New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: HATRED of levers ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems to me that the 50-110 would be an awesome caliber with a 525 gr. GS Customs or Northfork, flat nose solid, or how about a cup point from Northfork, now that would be a hammer.....

I think I'm getting the itch for a 50-110 in an 86 Win., I think the Browning version would be the better as it has the newer modern steel..Then top it off with a nice piece of Turkish walnut, wow!

I better go visit Jim Brockman or John Ricks and get some quotes on the conversion...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We took a Browning Lever Rifle (model 81) in caliber 7/08 to Namaibia in 2000 as my wife shot it well. I had already killed a number of deer with it at the ranch. Sure enough...I am looking at a beautiful male Oryx that she killed with it along side another (female} I killed on the same trip with one of those outdated calibers.. 30/06.
I would take that lever rifle anyplace I thought a 7/08 would do a good job. Can't see much of Africa a damn bit different from a couple of my Texas ranches.
Now...I got one of those pump Rem. 7600's that Graff or Grice or somebody had done up in 35 Whelen. I am going back to Namibia and South Africa in 2005 and I can't see why that rifle won't do a good job provided it will shoot proper groups.
Guess I am kinda stupid...it is my money, my safari and who in hell is to tell me what I can and can not hunt it with? If all this stuff can be killed with a stick and string I should be able to get the job done with a lever and pump.
Bullet placement and bullet construction are still the keys to it all....correct?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great post Harry!

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

MR.Atkinson,I E-mailed NF and ask that question, they said they could not do it as the bullet would be to long and not enough orders for that kind of bullet.I think I also E-mailed GS Customs and I remember they said it would work,but I am not sure if I can still get bullets from them?,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

RUSTY, the center round in pic above is the 50-110 with a 525 WFNHC, one on the left is a 400,45-70 and the one on the right is a 525.50AK,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
urdubob:

I smiled on reading your last post.However, the problem is that prospective hunters to Africa rely on experienced people like you to give them sound advice. You can kiss off the obvious fools but please don't forget that this site is read by people who want to listen to what you have to say. They will listen to you. (I just read of someone who says he's taking a Win.32 Special to Africa. Good luck to him.) That's what you need to talk about -not to convince fools to change their minds but to help newcomers to recognize fools.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Quote:

urdubob:

I smiled on reading your last post.However, the problem is that prospective hunters to Africa rely on experienced people like you to give them sound advice. You can kiss off the obvious fools but please don't forget that this site is read by people who want to listen to what you have to say. They will listen to you. (I just read of someone who says he's taking a Win.32 Special to Africa. Good luck to him.) That's what you need to talk about -not to convince fools to change their minds but to help newcomers to recognize fools.

I think you give me more credit than I am due. I have only hunted in africa two times and shot about 38 head of plains game. So I am no expert on DG rifles.

I due however own several origanal english DG rifles. I wish to use what has been proven.

375 H&H

.404 Jeffery

425 westly Richards

416 Rigby

any of the 400 class or up double rifles.

We know these have been tested in the field and work very well.

Thanks and have a great day,

URDUBOB

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mims, and IMO any caliber that will work on elk will work fine on African plainsgame, even Eland if your carefull and place your shot, but hey that shot placement applies to a 600 nitro express also....

I would hunt plainsgame with a 30-30 or 32 Special and never look back, but I would adjust my hunting style to hunting and not just shooting, get in close and put a 170 gr. pill behind the shoulder and all plainsgame will die pretty fast...

Dangerous game is a whole nuther ball game, use enough gun is the rule of thumb, and chose by your recoil tolerence..I can shoot a 577 N.E. if I have to, but I have to mentally think "don't flinch", thats my clue not to hunt with one..so I have settled on the 40s..a 416 Rem., 404, 375 and a 9.3x62...I can shoot my .470 without thinking about recoil, but I load it down to 2050 FPS, and it works fine....

A properly constructed bullet, at decent velocity stuck in the right spot, is the clue to success in hunting any animal from rabbit to elephant...caliber is mostly secondary IMO.....

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
Thanks for the endorsement of my 32 Special, even if others think I'm an idiot. The last time I took it to RSA (1977)I used it quite a bit and since what I want most is a really nice bushbuck with my 32 that's what I'll do.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

BFaucett,I also have a browning 1895 and the action is as smooth as butter,great rifle. I am only going to replace the sights with Brockman ghost rings,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I just got an E-mail from Kodiak Bullets, they told me they make 570 grain FN in .510 bullets on custom orders. They told me they would make some before the holidays but must have a few orders to make it worth wild,Kev

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Dangerous game is a whole nuther ball game, use enough gun is the rule of thumb,

I'm sure Will is going to call me a pussy, but I had one of those pivotal moments when My PH Mike Payne looked at me with my rifle on my sling and a camera in my hand and said, "THAT is how you die in Africa!"

Look at his face, at those fresh bones, and tell me you'd want a 30-30 in your hands.

When hunting in Dangerous Game country, I'd prefer to carry a rifle capable of STOPPING something even if I was just hunting plains game.

Bob Fontana would probably back me on that. Am I wrong?

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was the bait put out for in that photo ???

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Big fat zebra quarters and a buffalo rib cage. For hyena...but we mostly had lions

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But what were you trying to lure with the buff and zebra parts ????

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote