New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this calibre is loved by many and hated by a few too.I bought one a couple of months ago and just received the licence.I was looking for a light far shooting gun with a big enough calibre to take down eland.I do alot of mountain hunting in the easten cape were 300 meter shot are often taken.So i bought the 300 light weight weatherby mag.Light enough to climb with big enough for eland.How many people have bought the gun like this one for the same or simaler purposes and are you happy with it

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmara, I have a 300 WBY Mark V That I took to Namibia May 2008, I had no problem taking Kudu, Oryx, Mountain Zebra, and several other PG. All were one shot kills shooting 180gr NP. The rifle is close to 9 lbs with scope and rings. Hope this helps

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
My partner took a .300 WM on our RSA trip in 2005.

He took kudu, springbuck, blesbuck, 350-yard Fallow deer, and a couple of impala with it.

My .338 had issues for part of the trip and I used his .300 for my zebra and two springbuck, including one across a canyon in a howling wind that I held a foot high and a foot into the wind to tag. It was a ways out there.

There's nothing at all wrong with it, other than I personally find it a bit hard to reload for.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jimmara:
I know this calibre is loved by many and hated by a few too.I bought one a couple of months ago and just received the licence.I was looking for a light far shooting gun with a big enough calibre to take down eland.I do alot of mountain hunting in the easten cape were 300 meter shot are often taken.So i bought the 300 light weight weatherby mag.Light enough to climb with big enough for eland.How many people have bought the gun like this one for the same or simaler purposes and are you happy with it[/QUOTe

Be sure and get your self a Harris Bi-Pod to use for those long shots.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark V in .300 Weatherby Mag. I love the rifle and load. Drops game hard. I imagine you will see some real recoil in a light rifle, but it sounds perfect for your stated purpose. You may need to be patient when searching for the right load. It took me some time. I have not taken the Weatherby to Africa (yet) but I have used less powerful .30 calibers on large African antelope with great results. The .300 Weatherby is more of a good thing for stuff like Eland.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father used a 300 Weatherby to take Eland and plains game on a hunt we took together in Zimbabwe (1999).

I handloaded the Weatherby with 220 grain Nosler partitions for that trip....incredibly accurate with great terminal performance.

I borrowed his rifle to make a head shot on a warthog because it was shooting so well.

Great caliber for Africa.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Arguably the best all-around caliber extant. Perfect for Africa. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I just finished my .300 Wby. It's a Vanguard that I bought a year ago and restocked it in fancy Claro walnut incorporating many accuracy and recoil reducing methods, including a trigger job. Initial results at the range with 180 gr TSX and AMAX bullets are producing great accuracy at maximum velocity. It's my new favorite rifle, I just wish I would have had it before I shot most of the South African animals that I wanted to hunt, including Cape Eland.

I also recently read an account of Elgin Gates shooting a 180 lb elephant with his .300 Wby.

I think you would be very pleased with your .300 Wby for any African plains game.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have all the rifle you need for anything from eland on down in Africa. I used mine on two trips in both cases shooting 200 grain bullets (handloaded Nosler Partitions, Federal factory ammo with TBBC) taking 16 head of game up to eland and zebra with ranges from 40 yards to 320 yards and it performed splendidly with nearly ever shot a DRT excepting the 2x I pulled the shot. If you don’t handload try the Weatherby factory stuff as it is accurate in my rifle (Model 70 CRF Winchester). The 180 grain bullets work well also but I like the heavier bullets. I have heard that the 220 Partitions shoot very well and I have some handloads ready to test for my May 2009 trip. Sight it +2.0 at 100 yards and forget the gun details and just hunt, it will do fine.

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a dyed in the wool .338 fan I have to admit I have a soft spot for the 300 Wby. I took one on my first safari and took impala, warthog, baboon, kudu, steenbuck and eland with mine. I had just shot my first eland with my .375 and took the 300 looking for a baboon. We ran into a sick eland and I shot it at about 20 yds with the 300. All four feet in the air. I used a handloaded 180 grain Nosler at a chronoed 3200 fps. for everything. Like Jorge said, it is pretty much the best all around caliber going.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a .300 Wby UltraLeightweight in Utah, Alaska and twice in Africa and am really satisfied with it. I use 180 grain Nosler Partitions exclusively. It seems to kill everything from warthog and impala to elk and kudu, from 20 yards to 275 yards, with one shot.

This load has exited from everything I shot except for a raking shot at a Wildebeeste and a spine shot just behind the brain on a very large croc.

I hope to get a leopard with this rifle next year. I would not hesitate to use it on lion and Cape buffalo, with appropriate bullets, if this were legal.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my weatherby and would shoot nothing alse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also bought at the same time a weatherby .17hmr. I dont know of anyone else in South Africa who has this calibre.When i phoned around for the calibre no one woulsd import it for me exept for a weatherby agent in Durban.I live in Joburg.Iam really looking forward to playing with that one

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taken over 30 animals with my 300 weatherby.
Mark V
Just retired it for a Christian's Arms 300 ultra
We will see...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I knew one ol guy in my little home town that shot alot of game with a 300 wby. He even killed a few buffalo, hippo with it. I think it would take care of an eland Wink

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
As long as you get used to the recoil, it will do its job as a great shooting rifle... Elgin Gates used his on a giant elephant...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as you get used to the recoil, it will do its job as a great shooting rifle...

I had a KDF muzzle brake installed on mine, and I installed a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. Recoil is no longer an issue. Ear protection is a must, but it is with all shooting.

3/4" 100yd groups with 180gr bullets at 3300 fps...my .300 Wby Vanguard is a great shooting rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a two in WBY rifles and one in a custom.

Got rid of them all. Freebore is a real problem with regard to accuracy with the 300 WBY.

I have a custom 300RUM now............there is no comparison.

The 300WBY is an antiquated design compared to the RUM. knife

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote