thickness of the Searcy barrels is considerably heavier than an English gun, and they are made of much better modern steel...I supose a barrel could be flawed, but he uses Krieger barrels and they are among the finest barrels on the market...and the Searcy is way stronger than any English rifle that I know of.. I also wonder how they could dismiss an obstruction in the barrel after the gun blew. I wonder if it even happened?

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was a Searcy that blew (and that is just rumor at present), then the conditions that blew a Searcy would have blown any other double to smithereens. The shooter may have only lost a thumb instead of his life due to the strength of the Searcy action.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

In fact no, there is no such a thing as all Nitro and bolt rifles were built on Euro supplied barrels and today we have evidence that all ? were in fact Krupp's steel barrels. This holds true up to 1918

So if one were to crit a old English nitro double you need to qualify that the barrel and likely the action is European. It would be a tough one to make stick that Krupp made poor barrels when they were the most proven barrel steel maker in the world.

This applied not only to the big names but also the trade guns out of the UK.

Jeffery have on record as building their doubles built by H Leonard on Krupp barrels as far back as 1901. If you are shooting an old 450-400 Jeffery you are in fact shooting a Francotte built action with a pair of Krupp steel barrels.

The same applies (barrels) to Westley Richards, Rigby and Webley and Scott.

Many of the trade actions were also Euro made by firms like August Francotte and Lummerzheim of Liege in Belgium.

Alf

Fantastic post. The Best English are actually German and Belgian guns in terms of material

H&H beening the only barrel maker in UK? You also have Border Barrels who makes boltaction and double barrel blanks. I been told that there is another maker of barrels, too.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 450 No2 was made by Edwinson Green and Sons. He did not start to use the "and Sons until after 1921.
my barrels are both marked as being German,ie. Krupp Essen.
This rifle has the same action as a Jeffery, in fact the engraving on the dolls head is the same as some of the higher grade Jefferies I have seen.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There is this constant call to "Poor english guns and barrels" and I find it somewhat amusing for a number of reasons.

Can it be said that there is in fact such a thing as a "English barrel" when referring to early Nitro English guns?

This applied not only to the big names but also the trade guns out of the UK.

Jeffery have on record as building their doubles built by H Leonard on Krupp barrels as far back as 1901. If you are shooting an old 450-400 Jeffery you are in fact shooting a Francotte built action with a pair of Krupp steel barrels.

The same applies (barrels) to Westley Richards, Rigby and Webley and Scott.

Many of the trade actions were also Euro made by firms like August Francotte and Lummerzheim of Liege in Belgium.

The modern H&H actions are CNC machined since 1989 and only fitting is now done by actioneers.

H&H used Vickers Armstrrong barrels up to 1963 and since then have been making their own, Incidently the only barrel making factory in the UK.

ALF ,and others, please pardon my snipping only parts of ALF's post to quote. I did so, because everyone has already read his very fine, and informative post, but these are things that seem most important to me, from it!

I don't see the need for the name calling of different makes of double rifles, regardless of where they are made! You pointed out one of the most often stated flaws in the comparison of NEW doubles, when compared to the current lot of Britt, American,or Euro double rifles, everyone talks about. I thought anyone with any sense, at all, would know that, eventhough, the barrels were made by the best the world had to offer when the OLD Britt rifles were made, the technology was not, then, what it is today. Since we can't compare a 75 year old Searcy, or Merkel, to a 75 year old Britt rifle, then, IMO, it should be evident to anyone, that you can't compare the steel in a modern double of the old name, ot the steel in one made today. We are compareing early steel to modern steel, regardless of who made the rifle. The same people who down the NEW doubles that are equipted with KRUPP barrels, and Euro made A&D actions, do an about face, when stateing the Britt double is somehow better because they used the same barrels, and actions! ??????????????? By the same token, those who spout the "MINE'S BETTER THAN YOUR'S" crap, give the fact that Modern double rifles have much of the "HOG WORK" done on CNC equiptment, when every machine shop in the world that is worthy of the name uses CNC, including the new Britt rifle makers. Sounds a little waffleing, like JOHN KERRY doesn't it? Seems any fact is valid when it suits your purpose, but is dismissed,by one side or the other, as a draw back, when applied to the opposition!

Then you have those who state the old doubles have stood the test of time, and they have, but how do we know the doubles made today will not stand that test, as well? The answer is, we don't. The investment value that everyone wants to quote as a real reason for buying "NAMES", is not as true today as it once was! 20 yrs ago if you bought a double for $3000 USD, and it had a NAME, you paid what it was worth then. Today it IS worth 3, or four times what you paid for it then, but buying today, that 300 % profit will not be realized, ever.

That same quality OLD rifle did not always sell for a profit, but five, or ten years after it was bought new, it sold as a used rifle, just like the NEW rifle of today does, but let that NEW double get to 50 years old, and see what it will cost, compared to what it sold for new!

All I'm saying by all this is most of the noise sounded here on this, or that Double rifle's projected worth, is smoke and mirrors, nothing more. Compareing the stringth of a rifle made from steel of 100 yrs ago, to steel of today, eventhough they were both made by the same makers is simply, in a word, SILLY!

This happening in Botswana has caused a flurry of snobbish finger pointing, on both sides,with everybody getting in a jab, or two, against the make they like to downgrade. We don't even know if it even happened, at all. We certainly don't know what caused it, or even the make of the rifle involved. All that has caused people to throw out brand names of rifles, as the culprits, when nobody even knows what, where, if, or why, this did, or did not happen. Talk about Guilty till proven innocent

This opinion, is just that OPINION, and your's is just as valid to you, as mine is to me. I say lets wait a bit, and find out the facts, before we convict anyone!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not in total discard with Alf, but I am confident that a Searcy, Merkle, or Krieghoff is stronger than the English guns....I believe the new guns to be more accurate and not as cranky to regulate with different loads..Most English guns are not particularly accurate, but some are and I have owned some good ones and some not so good in that department..I have shot several English guns off the face and thats not likely with the modern guns..

A person that disagreed with that could probably talk Butch into a contest, but only if he was willing to see his nice English gun in chunks first...I truly believe this, and I have always been a fan of English doubles and always will be. In fact I am looking at a nice 450 right now..

What I see is it works both ways, the modern against the new and I see a lot of friction brewing between the two factions and to what end I don't have a clue, it's not a legitamate arguement...

There should be no competition between the two...One is a using gun for hunting and shooting a lot, it can be replaced easily.. The other is an investment and a wonderfull object of art that is still functional, but probably hard to replace and hard to insure for trips...

I have never been content about taking my good English guns to Africa to be mishandled by airlines and risk losing or having them destroyed..

Many guns have disapeared and many have been broken in half and if they knew a double was in the case that alone would make it disapear like a genie in a lamp....

Take these things into consideration and make up your own mind, that's what I did and I'm satisfied with my take on the subject..

If you have come to another conclusion and it works for you then that is fine and I respect that decision.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know if the ammo was handloaded. If I was a PH and had handloaded ammo left behind for me I would either give it away or pull the bullets and reload the cases and bullets with my own powder. I have seen too many haphazard handloaders at work to trust anyone else's but my own. Then if a fool loaded it, the fool was me!

Also it does not seem common to tape up a double's muzzles against mud, dirt and debris like I always do with a bolt action. Maybe the muzzles were plugged? Of course then the damage would be to the muzzles not the breech/chambers.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Searcy, Merkel, or Krieghoff

Were Merkels and Krieghoffs a problem in Botswana too?

PS How did this thread get diverted to a discussion on the pros and cons of older English doubles? Surely completely irrelevant.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You mean the modern "custom" made double blew up but wasn't vintage double "junk"?!!!!

Which modern doubles are regulated for Federal ammo in .470?

Who wrote the quote above, NitroX?
???????????

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Surely it must have been a Blaser! I didn't know they made the R93 in .470.

Another quote! By M16

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does anyone know the brand of rifle (vintage or new)?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

the rifle was supposedly a searcy i just got back from botswnaa last night

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If it was a Searcy that blew (and that is just rumor at present), then the conditions that blew a Searcy would have blown any other double to smithereens. The shooter may have only lost a thumb instead of his life due to the strength of the Searcy action.

Sounds a little like "MINE'S BETTER THAN YOUR'S" to me, in the above 3 or 4 quotes! whOt cha thank, NITROX?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have no knowledge of the make of the rifle. An obstruction was ruled out as the rifle was put inside a soft case after the range session the previous day.

I understand the barrel blew up just ahead of the chamber, and a piece of it hit the PH, who was not injured seriously.

