New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-14-21 day hunts?
 Login/Join

Picture of Jason Pitzer
posted
I was wondering why on some safaris. You can only shoot some animals only when you book for so many days I would think that if you have the opp to shot something you cant. Why can't you? Thanks for the info.

I believe strongly, that the flesh of the living animal is something very sacred. If you cannot bear freezing int he mud and wind of winter whilst you find them, if you cannot kill them yourself....and if you cannot stomach the stench and feel of guts and blood......
You have not the right to eat meat.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Lots of reasons, some financial and some conservation related. (amongst others) If someone came along on a 7 day licence for example and shot an Elephant, a Leopard and a Lion etc etc then the outfitter would be out of quota before the season was less than half over and then he loses money on the daily rate and can't make a profit and goes out of business.

If quota is increased then there would be no game left...... so parks boards/game departments also like the system of only allowing certain animals to be hunted on certain length hunts.

Of course, a hunter on a short licence is usually free to pay the upgrade fee for a longer licence if he suddenly decides he wants to take an animal that only occurs on a longer licence........ but of course, it's not cheap!

Picture of Jason Pitzer
posted Hide Post
Yea was just wondering becuse they had like huney badgers and other small game on there and would like to take one while in africa.

I believe strongly, that the flesh of the living animal is something very sacred. If you cannot bear freezing int he mud and wind of winter whilst you find them, if you cannot kill them yourself....and if you cannot stomach the stench and feel of guts and blood......

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It does depend on which country you hunt in. some countries such as RSA and parts of Botswana (Tuli Block for example)are more flexible and for most species there isn't a time restriction........

Picture of Jason Pitzer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shakari.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To add to what Shakari says, in Tanz you are not licensed to hunt the glamour game unless you are buying a 21day license. This includes the spiral horns, sable, lion, leopard, elephant and even some exotics like gerenuk.(I think)

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I thought that the species/duration scheme was set up for economic purposes. For example, hunting the comparitively less exotic and more plentiful plains game on shorter licenses provides "X" amount of work for outfitters, who, in turn, employ "Y" number of staff. In order to hunt more exotic and more dangerous (less numerous/more desirable) game, one must book for more days thereby providing more employment/income for staff, outfitter and government alike.
Am I way off base on this, anyone?
DAve

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

You need to understand that essentially with the DG species such as say Leopard Lion Elephant when these are stipulated as 14, 18, or 21 day hunts that means you get (charged for 14, 18, or 21 days) @ the daily advertised rate, and then a (token specie fee) is added on, the main cost being the daily rate charges ... you can ( of cource) depart from the hunt after 3 or 4 days if you choose or anytime after the animals have been hunted, so it is ESSENTIALYY a (commercially nominated rate) often set by the countries hunting regulations and has nothing to do with the time taken to hunt.

Generally for mixed bag plains game ( apart from ) the prime species such as Sable Roan, the days allocated just gives you a chosen time to hunt more animals, and the daily rates and specie fees are more economic and reflective I believe.

It goes without saying that you will get more animales hunting for 10 days as opposed to 7 days.

Sable & Roan come into that UPPER BRACKET of special rare species category, and hence are normally only found on 10 -12 day charge hunts //

So what I am saying is, DONT always equate the number of days allocated or defined, to the actual difficulty to successfully hunt a specie, in the main it is based upon a commercially structured system.

Although the system primarily applies to government controlled areas more so than the private ranches, the ranches also generally follow the same commercially based system as they come under hunting regulations as well, but you will find ranches do and are more able to be flexable

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Shakari is right when it comes to hunting RSA. There's more flexibility there.