THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia or South Africa trophy export cost?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia or South Africa trophy export cost?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
What is the going rate to ship 10-15 animals capes and skulls from Namibia or South Africa to USA?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might as well guess what number will come up on a Roulette wheel but if somebody put a gun to my head and made me guess I would say between $2500-$3000 US.

This is based on what a friend payed on his shipment this year from Namibia.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Dip and pack of 10 capes and skulls from an East London taxidermist...... $2400

Shipping to Chicago from said taxidermist shipping department of these 10...... $1400

These are numbers from June - December 2014

$3800 to Chicago

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
One hunter or 2?

all raw or some finished work?

What trophy's are you looking at?

Skulls for euro mounts - shoulder mounts or a mix of the euro and shoulder mounts.

Shipping for 1 hunter would be in the range of:
Skulls raw skins $40 to $150 each.

Packing from $500 to $1000
Air Shipping $1000

So 15 animals at $90 = $1350
Packing for 15 animals = $1000
Air shipping = $1000
Importer and trucking to your taxidermist = $1000
Taxidermist fees
euro's at about $250 (depends on what you have)
and
Shoulder at about $850 (depends on what you have)
10 euro mounts = $2500 (estimate)
5 shoulder mounts = $4250 (estimate)
tanned hides = $250 ea (not sure on this one)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI-
Here is an excerpt from an email I received from Namibia Safari Shippers a couple of days ago. This shipment contains a dipped kudu cape, skull, and horns, and a finished/tanned/felted Hartman's zebra rug. I figure it will cost me another $900 to have an agent clear customs for me, and ship it from Houston to Midland, TX.

Airfreight to Houston : prepaid ( telegraphic / wire transfer or credit card payment necessary)
1 ( one ) package / 27.0 kg effective weight / 47,0 kg chargeable weight / dims 112x52x48 cm
pre-carriage charges to Windhoek Intl. Airport, handling, labelling, incl. 1 set Wildlife and Veterinary export permits and certificates, export customs declaration plus the necessary veterinary transit certificates for 3rd countries, facility fee USD 216,20
Official trophy treatment / cleaning + dipping as per our Namibian State Vet requirements USD 165,00
Packing and packing material USD 50,00
Airfreight from Windhoek up to CIF Houston Airport, based on a chargeable weight of 47,0 kg USD 432,40
Basic transport insurance cover (premium 1,1% on cost of replacement value of trophies only) USD 26,40
Total amount due USD 890.00 ( total transit time approx. 21 days)

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JGRaider: If you use ABX in Houston to clear your shipment expect to more than double those costs.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just paid about 1300 US to ship 9 hides/horns from Namibia through jobergh to Houston

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
JGRaider: If you use ABX in Houston to clear your shipment expect to more than double those costs.

Thanks for the heads up Stonecreek. I am scheduled to use Well Worldwide Logistics in Houston. They were recommended to me by our own Jerry Huffaker, who is doing the kudu mount for me.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brother in law is a taxidermist, and would you believe not a hunter?

Anyway, as long as he can borrow the half of it for a year or two the price is just cost.

He needs a ton of animals for experience and competitions.

quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
One hunter or 2?

all raw or some finished work?

What trophy's are you looking at?

Skulls for euro mounts - shoulder mounts or a mix of the euro and shoulder mounts.

Shipping for 1 hunter would be in the range of:
Skulls raw skins $40 to $150 each.

Packing from $500 to $1000
Air Shipping $1000

So 15 animals at $90 = $1350
Packing for 15 animals = $1000
Air shipping = $1000
Importer and trucking to your taxidermist = $1000
Taxidermist fees
euro's at about $250 (depends on what you have)
and
Shoulder at about $850 (depends on what you have)
10 euro mounts = $2500 (estimate)
5 shoulder mounts = $4250 (estimate)
tanned hides = $250 ea (not sure on this one)

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I had a crate shipped from RSA just after Christmas.

It contained the following:

1 oribi full skin and skull
1 common reedbuck cape and skull
1 blesbok cape and skull
1 Vaal rhebok full skin and skull
1 zebra flat skin
1 blue wildebeest flat skin and skull
1 bushpig half skin and skull
1 blue duiker full skin and skull
1 ostrich cape, back skin and legs
1 bushbuck cape and skull

Total shipping cost $938.44 for a crate size 115 x 96 x 65 cm with a volumetric weight of 119.6, which they charged based upon the volumetric size from paperwork. Weight was 79 kg.

Getting the crate from Houston to Victoria, TX added another $125.

I thought this quote was very affordable and happily paid it.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
From RSA last Sept:

No of Packages: 1 DIMS: 132 X 69 X 65 / Actual Mass: : 80 Kg (Verified) / Chargeable
Mass: 99 Kg (Verified)

$888.90 to Chicago

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Windhoek last July.

13 animals. D&P = $910 at $70 per animal.

2 crates (2 hunters, 1 per) $810 per crate to Chicago. Crates were 120X85X60 cm. About 65 kg apiece.

Something like $200 to clear each using D&L.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote