Find
Notify
Tools

A little history for you
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
175 years ago today on 16th December 1838 the Battle of Blood River was fought between 470 Afrikaner Voortrekkers & many thousands of Zulus in which 3000 Zulus died & less than a handful of the voortrekkers wounded. The nearby river was said to have run red with blood.

Before the battle, the Afrikaaners swore a vow to God that if he bought them victory, they would build a Church & forever honour the date. This was/is known as The Day Of The Vow or The Day Of The Covenant.

The battle site now has a monument to the battle in the form of a number of life sized wagons in laarger & (IIRC) 2 cannons.

This monument is well worth a visit for those who are hunting in the area & I can highly recommend it to you all.

The date is very important to the Afrikaner people so I'll be raising a glass to the health, safety & prosperity of all my Afrikaner friends at 2100 hours tonight.

As an aside, I happen to own a small piece of land that overlooks the monument & if you stand on it & look west at the right time of day, you'll see the monument & the sun setting immediately behind it.

Not bad for an old Rooinek to know that huh!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will toast to that.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scriptus thank you for the info. Read it all.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
My Dad's birthday is on the 16th Dec, he seems to think that the "Old" public holiday was for his benefit Big Grin

Now they've changed it to "reconciliation day"
And buried Nelson on the 15th so me thinks a Double holiday is on the cards

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Thank you for the SA history lesson. I for one never knew this.
Man I like this site more everyday just because of these bits of info everyone shares.

Wish you ALL down there the best,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave

I deliberately didn't mention the name change as I reckon it's BS. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

The date is very important to the Afrikaner people so I'll be raising a glass to the health, safety & prosperity of all my Afrikaner friends at 2100 hours tonight.

I will certainly hold my glass high with you...but...I am afraid, in today's world, their efforts were in vain. Frowner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36651 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll raise a toast to their memory of success.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, "facta non verba" Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave

Steve , it's seems the old man passed months ago in June and they kept him alive!this was so that they could arrange the funeral.

Now there is a strong push to make the 15th a holiday. It was all over the radio today.

These buggers are soooo predictable.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:
quote:
Dave

Steve , it's seems the old man passed months ago in June and they kept him alive!this was so that they could arrange the funeral.

Now there is a strong push to make the 15th a holiday. It was all over the radio today.

Wonder whether they'll use the same sign language interpreter .....

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:

Dave,

That certainly was the big rumour and quite believable IMO.

It'd certainly explain the big family visit to the hospital and then the family burial plot and their belief of using the buffalo thorn/Ziziphus Mucronata/burial tree would even have allowed them to conduct their version of a private burial service at the time........ but of course, it'll be one of those mysteries we'll probably never know the whole truth of.

As for the 15th, you blokes will soon have more public holidays than you have working days! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:

As for the 15th, you blokes will soon have more public holidays than you have working days! Wink

You cannot fault the ANC there, they are working hard at it. Combine the public holidays together with the labour strikes and no-one will be at work. stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have visited the memorial at Blood River and it is most definitely worth seeing. Between the wagons are replicas of the gates made by the boers to keep the Zulu from breaching the Lager. There are also relicas of the lanterns used by the Boers in case of a night attack. Of the many historical sites in South Africa Blood River is one of my favorites. if you are close enough to visit Blood River, then you can make a day of it and see Rorke's Drift, Isandlhwana and the Second Anglo-Boer War Museum at Talana Hill. I highly recommend Penny Farthing Bed and Breakfast. Foy is a great tour guide and host.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I visited the Voortrekkers Museum in Pretoria. There is a hole in the top of the great dome. As I recall, on this date the sun is supposed to shine its rays at noon on a Medallion placed in the floor.

The museum is very impressive. I recommend a visit.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Brice

You mean the Voortrekker Monument.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Voortekker Monument is very impressive. We will discuss the Battle of Blood River on High Caliber Radio/TV this Friday. I will try to scan in some of my photos so we can run them with the commentary. You can watch/listen at www.highcaliberradio.com, click the arklahoma vision icon. we will be live 1p-3p cst and archived after that.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote