Find
Notify
Tools

One Year Ago
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
June 24, 2016 I was walking through the rainforest with Pygmy porters and Daniel my tracker. The day before we learned from another group of Pygmies that Cam's health took a turn for the worse while in the Pygmy Village and left to find medical attention. With no money, no passport, and no transportation after we walked and paddled out of the rainforest my situation was a little disconcerting.

All of that paled in comparison to the sat phone call I made and learned of Cam's death. It was even more difficult to tell Daniel that he lost the man he viewed as a Father.

So tonight if you are sitting around a campfire or in your trophy room raise your glass and toast to the memory of one of the last true adventurers, Cam Greig.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I feel blessed to have known him and took one of his unguided foot safaris in northern Cameroon. Most personally rewarding safari I have been on. A fine gentleman-RIP

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to believe that was a year ago already. I'll gladly raise a glass to him this evening.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly I missed the opportunity to meet Cam Mike. My glass will be raised.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:

one of the last true adventurers, Cam Greig.

I never hunted with Cam but I did some anti-poaching for him in Cameroon and we did a bit of shooting together here in the states. He did things that 99.99% of us would never have the guts to do and yet he was very humble.

It is sad to think that Cam died so young. I take comfort knowing that he experienced more in his short life that most of us could ever dream of.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shall do the same ... it was one of my greatest adventures ... I wonder how Daniel is doing ?

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered that myself. My guess is he is lost without Cam's guiding influence.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Daniel and I exchanged emails a couple of months back. I asked Daniel if he was hunting in hope that a Cameroon operator hired him. His response was that Mr. Cam was gone so he was not hunting.

Cam was a strong influence in his life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I raised a cold glass....hope he liked Vodka & Tonic at Sunset.....

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raised a triple shot of White Label DeWars ..a true adventurer we lost!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I never met Cam, though our homes were only a few hours apart. Always wanted to meet him and look into one of his self guided hunts. He surely was admired and liked by many.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly I missed the opportunity to meet Cam Mike. My glass will be raised.

Im too.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thanks for the reminder....we are on the Oregon Coast and will very shortly have a nice fire...we will toast to our great friend TODAY!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of that. That was one hunt and outfit that was on my bucket list. I will raise a glass sounded like a fine man and true adventurer. Are there others to carry on "Self guided Africa"? Truly hope so I stumbled across them a few years back when I was looking for just such an operation

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Cam offered something unique in today's Africa. I never met him but I did talk to him on the phone at length one day. That niche he carved out in Cameron was very special and without him it might never have been offered to Westerners. The hunting community is poorer for his death.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Sorry to hear of that. That was one hunt and outfit that was on my bucket list. I will raise a glass sounded like a fine man and true adventurer. Are there others to carry on "Self guided Africa"? Truly hope so I stumbled across them a few years back when I was looking for just such an operation

As far as I know, there is no one else offering this sort of hunt. Cam used to refer to regular hunts as Toyota safaris and he was exactly right. Until you strap on a pack and head into the wilderness with a bunch of porters that don't speak English, it's hard to really appreciate what guys 125 years ago accomplished. It's the hardest hunt you will ever LOVE, and Cam made it happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully someone will step in the void and carry on with his spirit of adventure...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote