Tools

Pretoria isn't Pretoria any more!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is the same anymore, they have changed the name of everything except Micky Mouse and Donald Duck, and only because Bush threatened sanctions if they did that and the Texas Rangers said they would kick their ass.....so Mickey is safe, and the duck can take care of himself...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42131 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"South Africa's capital has renamed itself Tshwane...."

Can't blame this one on the politicians.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
with my cowboy drawl, I had a hard enough time saying pretoria.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
They should jump ahead and name it Faluga and get it over with.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Africa is chaos, to a greater or lesser degree, and I'm afraid Will may be right.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Well Jo'burg renamed itself Ghettoburg a few years ago.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems Nelson and the Boys are working overtime to erase any trace of the Whiteguys.Funny they seem to ignore that fact when Foreign Cash is needed "Have Fun with your Submarine,Nelson"What a Clown......4t1mag

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
It is going to cost millions to change everything, roadsigns, maps,bussiness cards, letterheads you name it. It will also cost the local industry a lot of money for the changes. It is also not only the name Pretoria that will be changed but also a lot of street names. We have a 37% unemployed rate, a lot of poor people and we need to spend a lot of money on education, why spend it on silly things like name changes.

I have no problem with the metropolitan being called Tshwane, but why change the name Pretoria, the majority of people living in Pretoria are white, the majority in Mabopane are black as is in Soshanguve. Let the people living in a specific area decide on the name not a bunch of politicians

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There is great hunting near there:

TSHWANE HUNTING

Could this be what Stephen Foster was musing about, and Al Jolson singing in blackface... instead of a river originating in the Okefenokee Swamp.

How do you pronounce "Tshwane" phonetically?.... Way down upon the Tshwane River, long time ago???

quote:
The city's new name comes from a chief who ruled in the area before the Voortrekkers, settlers of Dutch and French Huguenot descent, arrived in the 19th century and founded the city, which they called after one of their leaders.

Oh, I guess the above settles it, but hey, don't you folks be so harsh on ol' Chief Tshwane... I remember reading about him. Wasn't he the guy who built libraries to store the wealth of his peoples literature, chartered the wonderful Tshwane University and Hospital, invented the wheel and even developed the first three-hole shitter... or some other glory to mankind.

Some folks are worthy of honor and remembering. I wonder what Tshwane did? Maybe if you wear a T-Shirt with his picture on it, you can get the ever-elusive "exit row" seat on the damned AirBus. Until then, I guess I'll continue to get "pay back" for the sailing vessel "Wanderer".

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi AR Gentlemen

Pretoria Or Tshwane ,,,, who cares the hunting is still excellent in SA.

" op-die knoppe "

Posts: 51 | Location: midrand South Africa | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Scmidie, who cares what the place is called as long as the hunting is good.

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They change the name because thats about the the only thing they can accomplish. Typical africa-think. Now politicians can point to the new road signs and say " see what we have done for the people." Unfortunately the concept of investment is still foreign to most black africans.

Posts: 1520 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What new road signs? Those signs won't last til morning. They'll be nailed to a tin roof or made into a grill for the fire before the paint is dry.

All those beautiful buildings in Pretoria. Wonder how long they will last?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Maybe the "new" city can have a renamed main thoroughfare "Comrade Robert Mugabe Drive".

And I am not kidding. Mad

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote