Find
Notify
Tools

Matetsi Observations Oct/Nov
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted
Generally good news about the Matetsi: We had good hunting with HHK in Unit 3. I just got back from Zim with no problems encountered. Here are comments on current conditions:

Weather: hot and humid. Seasonal fires blackened the area. Now rains starting, grass greening up. There is an amazing number of animals here with a wide variety. These numbers probably beat anything I'm used to in the past 15 years of hunting southern Africa. Visibility generally excellent at this time of year.

Elephant: Mostly absent when we arrived, preferring areas of Botswana not hit by fires. They are now trickling back in and probably will be quite common and as good as ever in coming months.

Lion: Plentiful. We spotted prides feeding on buffalo kills and Kudu kills nearly daily.

Leopard: Difficult hunting. I was lucky to take a 7 1/2 footer. That was the only leopard to be taken out of unit 3 so far this year.

Buffalo: Too numerous to count. Several herds wander in and out of unit 3. They number from hundreds to well over a thousand per herd. Mine went a little over 42" (with SCI score of 108) with most good bulls running 38 to 40.

Sable: Numerous herds and loners. Most mature bulls in the 40" class. Mine went 43" but we did not encounter much over 43 during the 18 days of observation.

Waterbuck: Seen daily. Mature bulls can go 30" or more. Mine was just over 30.

Eland: Occasional. Numerous old bulls. Little quota available.

Roan: Plentiful but no quota.

Tsesebe: Plentiful.

Kudu: Many young bulls. Mine went 53", but bulls over that very hard to find.

Warthog: plentiful but tusks over 12" rare.

Hyena: plentiful, mostly nocturnal.

Impala: plentiful but very skittish. They are prime targets for hunters looking for leopard bait.

Zebra: One of the most commong animals seen. They tend to run at the first sight of a safari vehicle.

Reedbuck commonly seen. Duiker and Grysbuck seen occasionally.

Good hunting!

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
How about some pictures??? Big Grin

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Matetsi and Deka are on my short list. Could you also post pics of the land and infrastructure? Would appreciate it.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote