Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hyena hunt?
 Login/Join

posted
I have had the good fortune to hunt Namibia in '10 and again in '11, both times pursuing plains game. Both trips were magical, and not a day goes by that I do not think about Africa, and how I can get back. I suspect a few good folks on this forum know how I feel.
The nice thing about hunting plains game is that it can be done fairly economically. But after two trips I have amassed a pretty good collection of quality plains game. So now what?
While I would love to hunt dangerous game, I just don't have the resources at this point in my life to pull it off.
So I was thinking it would be really exciting to go somewhere where I could pursue spotted hyena over bait, and maybe some of the smaller, less common antelopes. I would love to do all or some of it with a bow, as that is my first love. I am also open to ideas and suggestions.
Thanks for taking the time guys. I love reading the post on this forum, and living vicariously through all of your adventures. It is very inspirational.
Pepperpot

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
calling in hyenas are a different hunt, and fun!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Hyena would be fun, fairly economical and can be done in Namibia. What about some of the "little cats"?

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"At this point in my life" I can't afford ...

Another option is not to spend the money on something that gives instant gratification but is not what you really want and save for what you do. If you spend the money on the consolation prize, you may never achieve your goal. Not being judgemental, just a thought.

Posts: 10318 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to shoot several for very little money in Matetsi. Stupid animals easily baited and sold to us hunters as "little lions". I refused to take any but I did take pictures.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
calling in hyenas are a different hunt, and fun!

Sounds like a blast! Any info you have regarding an outfit that would be willing to do this kind of hunt would be appreciated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunting For Adventure:
Hyena would be fun, fairly economical and can be done in Namibia. What about some of the "little cats"?

I think a "little cat"/hyena combo would be incredible, and exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Especially if I could hunt with archery tackle. Any info you might have would be appreciated, thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

Another option is not to spend the money on something that gives instant gratification but is not what you really want and save for what you do. If you spend the money on the consolation prize, you may never achieve your goal. Not being judgemental, just a thought.

Lavaca, I see your point. I am just not willing to save for years and have my family do without so I can go on a buff or elephant or leopard hunt that might or might not be everything I hoped it would be.
I just want to get back to Africa, and for someone who has hunted a fair bit of plains game, a hyena (especially if it could be done with archery tackle) sounds like it could be a great adventure.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
I had the opportunity to shoot several for very little money in Matetsi. Stupid animals easily baited and sold to us hunters as "little lions". I refused to take any but I did take pictures.

Interesting observation, I always heard that hyenas are quite clever?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pepperpot:
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

Lavaca, I see your point. I am just not willing to save for years and have my family do without so I can go on a buff or elephant or leopard hunt that might or might not be everything I hoped it would be.
I just want to get back to Africa, and for someone who has hunted a fair bit of plains game, a hyena (especially if it could be done with archery tackle) sounds like it could be a great adventure.

I understand your situation. I enjoy hunting hyena and it's worth the money.
Try an area that also offers a tracking hunt for Eland. You will have good fun.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pepperpot, I understand your situation especially regarding your preference for an archery hunt. It would just add that extra dimension to a more "budget" predator hunt. I'm sure there are many outfitters in RSA, Namibia and Zim that could set you up for this one. On my 2012 bow safari with CMS we put out a bait for hyena but were surprised by a group of wild dogs coming in!! I did learn that you have to be completely set up for an after dark shot. You need to make sure that you have a light to illuminate your pins and be able to see your peep. The PH needs to be properly set up for archery with a rheostat light, etc. Hyena are crafty creatures and I think you will only get one chance.
I would imagine that you could find a hunt of this nature more at PG daily rates too, which should help the budget
JCHB

Posts: 422 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Pepperpot,
I did a pg hunt in Namibia in 2011, and was able to
take a hyena over bait. That was my best hunt, and
the full mount is my favorite trophy.
With an arrow that will be an amazing hunt!

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

NAVALUK believe it or not the Hyena make a very nice shoulder mount, and fine addtion to any African trophy display!

My advice is to anyone hunting Africa, if the Hyena is available to you take it you will be pleased with a well done shoulder mount.

................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried for Hyena a couple of times with no sucess and will try this fall in Ethopia if a license is available. I have found them to be very wiley. Hunting them with a purpose is much different than taking one by chance. Hope you can find a good outfitter to do the hunt you want.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I've looked for Hyena on every safari I've been on and specifically hunted them in South Africa with no luck. That hunt entailed shooting bait animals, hanging baits, checking them and trail cams each day, and then waiting for them. Basically all the elements of a lion hunt. They are wary. I'm going to try again in August in Zimbabwe where I'm told they are plentiful so we will see.

A bow kill will be a feat to be proud of.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We spent many nights trying to call spotted hyena in the desert of Namibia last year. It is pretty creepy, but exciting! Unfortunately, we were unsuccessful.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:

I understand your situation. I enjoy hunting hyena and it's worth the money.
Try an area that also offers a tracking hunt for Eland. You will have good fun.

+1 on the Hyena/ Eland hunt. tu2

They both make a great hunt.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good day "Pepperpot"
I read your post with interest as coincidentally I have a friend coming over in May for just this type of hunt. He's done the buffalo etc but hyena have eluded us so far so it will be a hyena & plains game hunt !
I wonder if you had much feed back to your query
"Any info you have regarding an outfit that would be willing to do this kind of hunt would be appreciated."

Chinanga Safaris
Phone : 263) 9 247021
Mobiles : 263) 712211822 & 712613613
e-mail : terryfenn@yoafrica.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pepperpot,

If you can work in a tracking hunt for eland with your hyena as suggested above, I think you'll get a good taste of buffalo hunting. If you like tracking eland, good bet you'll love tracking buff.

Good luck,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pepperpot-

I did just the hunt you've described last summer in The Bubye Consevancy in Zim, booked through John Sharp. Hyena are VERY plentiful there, I preferred not to bait (just don't like sitting in hides) but used foxpro caller w/hyena chatter and buffalo calf bawls. Saw 30+ hyena & shot a big male. Now I'd like a n even bigger pseudo-hermaphroditic alpha female. Also took civet cat, baboon, jackal. Saw, but no shots, at honey badgers. It'd be a real challenge w/bow, took mine w/rifle & shotgun.