THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Which plainsgame warrant a shoulder mount

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which plainsgame warrant a shoulder mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trophy mounts are more than bragging rights,sweet memories etc.They also cost a bundle and take a lot of space.None of which I claim in abundance.
So rather than delving right in and mounting all,I am asking myself,why not wait ,maybe you are fortunate to take something bigger in the future.Then keep the others as horn or european mounts
What in your opinion warrants a shoulder mount for a waterbuck, kudu,sable, impala,wildebeest.
Not trying to be critical of smaller mounts but trying to limit myself,s.o. reasons.
Thanks for your suggestions

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would say that the ones that warrant shoulder mounts are the ones that are special to you. Whether it is trophy size, shot difficulty, stalk difficulty, etc. They are the ones that are going to be asked about the most so you might as well as have a great story about them handy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Fjold!

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I have clients that come in my studio all the time, this is a very common question, "Is this worth mounting?" And my reply, "It's not how big it is, it's what it means to you!"

This is something that you have to deside, no one else!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can always cape out the animal and have the cape tanned and save it--do what you want with the horns for now, but keep in mind a possible shoulder mount later--- at least you would have a spare cape at the very least with the possiblity of still mounting it in the future if you wanted too--that's what I'd do--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I had to ask myself the same question as I was relatively limited on funds for taxidermy. I was pretty sure that I would mount a kudu if I got one. I did, but he wasn't very big by most folks' standands. We hunted our tails off for him though, so I'm getting him mounted. I'll have more stories to tell about that hunt than any other. I also opted to get a springbok mounted. I had never even considered it while sitting here in the states, but when my PH danced a jig after measuring him, I couldn't resist. On the same hunt my dad also opted for a kudu mount. His second animal was a red hartebeest. They are ugly critters, but something about it and the hunt was very appealing to the old man, so he went for the mount.

I would recommend that you wait until you're on the ground (or your critter is) before making a commitment. You'll have a much better idea of which ones you want mounted when you see some samples. Just keep an open mind and go hunting.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say a shoulder mount is warranted for Kudu, Sable, Roan, Gemsbok, Impala, any variety of Reedbuck, Puku, any Lechwe, Sitatunga and Warthog.

Lifesize mounts for Vaal Rhebok, Nyala, Blue/Red/Zebra duiker, Baboon. Mountain Nyala and Bongo.

Skull Mounts for Eland, Buffalo, Oribi, Steenbok, Springbok unless it is black or white, the various Bush Duikers, Hippo and any of the above that you have multiples of.

Rugs for Zebra, Bontebok, Lion, Leopard, Caracal, Jackals. Impala and Springbok make good throw rugs as well.

If you ake elephant or Rhino or Crocodile, do as you wish.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I am doing my eland, impala, kudu, warthog,& blue wildebeest in shoulder mounts. Rug for the zebra. I just have the bleached skull of the baboon.
Doug

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Of the list you gave I'd order them like this:

Sable
waterbuck
kudu
wildebeest
impala

Sable being the first one I'd have mounted and impala being the last one to have mounted. Here's how I figure, sable is a more sought after trophy and bit more expensive than the rest. Waterbuck is still on the more expensive side, but I think they generally make a nice mount. Kudu is probably one of the most sought after African species, but they do take up a lot of wall space. Wildebeest is an interesting animal to me, but it seems like you can find them just about anywhere. Impala, if you go back I'm sure you'ld shoot one again.

I would go though and have all my animals caped for shoulder mounts and leave the skulls whole. Reason being, say you go with a predetermined list, you are prepared to have three shoulder mounted and two European mounted. Lets say early in the safari you shoot the wildebeest and the impala, neither of them are caped correctly because you don't plan on having a shoulder mount made. Then lets say you end you safari and never got a shot at a kudu. If the impala or wildebeest was caped correctly, you could have one of them mounted instead since you do not have to pay for the kudu. Just a thought.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nyala make for some of the prettiest mounts, the face is just exquisite - quite apart from the colouring. Sable, while regal, don't appeal to me to the same extent, something about the loong face of the animal, I suspect. The lowly Warthog also makes for a very expressive mount.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Now, before you place too much weight on my answer, please note that I have a home and office that resemble natural history museums and I am even now having four head and shoulder mounts and yet another rug done, as well as full body mounts of a steenbok and lion.

But I have never shot anything I didn't want to mount full head and shoulders, turn into a rug or full body mount. Hell, I even keep backskins and make tail swishes!

For example, I love hartebeest. I have two mounted now and will have more as time and money permit.

But I need a much bigger house to do all of this and still have room enough to live.

You have to make the call. No one else can.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A trophy is a very personal thing, nobody can decide for you. Before having a trophy done you must know where you want to put it. A good mount in the wrong place is taking a animal activist on a hunt, it does not work. Only you can make the call, study as many trophies as you can before you mount yours.

Wimpie
I personally like the tiny ten.

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote