THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Big Bore Time Trial - High Speed Shooting Follow UP

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore Time Trial - High Speed Shooting Follow UP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Everyone.
After posting the video of the Field Guide Training video showing their shooting technique. It has been suggested that we do some legitimate tests to time the different shooting methods and styles for rapid fire with .375H&H rifles and up i.e. DG Rifles.

What you will need to participate
1. Bolt action Rifle with 3+ rounds capacity
2. Video Camera with tripod to film

What I would like from you is suggested shooting techniques that would be of interest and benefit to you and would benefit hunters who are entering the big bore arena for the first time.

Once decided then lets get the tests going according to some basic guidelines and let the results speak for themselves
If we do this right these videos could serve to answer a lot of questions for a lot of people both in terms of safety and effective deployment of the rifle under hunting or guiding conditions.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vlam,

While you're at it why not get the doublers to run off four rounds (one reload) for comparison?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10346 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair game Jeff
I think it was Ganyana that wrote about a guy at the Zim tests that held his own against all the bolt guys with his double.
Thanks for that. This will be interesting to me too due to the impending purchase of my own double.
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vlan,

Then if both the O/U and SXS guys play we'll really have some comparative material to work with.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10346 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quick firing is fine, but what kind of accuracy requirment/level are you going to use for further grading the exercise?? Would the distance be some few yards, 25, 50, etc. Just curious for shooting at a pop can, bucket, etc. tells you something, but a point score would be more telling I think?? Might want to use the can of pop/soda as the prize!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy will be paramount to the success of the excercise, no spray and pray. Once we gather all of the suggestions I will put together specific rules for each technique and they will need to be adhered to for qualifying into the rules. In all cases proof of accuracy will be needed and we can also stipulate the camera angles to avoid any creative editing. Before each attempt I can e-mail a rough document across to the concerned person outlining the setup requirement with diagrams, description of the excercise, objective and score sheet to be completed and sent along with the video at the end to ensure that we have a central and consiste way of tracking all of the outcomes.
My suggestion is to use time code on the videos as a standard timing device as it is infallible.
Either way I think we will be able to finally compare apples to apples through objective testing.
Really looking forward to it. Thanks for your input guys, please alert any members you think will be able to contribute or take part in the excercise so we can get them involved.
Chat soon
Ian

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I'd think full soda cans are pretty much available world wide thanks to Coke Cola. Set them up on two or three foot tall stakes at 5, 10, 15 yards/meters/paces/cubits and film the shooter from just behind his strong side so as to catch both the shooter and the exploding cans to verify accuracy.

Shooter starts with weapon slung and on signal engages one set of targets 15, 10, 5, reloads and engages a second set from 5, 10, 15. You could do it on a handgun range if the backstop allowed and use a PACT timer if available.

But then again the only dangerous game I ever hunted has been playing cops and robbers... Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Shooter starts with weapon slung and on signal engages one set of targets 15, 10, 5, reloads and engages a second set from 5, 10, 15.

Sling? What friggen sling?? thumbdown

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Shooter starts with weapon slung at port arms and on signal engages one set of targets 15, 10, 5, reloads and engages a second set from 5, 10, 15.

Sling? What friggen sling?? thumbdown

Sorry, I was under the influence of the Vlam's video. Smiler And you guys in Oz don't get to use Foster's cans for targets. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim Shooting exam is posted African Info forum.

Basically the speed shoot is three targets at 10, 15 and 20 metres. Shooter starts with max 3rnds in rifle and carried at tail or slung. On buzzer engages targests furthest to nearest, reloads and re-engages nearest to furhtest (ie 6 rnds total)

Bull is a 6" circle.

Score divided by time. To pass you need a full score in 24 seconds or better.

I am fast, but not in the top league.

the best I have Timed with a double is Bob Warren-Coddrington (11 seconds but not a full score)

The best I have seen with a Krieghoff (ie no ejectors) is Mike Payne.

Best to date with any rifle is Spike Clarssen.

My best time is around 15 seconds. My reloads are not as slick as they could be and too bussy making sure of a centre hit.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone
Suggestions noted and compilation in progress.
Please keep it coming and invite anyone else who may have something to contribute to do the same.
Rick - agreed on the camera angle, it should work just fine and keep even the most skeptical happy
with the results

Thanks Ganyana and Mouse, I was not able to find the Zim tests, can anyone help? Searched with no joy
Thanks
Ian

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vlam:
I was not able to find the Zim tests, can anyone help? Searched with no joy
Thanks
Ian

Zim PH shooting test

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mouse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please explain "score divided by time". Are all hits on the 6" bull counted as equal or are there inner bulls? Thanks.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No . Bull is 6" and scores 5. inner is 8" and scores 3 or 4 depending on what caliber and power rifle you are using (old load .404 and .450/400 scores minor ie 3 and .416 rem and up scores 4) Remainder of targert scores 1 (minor) or 2 (.416 rem and up).

Take the target score (for all six shots) and divide that by the time to give you a "Factor" need better than 1.25 to pass.

eg score 30 points (max) in 24 secons = 1.25- just a pass. score 26 points in 18 seconds = 1.33

The record is 30 points in 11.14 seconds for a factor of 2.69

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
No . Bull is 6" and scores 5. inner is 8" and scores 3 or 4 depending on what caliber and power rifle you are using (old load .404 and .450/400 scores minor ie 3 and .416 rem and up scores 4) Remainder of targert scores 1 (minor) or 2 (.416 rem and up).

Take the target score (for all six shots) and divide that by the time to give you a "Factor" need better than 1.25 to pass.

eg score 30 points (max) in 24 secons = 1.25- just a pass. score 26 points in 18 seconds = 1.33

The record is 30 points in 11.14 seconds for a factor of 2.69

That helps. Thanks Ganyana. I was confused about the scoring too.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
< And you guys in Oz don't get to use Foster's cans for targets. Big Grin >

Nobody in OZ drinks Fosters. It's a joke we played on you yanks. Wink

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote