New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Safaris appear excellent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Many AR members have provided me with the name of a safaris they hunted with and enjoyed. Thank you, I checked out each one. I checked out each one. In addition, I've conducted my own separate research on the web. Every safaris I've checked out appears to be an excellent choice. Often, I find myself asking the question if there are many bad choices. I know there must be, as in all else but, so far, every safaris projects a very appealing picture.

Anyone hunt with Khan River, Ozanjahe Safaris, Ndandi Safaris or Aru Game Lodge? Aru, in particular, appears the most inviting.

My friend and I are interested in Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Impala and Hartman's Zebra.

Bobby B.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hven't hunted with any of the outfits you ask about. My question is when you have so many good references from hunters here that have (in most cases) a large amount of experience with the Africian scene why wonder into unchartered waters. JMO

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMO,

It is my belief that most of us here have a bit of the explorer/adventurer in them. I enjoy wandering into unchartered waters as long as the odds are with me to return in one piece. More to the point, I respect the suggestions I've received and those who gave them. I'm simply expanding my research. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge among the members here, I'm merely interested in learning from it.

I'm not after a bargain hunt but rather the overall experience. While larger tahn average trophies certainly are of great interest, I place higher value on my fellow sportsman and the hunt itself.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I think you ask a fair question, and one which comes up indirectly quite often. First of all, I have no experience with the oufits you name, so I can't comment on any of them.

I generally publish hunt reports on AR after every trip. I try to list the the good, and the bad, or at least the not perfect events. Most seem to like to only dwell on the positive - and I do understand why. I occasionally take some flack for publishing less than flattering comments. It is not my intention to slam these outfits, and I generally take great pains to list my overall impression of the trip. Pointing out the problems is simply my way of helping them improve, and giving a fair assessment to others. I've only been with one outfit (in the US, Ak to be specific) that was so horrible that I sought other means of redress. Most outfits have been great (particularly in Africa), and all at least passable. I believe more members should be more honest about the short comings of their PH / trip, so a more realistic expectation can be set.

Good Luck,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

I agree, a meaningful assessment describes both the strengths and the weaknesses and thereby provides an accurate means of measurement. I much prefer this type but I also respect those which convey only the positives. To each their own.

This will be my first safari and I'm too naive in this regard to know what to ask and what not to. Hopefully, the members here will be tolerant of my clumsy questions and offer knowledgeable advice.

Bobby B.