I have sent a couple of emails to friends who might know, and will report back any additional news I get.

All kidding asside! This sounds like an obstruction just ahead of the chamber, probably a cleaning patch!

It is usual for a double rifle owner to run a patch through each barrel before putting it away. There could have been a patch left in the bore without his noticeing it, before it was cased. If so, and he did not look down the bores before loading, the next day, there could be your problem, and there would be no aparent sign of obstruction on the split barrel afterwards. The place where the barrel blew, is an indication of a barrel obstuction, or a WRONG POWDER, and/or bullet, load, to me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro X,
I agree with you on left ammo, however that is not the case in Africa as "most" PH's will shoot whatever they can get their hands on...

Many of them are not gun nuts like we'uns on AR, a gun is a tool and nothing more and their knowledge of guns is less than one would expect, and surprisingly many are not particularly good shots, but most can handle a dangerous situation up close very well indeed. This is not to say that many of them are not gun nuts or experts, some are in fact....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand the postings of Alf and Mac, they feel it is silly to compare the strength of vintage doubles to the strength of modern doubles because modern doubles are so very much stronger.

And as far as Mac's 'mine is better than yours' comment, he seems to be focused on getting his feelings hurt rather than concentrating on the strength of the various rifles, which is the issue here.

If anyone gets FACTS about what actually happened in BOTS, those facts would be welcome here.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some facts on what actually happened would be good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The blowing up occurred in Botswana at one of Johan Calitzs camps...The client may lose his thumb and is presently in the hospital in Joberg and that may be the upside if he gets a blood transfusion!! IMO....

The rifle in question was a 375 H&H double rifle with no makers name on it, the client has owned the gun for over 15 years..Based on that it could be anyones rifle built on a shotgun action...

The caliber itself could be the reason it blew, if it shot off the face and they kept shooting it I would think it would blow sooner or later..Not a double rifle caliber IMO and shooting factory ammo in a double rifle in that 60,000 PSI caliber could very well explain the blowup IMO....Just surmising however and must make that clear so as not to add to the rumor mongering that goes rampant on these threads.

I will keep you posted as I learn the facts of this event..I am in direct contact with Johan on this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. It's always good to get some facts before wandering down conjecture lane...

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If I understand the postings of Alf and Mac, they feel it is silly to compare the strength of vintage doubles to the strength of modern doubles because modern doubles are so very much stronger.

And as far as Mac's 'mine is better than yours' comment, he seems to be focused on getting his feelings hurt rather than concentrating on the strength of the various rifles, which is the issue here.

If anyone gets FACTS about what actually happened in BOTS, those facts would be welcome here.

Gentlemen, gentlemen!!!! Why has this division in the fraternity of double gun shooters occurred recently? As a collector and shooter of vintage doubles I certainly would not say that they are "stronger" than newer doubles, nor do I think that most double shooters would make this claim. Conversely, in a working grade double I don't think that there is any question that the "average" vintage double (British or European) is a more finely fitted and finished rifle than the "average" modern double. This translates into a better useable "investment" than a modern rifle, but not a stronger or more accurate rifle.

In the end it does not matter if the rifle in question was a modern or vintage double, as neither is inherently unsafe if in good condition. Many variables could have influenced this particular blowup, but why try to make it new vs old. In most cases like this (unless there was a structural defect in the metal, or bad factory ammo) the end cause is usually traceable to user error in one form or another. If we shoot long enough, the vast majority of us (with me at the head of the class ) will eventually fall prey to a "user error" of some sort. We can but hope that when it is our turn it won't be of the catastrophic variety.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the facts Ray. I hope the gentleman will have a successful recovery.

Some feel it necessary to make excuses for the relative weakness of vintage doubles, but no one needs to make excuses for vintage 1914 and 1917 Enfields. Enfields can fire the latest Ultramag or the hottest cartridge from Weatherby, Lazzeroni.

Personally I think a vintage double can be very nice to handle, but it is a serious mistake to believe that a vintage double is somehow better than current offerings when for strength, safety, durability and accuracy, modern doubles are where it's at.

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the facts Ray. I hope the gentleman will have a successful recovery.

Some feel it necessary to make excuses for the relative weakness of vintage doubles, but no one needs to make excuses for vintage 1914 and 1917 Enfields. Enfields can fire the latest Ultramag or the hottest cartridge from Weatherby, Lazzeroni.

Personally I think a vintage double can be very nice to handle, but it is a serious mistake to believe that a vintage double is somehow better than current offerings when for strength, safety, durability and accuracy, modern doubles are where it's at.

500grains,

I didn't realise that I was making excuses for vintage doubles. If you want excuses, here goes. Essentially you are dealing with similar locking systems on modern doubles and vintage doubles in MOST cases (and this is a weaker system than a bolt action). The difference in new rifles comes from improved metallurgy and increased barrel wall thickness, plus generally more massive actions in some modern makes. It would be a mistake to believe that a brand new double, if subjected to 80 years of use and abuse (metal fatigue), firing corrosive ammo, and general neglect of maintenance, would be as strong at that point as it is today, but due to the differences stated it would still be stronger than a 1920's double.

Does this make the new double "better" than the vintage double? Yes, if you are talking about strength and safety only , but that does not mean that we all should prefer hunting with one. I have no problems if that is your preference, but it is no reason to denigrate people who prefer to hunt with a lighter, better balanced, more responsive double just because it is a vintage (and admittedly weaker) rifle (Have you noticed that modern doubles generally have shorter barrels to try to improve balance due to the thicker barrels? Would you prefer to hunt quail or grouse with a light, responsive 20 gauge or a heavy 10 gauge goose gun?)

As for your Enfield comparison, could you say that that same action is as strong today as it was in 1917? To extend this line of reasoning, would you expect a modern double to be able to handle the Weatherby and Lazzeroni cartridges, just because it is a modern double? It could happen, but it would necessitate a commensurate increase in locking surface, frame size and strength, and barrel wall thickness, with the accompanying increase in weight. This was one of the prime reasons that the 600 Nitro never gained more popularity (we won't even consider recoil here, as the 460 Wby and variants such as 510 Wells are already in the realm of massive recoil).

My point is that we all have our preferences, but does that mean that it has to be "us against them" just because we do not agree? If it was against the law to be "different" every hunter and shooter would be in grave danger because, like it or not, we are the minority (and double rifle shooters even moreso).

Peace brother ,
Jim

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm bound to be a multipersonality guy.... the three faces of Ernest??? I have two doubles made before 1911, a 1917 Enfield and a brand new CZ, both in .458 Lott. I even have a Searcy on order that's so new I haven't even decided on the caliber. Dang... I don't know what part of me to argue with.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fine post Jim.

Mr. Castelli, the gun mentor of my youth, handed me a massive Enfield action, he had once dropped on the floor of his shop.

"Nicky, hold it up to the light", said he.

"Shit, ... it's cracked", said I.

"Be very careful what you buy", said he.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's an inhereited gene, many a male Zinjancanthropus died over a flint speer that was of ventage or new make. Our weapons are like our children and "wimmen" they just have to be protected to the death.

Just remember many a clan met distuction over such disagreements! because never the twain shall meet...but gentlemen the new always won and so shall if forever be! that ought to blow some skirts up!

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Now Ray, don't tell me that you wouldn't trade that Searcy in a heartbeat if you could get "Sweet Thang" back .

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mbogo375,

My post was not directed at you. It was directed at a couple of gentleman who have been bashing modern doubles and proclaiming the superiority of some vintage stuff.

Quote:

...but it is no reason to denigrate people who prefer to hunt with a lighter, better balanced, more responsive double just because it is a vintage (and admittedly weaker) rifle.

First, please point out what words I used to denigrate someone for using a vintage double. I challenge you to find such words. It seems as if you are perceiving insult where none exists. So prove your point or spare the sanctimonious lecture.

Second, I have shopped the vintage double market thoroughly enough to realize that this business about a lighter, better balanced and more responsive double is just myth. A lot of the older doubles are heavier than their modern counterparts. As far as balance, some of the old ones are balanced and some are not. Same is true for new ones. So feel free to have your preference, but do not expted the rest of us to accept opinion as fact.

I think my point about the 1914 and 1917 Enfields has not been understood. Since American rifles made in 1914 can withstand even the highest pressures of today's cartridges 90 years later, it is a bit disappointing that vintage doubles cannot be held to the same standard as modern doubles. The fact that we need a different standard to measure vintage doubles from that used to measure modern doubles should tell us something about vintage doubles. Especailly since we do not need a double standard to meausure bolt guns from the same period.