THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Clearing Guns At Johannesburg International

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clearing Guns At Johannesburg International
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HUNT REPORT E-MAIL EXTRA

Clearing Guns At Johannesburg International Airport:
An On-Site Report

Dear E-Mail Extra Subscriber Kathi Klimes,

How bad is it, really, trying to clear guns this summer at Johannesburg International Airport (JIA)? What's causing the problem? And what can you do about it?

Hunting Report Managing Editor Barbara Crown just passed through JIA on her way to Tanzania and called me with an on-site report. She didn't have to clear her own guns at JIA because she was passing straight through, but she made a point of talking with arriving hunters and even interviewing the Chief Inspector, a man by the name of Conroy.

The good news first. The summer crunch is largely over now, Crown reports, so the almost intolerable six-, seven-, even eight-hour waits that were being experienced earlier in the year have melted to an hour or so. Crown says the day she passed through JIA (August 15) all but a few hunters arriving on the flight she did from Atlanta (SAA 210) were cleared within an hour. She says there were four police officers handling the arriving hunters - two physically inspecting the firearms and two handling the paperwork. By all appearances, she says, the process was orderly and efficient.

So, why the long delays earlier this year? Because hunters tend to arrive in huge groups, she says, quoting Inspector Conroy. The biggest jam-ups occurred with the arrival earlier this year of the flights from Atlanta, some of which had upwards of 75 hunters on them. "It takes seven to 15 minutes to process a permit," Conroy told Crown. "That does not take into account the time inspectors have to spend talking to hunters, especially those whose paperwork is not in order."

Conroy invited Crown to "do the math" on a line of 75 hunters. He went on to note that incomplete and/or inaccurate paperwork on the part of hunters was a major factor in the delays. Common mistakes are the use of blue (instead of black) ink on the paperwork and hunters failing to follow instructions - that is, by showing up with ammo for a firearm not in their possession, for example, and not providing the passport number of one's wife just because she didn't come with you (that's right - you do have to provide this information even if your wife in not with you, according to Conroy!).

If you are not getting the picture here, you better: Bureaucratic details matter when you show up at JIA. And get this: Conroy made a point of telling Crown that arriving hunters better not lose their cool. "I am not going to clear the guns of an individual who gets angry in line," Conroy said firmly. "Why should we let someone like that into the country with a firearm?"

Is this a smart way for South Africa to behave toward high-ticket tourists? The answer to that question will be clear when individual hunters make their decision about where to hunt next year. In the meantime, I think there is an important tip buried here: namely, hunters on the Atlanta SAA flights during the peak of the season are the ones who suffered the most this year. I'm not sure what can be done about that, but there are some suggestions emerging. One I've heard is to go to South Africa via Buenos Aires on Air Malaysia, which arrives in Cape Town, not Johannesburg. Clearing a gun in Cape Town is said to be a breeze.

Before 2006 rolls around, if something is not done, I predict other solutions to this problem at JIA are going to emerge. Some of them may not be in the best interest of SAA and the hunting industry in South Africa. - Don Causey, Editor/Publisher.

Additional Notes
There is no further word on the possibility of a South African Airways pilot strike. I am monitoring the situation and will let you know if something breaks.
There has been a horrific hunting accident in Alaska. Seems an assistant hunting guide shot a client in the head. We are looking into the incident and will have more later. In the meantime, you can read the horrible details by clicking on the hyperlink below:

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9409 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Kathi

Thanks for that //

My intial response is

1) I agree, part of the problem is INCORRECT or incomplete paper work which is the hunters responsibility.

( simple solution might be )

Why dont SAA appoint or train ONE OF THEIR STAFF or someone on their flights out from USA to be skilled in rifle import export paper work.

The SAA person can then issue hunters on that flight the appropriate SAP 520 document and a black complementary SAA pen with (SAA logo) on it ( good marketing ) and then the hunters can complete the form on the flight JUST as they do with their normal SA customs immigrartion document on the plane /// At least then the paper work can be ( reviewed in advance by the SAA person on the plane) as to be correct and those hunters can then upon arrival proceed through the fast lane at the security counter

2) Even with correct paper work SAA Police need to provide enough staff at their end to process 75+ hunters

It is simple really ... the pilot radio's ahead to say this flight has XXX hunters with rifles on board so make sure that you have xx staff at the security counter to process them in a timely manner

Maybe I am (asking tooooooooooooo much) from the wonderful executive SAA people whom are responsible for all [SAA Marketing and Public Relations] OR dont they actually give a toss about foreign hunters bringing in millions of dollars forex into their country / Does SA have a TOURISM MINISTER or is he she on leave Wink

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Aw cmon Peter,
That would be the intelligent solution, not the buggered up bureacratic solution we have come to expect!
Seriously, Thanks for the update Kathi and maybe SAA and the police will take a stab at some of Peter's suggestions. And at least the AR forum members will have their paperwork in order.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Common mistakes are...not providing the passport number of one's wife just because she didn't come with you (that's right - you do have to provide this information even if your wife in not with you, according to Conroy!).

????? Eeker

How do they know I am married? What if my wife doesn't have a passport? I suppose they will sort this out but like others here have suggested it makes it atractive to find a way around "entering" South Africa, if necessary by continuing on the same day and not clearing customs and immigration.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The new chairman of PHASA Stewart Dorrington was (apparantly doing some investigative exercise) or follow up on this very subject, it might be appropriate that he might get some feedback about this thread and the importance of Conroy in the equation !

OR do they leave a (dead horse to rot) and see what transpires next (busy season) and HUNTERS then have to go through the whole drama again

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Living on the Left Coast, it isn't any significantly greater distance to go via Sydney on Qantas. NitroExpress has stated that when he flew in from Sydney, there were no other hunters on the plane. This has got to get a Californian thinking.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
Living on the Left Coast, it isn't any significantly greater distance to go via Sydney on Qantas. NitroExpress has stated that when he flew in from Sydney, there were no other hunters on the plane. This has got to get a Californian thinking.

Sarge

When I fly from NZ I travel Qantas Wellington / Sydney / Jo-burg ...

The non stop flight time SYD-JNB is about 12 hours and a bit. I have not travelled with rifles only walk on passenger BUT Qantas/SAA code share so will not be a problem

I also suggest ( RIGHT) or East Coast hunters consider flying EMIRATES - New York / Dubai / Jo-burg route ... they can then have a cup of tea and cookie with Saeed on route Big Grin

Peter

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Angry gets you nowhere. I took the effort to be friendly while clearing my guns. As I left, I even wrote down the name of the officers helping me. When I arrived back from Zim, I spoke to the officer by name and he said (after briefly looking at my paper work), "Mr. Carr, glad to see you. How was your hunt in Zimbabwe?" He then said, "No need to to inspect to your rifles, you are free to go on your way."

Took all of two minutes, and we were back at Afton Guest House in just a few minutes after arriving from Bulawayo.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Common mistakes are...not providing the passport number of one's wife just because she didn't come with you (that's right - you do have to provide this information even if your wife in not with you, according to Conroy!).

Hmmm, my wife has never had a passport. Now what?

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi folks, I used AIR2000 as recommended by several others here, I had my paperwork filled out and returned some 3 months before my flight. I was met by a very efficient girl that got me, my luggage and guncase out the door first. All this after getting my guncase dead last!!! Once I got my guncase it only took maybe 5 minutes, the officer checked the serial number and said have a great trip. It cost me like $130.00 but I won't hesitate to do it again. Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla,

I will be hunting at Stewart Dorrington's Melorani in ten days. I have added Kathi's note to a note on another subject that I sent Stewart

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll have to stay out of SA until I get married.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did fly into Cape Town in May and cleared quickly and efficiently without any hassles. The transfer into JIA was just that, a transfer - the rifle was already cleared into the country.

I will do that again in the future. A few days in Cape Town allows us to adjust for the time change. And of course we get to visit the Stellenbosch Wine tour (hic).

Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I solved the gun permit mess...I rented a Win 70 in 30/06 with 3 to 9 Leupold and that should get all I need done.
We will see how all that works in about two more weeks.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to T. Carr, a polite approach will get you a long ways in the black African community..They are a polite people and when you are polite they will bend over backwards most of the time...Arrogance and bluster will get you in a world of s--t over there...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:
Balla Balla,

I will be hunting at Stewart Dorrington's Melorani in ten days. I have added Kathi's note to a note on another subject that I sent Stewart

stubbleduck47

That should be very enlightening when you meet Stewart /// We do all look forward to your report on the issues he is working on and trying to change for the good, such as rifle importation and other

I personally dont know him at all, BUT I do know he is taking on a hell of a job trying to reform PHASA and make them into a more broadly respected hunting organistaion with some teeth. Anyone whom takes on the government in SA has my thoughts with them, as it is a hard road to hoe

I believe a strong PHASA organisation can only be good not only for the local Outfitters in a challenging SA environment but also for the foreign hunters wanting to hunt SA

Pass on my good wishes to Stewart and wish him luck in his endevours, and of cource have a WONDERFUL hunt and visit to SUNNY SA

Regards, Peter

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akpls:
quote:
quote:

Hmmm, my wife has never had a passport. Now what?

I had the same thought, even tho' my wife does have one. What has her PP# got to do with anything???? Verrrrrry curious. I'm sure it an unaswerable beaurocratic issue.bewildered

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cleared a firearm through Jo'berg in early July this year and had no problem at all. I think the ease I experienced was due to two factors. First, I had all my paperwork together, in order, and complete complete before I left the States. Second, I arrived Jo'berg on Lufthansa one hour ahead of the SAA cattlecar out of Atlanta. If you think I was lucky, I would partially agree. Control what you can (i.e. get your paperwork act together) and the rest is somewhat the luck of the draw.

If I had to do it all over again, there is only one thing I would do different. That would be to apply for my import permit by mail directly from the SA Police (Central Firearms Register in Pretoria) ahead of the trip. Review the SAP website [URL=http://www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevention/firearms/importation_index.htm][/URL] for complete details.

I would recommend submitting your application well in advance (months not weeks). You can complete this process yourself - you don't need a service to do it but if you want to spend the $$$, it's your money. For the $130+ one would spend, you could shoot another Springbok but it's your money.

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite frankly, I don't recall the "wife"s passport" question. That must not have been applicable in 2002.

I thought the biggest mistake being made on arrival was hunters not knowing where to go with their gear and being herded together by the baggage handling staff as the gear was being brought out from the plane. The hunters were like eager six-year olds. The baggage handlers divvied everyone up and insisted we stand just-so while they accumulated everyone's gear before anyone took a step towards check-in. The BHs didn't want to lose any of their tip-paying customers. I could tell where that was headed. I picked up my stuff and walked to the security check-in. One man was about five-minutes smarter than me. We both were cleared and on our way as the the herd of 40 some-odd hunters and their entourage of baggage handlers and better-halfs came surging down the concourse. I've never seen a better bottleneck in the making.

The best tip I got from AR was someone's description of exactly where the office to check-in was. I have no doubt that tip saved me an hour.

Posts: 13807 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because hunters tend to arrive in huge groups, she says, quoting Inspector Conroy.

Well that was the one good thing about flying heehaa air (I mean emirates) I was second in line. 2 plane loads came in behind me,which produced 80-100 people...Heck I forgot about them,I should take em over some coffee,their probably still there...The SAPS have people walking up the line to help get 520's right,but the fly in the ointment is no pre-printed,ready to rubber stamp licenses when you get in there. The guy is sitting there filling out multi papers by hand,and in africa time..