New
Find
Notify
Tools

The last ivory hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just finished this book yesterday. Absolutely wonderful read. Anybody else agree?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
NMNN, I agree that is a fine book and like most of the old Ivory hunters, Old Wally Johnson was somewhat of rogue! Those old guys got into a lot of tight spots on occasion! It has been years since I read that book, but the cover picture is worth the price of the book! How about the picture of the results of the man eating lion? Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That picture was pretty bad. I liked he caption: "Notice the cat bit right through the knee to sever the lower leg."

That guy sure has experienced the worst Africa has to offer. A gaboon viper bite, 2 buff gorings, communist revolution, malaria, yeesh it's a wonder the guy survived at all.

Is he still alive? Anybody know?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider that book one of my favorites. I read it over and over. As it says, Wally Johnson has been to hell and back several times. He lost his home, and most of what he had when the he was driven from the country he lived in, practically at gun point, and had many tough times before and after. A really good read. thumb

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote