one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Has anyone hunted a black cat ?

Black leopard

And smaal ones too

From the internet

What is a Black Panther?
The term ‘Black Panther’ is quite often used in connection with large black cats - however there is no one distinct species of wild cat called a Black Panther. Over the years it has become used as a common name which can be applied to any large black coated cat. When you see a picture of a Black Panther it is most likely that you are looking at either a Leopard or possibly a Jaguar with Melanistic coloration.

Melanistic - derived from melanin, a dark coloured skin and hair pigment. In cats, melanism results in the fur of the animal being very dark or black in colour. In many cases the usual markings of the animal can be faintly seen through the dark fur, especially at certain angles in bright sunlight. Melanistic cats are commonly born into mixed litters along with normally coloured siblings.

In cats, melanism results in the fur of the animal being very dark or black in colour. In many cases the usual markings of the animal can be faintly seen through the dark fur, especially at certain angles in bright sunlight. Melanism occurs because of a mutation or abnormality of one of the cats genes which is associated with coat coloration and markings. Melanism is hereditary, but is not necessarily passed directly from one generation to the next - it is therefore common to see ‘mixed’ litters with one black cub along side normally coloured brothers and sisters. Melanisim can also occur in other species of wild cat - black coated caracal, Geoffrey’s cat, margay, bobcat, ocelot, jaguarundi and serval have been noted in the smaller cats as well as occasional mention of the coloration in the larger lion, tiger and cougar.

Melanistic leopards are more commonly found in dense tropical rain forest of S.E Asia - here it is thought that the dark coloration acts as better camouflage in the low sun light conditions of the forest floor, giving the cat an advantage in hunting. If this is the case, it is also possible that a black leopard will also be at an advantage in being able to provide more food for its young and as a result the probability of the melanistic gene being transferred through the population will be greater.

Black jaguar

In appearance the Jaguar is often confused with the Leopard - both cats, depending to a degree on sub-species have a similar brownish/yellow base fur colour, which is distinctively marked with dark rosette markings. However, the jaguar can be distinguished by the presence of small dots or irregular shapes within the larger rosette markings, a more stocky and muscular body and a shorter tail. Melanistic or black jaguars (see below) are common in certain parts of its range and are often confusingly labelled 'Black Panthers', a name which is also applied to black Leopards. In this melanistic form the cats are more difficult to separate, however the jaguars large head and stocky forelimbs are often a good way to differentiate between the two cats.

http://www.gapingmaws.com/bigcats.htm

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/agarman/bco/fact2.htm

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Magnificent looking animal. Thank You!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick

You like cats Wink This link has some great pictures.
http://www.bergoiata.org/fe/felins/10.htm

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Melanism also occurs with Bushbuck. Elgin Gates has a chapter in his book "Trophy Hunter in Africa", where he describes taking both black Leopard and black Bushbuck on Mt Kenya (I believe it was?)
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

Many years ago, a black panther was trapped in the Yercaud hills in Tamilnadu and was brought to the Vandalur zoo when it was being built. I worked at the transit enclosure where captured animals were brought in for a six month quarantine at the time. This was near the fodder bank behind the zoo and the zoo authorities tried to cross it with other leopards but it didn't work for some reason. The animal died and it was mounted and preserved at the Madras Museum in Egmore where you can still see it.

For some reason, Indian zoos have been successful in breeding white tigers but I have not heard of any black panther being bred in captivity. Perhaps Lynx or Rustam could correct me if I am wrong.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They say there are black leopards in the kruger park but I've never seen them.........however I did see one many years ago in the Selous Reserve Tanzania........but not for long! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, Indian zoos have been successful in breeding white tigers but I have not heard of any black panther being bred in captivity. Perhaps Lynx or Rustam could correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Mehul.

I have seen quite a few at Bannerghatta in the company of Ol' Spots but cannot say if they have been successful in breeding them.

Rustam

Posts: 173 | Location: Bangalore, India. | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Those little ones don't look so tough! Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, Indian zoos have been successful in breeding white tigers but I have not heard of any black panther being bred in captivity.

There's two wealthy guys in Las Vegas who go by the names of Sigfried and Roy, they might be able to breed a black panther.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black leopards have been breeding in American zoos for years. This is nothing new or unusual. Back in the late 60's and early 70's the Indianapolis zoo had a black male and a normal female that produced a litter every year for a long time. More normal cubs were produced but they had their share of black ones.

DC300

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I belive that the melanistic gene is recessive and to produce a black cub, both parents must carry the gene.

However because the gene is recessive it means that a normal spotted cat can carry the gene but will only throw black kittens when it mate also carries the gene.

Lt Col Locke in "The Tigers of Trengganu" mentions that in Malaya that it was the spotted variety of leopard which was the rarity with the vast majority of leopards taken by him and others of that time (late 1940's/early 50's) were black...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of MamunurRahman
posted Hide Post
Jeffery.

There are still few black leopards and clouded leopards in the North Eastern part of the Chittagong Hill tracts in Bangladesh.There is one recorded incident of clouded leopard mauling a solder on foot patrol during the late 80's. The few skins that have ever been recovered were from such animals which were poisoned by pesticide when they turned to killing domistic live stock instead wild life. Leopards are more adaptable for survival than the tiger. Leopards still kill domestic cattle in the tea estates once in a while and hunt the wild deer in its adjoining forest too.

Mamun

Posts: 34 | Location: Mississauga,Onatrio.Canada | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the great replyes.
Mamun thank you for the story on the clouded leopard.

Cheers,

André