THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    First real hunting rifle, may take to Africa eventually - is this a good one?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First real hunting rifle, may take to Africa eventually - is this a good one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
OK, I'm pretty new to larger game hunting. I've shot some squirrels, rabbit, quail, but never did get a deer. This was about 8 years ago.

Getting back in to hunting now with the goal in 2 years of going to Africa to hunt Eland, Blesbok, Kudu, Wildebeast, Impala, Springbuk, and Warthog.

I am used to tactical rifles (AR-15s, carbines, FALs) and am looking for a bolt action rifle that will allow me to hunt deer, elk, and the above-mentioned African game.

I want something that won't kick my butt with recoil, offer me a wide range of loadings, be reliable, lightweight, and get me on target at ranges of up to 300 yards.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 that is a joy to shot. I ran across a .30-06 Big Boar Tikka rifle that as a 19" barrel, is 6.1 pounds, 3 round detachable magazine, blued, synthetic stock, and also has Williams iron sights on it as well.

Would this meet my needs as described above?

Thanks!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

The 30-06 is very popular over here. It would handle anything on your list well, with good bullets and good shot placement. It may however be marginal for the Eland if you're not offered a classic broadside shot. This can be overcome by using premium, heavy bullets (200gr>Winkwhich will penetrate, and hold together with good expansion.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
A 270 is mabe your answer it will be to small for the eland but will do on all the other game its also a flat shooter. i only suggest this because of the recoil.

personaly i will go for a 375 loaded with 200gr gs custom bullets at 3000f/sec for long range hunting and 300gr for bushveld but there is recoil involved but you can shoot anything with it

another option is a 338win mag but it doesnt give you the option to use on dg (restricted by law ) although i think it is possible

the 223 is a nice gun we use it for culling but very few places allow it and if they do its only on small game.

i suggest a 375 and down load it

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
John,

Welcome to the Forums.

That rifle has a far too short barrel for this cartridge. I really have no idea why Europeans make rifles chambered for cases as large as the 30-06 and put such short barrels on them.

I would pick a rifle with at least a 24 inch barrel - preferably longer.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67371 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with Saeed and add that the 375 H&H magnum wold be the ideal calibre for your needs and as 375 fanatic said, it'll also allow you to take the dangerous game.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I really have no idea why Europeans make rifles chambered for cases as large as the 30-06 and put such short barrels on them.

Saed, it is a kind of fashion lately but the idea of short barreled rifles derives from a couple of reasons here in EU:

1. Mountain rifle - saving weight (based on military WWI rifles - Mannlicher)

2. Night hunting from a closed tree stands (bears and boars) - shots are close (~30-50m) and in the dark one must take care when getting ready for shot, not to knock on anything with a barrel (game is very alert and close).

3. Tracking job - before regular 50 cm barrels were produced, guys that did tracking wounded animals simply choped off the barrel to make passing through thick stuff easier - coupe de grace is delivered from a close range also, so no need for long barrel.

But beside above, it is more of a fashion than anything else - definetively weak for up to 300m in Africa.

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really have no idea why Europeans make rifles chambered for cases as large as the 30-06 and put such short barrels on them.

You know, Saeed, 19 inches is longer than the 10 to 15 inch handguns some of us use to shoot cartridges such as the 30/06 Springfield. Some hardy souls even have handguns chambered for the likes of the 458 Lott and 375 H&H Magnum (I plan to have a barrel made for my Encore in 375 Weatherby). That said, for a rifle of just about any kind, I'm not an enthusiast for short barrels.

As far as African cartridges are concerned, I also think the 375 H&H Magnum is hard to beat though the recoil may be a bit much for some.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My point was that people can have short barreled rifles if they chose, but they should have them chambered for smaller cases.

I have several rifles that have 20 inches barrels that are chambered for cartridges like the 270 Winchester, 7x64 and so on.

Their velocities are very low, which I am sure can be duplicated by lesser cartridges.

I have been hunting with a rifle that has a 26 inch barrel, including some VETY think bush in Africa, and have never found it to be of any hinderance at all.

At the end of the day, one choose the rifle that suits him. And me personally do not like short barreled rifles - for hunting - at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67371 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 will be great but i would recomend that if you are going to be buying a new rifle rather get one with a longer barrel. when a barrel is too short it can affect the pointability and handling characteristics. Some Ph's carry guns with 19in barrels but generally 21 is considered short

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
The Tikka my father-in-law got in .338 magnum could not be loaded from up top. (We found it for him because he wanted a lefty in a caliber he could use for Africa.) Detachable magazine had to be loaded / reloaded before insertion into the rifle. Very accurate rifle, but I hate the loading feature. Forget the Tikka.

BNagel

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are used to and like your Tikka T3 lite, maybe a 270 (WSM)? I have used this combo for deer, and antelope so far. No complaints.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
As an all purpose plains game rifle for Africa I use a 7x57 with 175gr bullets and don't feel undergunned either in case of distance or effectiveness on all and any plains game including Eland. It can be a light quick handling gun and recoil is negligible. It does require careful placement of shots but I have never found that to be a problem in Zimbabwe where I have hunted. I use 175gr Nosler Partitions and the performance has been admirable. I rarely take a shot beyond 250yds but would feel perfectly comfortable taking a shot to 300yds with it. My problem with range is first estimating it and second wind doping which I am very poor at in both cases. I use a rangefinder when possible but that is not always the case and I have found the mythical PH's ability to estimate distance to be mostly that , A myth at the longer distances. The aversion to short barrels is very mis-placed in most cases. An argument can be made against them on a noise basis but there is little real loss in accuracy or energy by all tests. My 416 Rigby and favorite 375H&H both have 21" barrels and perform more than adequately on anything I have used them on.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
if you are averse to a 375 with 270 or 300gr bullets as mentioned by Steve, and an '06 is what you want to play with, then fine.
I am hesitant about eland with anything less than a 200gr bullet under an ideal broadside condition with a '06. I like 24 to 26" barrels.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MSsafari
posted Hide Post
30-06/ 180 grain barnes TSX federal factory loads will be good enough for eland.
A 22 to 24 inch barrel is what I recommend. Remington 700/ Kimber/ CZ/ all make good guns. Get a leupold 2.5 to 8 VXIII and go hunting.

Posts: 51 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Personally, I wouldn't use any .30 caliber on an eland. Danm things are as heavy or heavier than buffalo. Of course, bullet placement is everything and I suppose eland have been killed with .22 Hornets. But at the end of the day, why use a marginal caliber for eland? The .30-'06 would be fine for all the other animals on your list.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much for such prompt replies and not making me feel like a total "new guy" - some of these internet forums can be quite harsh.

I was wondering about the barrel length myself - seemed rather short for a powerful cartridge like the .30-06 cartridge.

The reason I liked the .30-06 is that it seemed like a round that was just touching on the edges of the higher-end rounds like the magnums but without the harsh recoil. And I thought it would be preferable to a 7x57 or .270 in overall terms of power, range, etc.

I think I will definately consider a longer barrel - maybe 22 inches at the least.

Now, are detachable magazine rifles not allowed in certain places or are they fine as long as they are not over 4 or 5 rounds? The Tikka is only 3 rounds.

Next I have to determin the optic to go on it. I have a lot of scopes, including Zeiss 3-9 and 4-12, as well as Sightron S2 and Big Sky, including one that is 1.5-6x which seems rather interesting, especially for the type of stalk hunting that I will do.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I would simply buy a CRF bolt rifle chambered for the 375 H&H and be done with it! If you ever go to Africa, you will return, I guarintee you!

There is an old saying that is prudant advice, that reads: "when hunting in buffalo country use a gun capable of stopping an buffalo!"

You will end up buying a 375H&H rifle anyway, you may as well start with one! thumb

.............By the way, welcome here, you have found the proper place to get real information! wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Where's the fun in that? For me part of planning trips is new guns!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JohnCrighton:

From your description of "Tactical rifles" I gather that you know how to shoot -and not always at four legged targets! ( No need to answer but if I'm wrong, I apologize) Smiler

You don't mention where you want to hunt. I agree with MacD37 - If you might be in Cape buffalo country, why not carry a 375 H&H? (or larger)Since I assume you are a shooter, you may really like the 375. (It "pushes" against the shoulder and doesn't "jolt" like a sledge hammer against you. So you can get in lots of range time long before you see Africa. Don't worry about being overgunned. Eland is the biggest antelope you'll see in Africa and zebra are so tough that the lionesses' gang up to take one. Oh, yeah, one last word. The longer barrel ( at least 24") is so you can aim better at a target at distance - not like shooting at close quarters in bad light. Like I said, I apologize if you don't know about shooting in such circumstances. Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Mac, you couldn't be more right about the .375 H&H.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Mac,
I too agree with you! I have not hunted Africa yet, but my 375H&H has! I loaned it to Retrever when he won the trip from Saaed, and he sure enjoyed it! He bloodied it in Africa before me, but what are friends for!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerrys375:
JohnCrighton:

From your description of "Tactical rifles" I gather that you know how to shoot -and not always at four legged targets! ( No need to answer but if I'm wrong, I apologize) Smiler

You don't mention where you want to hunt. I agree with MacD37 - If you might be in Cape buffalo country, why not carry a 375 H&H? (or larger)Since I assume you are a shooter, you may really like the 375. (It "pushes" against the shoulder and doesn't "jolt" like a sledge hammer against you. So you can get in lots of range time long before you see Africa. Don't worry about being overgunned. Eland is the biggest antelope you'll see in Africa and zebra are so tough that the lionesses' gang up to take one. Oh, yeah, one last word. The longer barrel ( at least 24") is so you can aim better at a target at distance - not like shooting at close quarters in bad light. Like I said, I apologize if you don't know about shooting in such circumstances. Smiler

You are correct in your assumptions regarding my shooting experience. Low light and CQB are what I know. Unfortunately, that also means I know light recoil and lots of fluid, dynamic targets where shot placement is not as important as VOLUME of shots.

I guess my only concern with the 375 is the cost of ammunition and finding one from a manufacturer that I like - I don't see any of the Tikka line offering it.

Would a .338 Win Mag or 7mm Rem. Magnum come close to it and be better than a .30-06 for the larger game?

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Welcome to the Board. It'a a body of much knowledge and strong opinions Wink

You might consider a double. If you are in doubt about handling a .375 H&H, perhaps a 9.3x74R with an extra set of 7x65R barrels. It may not be a 300-yard rifle, but then I've never fired at anything 300 yards away, preferring to hunt closer, and the longest you are likely to shoot anywhere in AFrica except the Kalahari is 200 yards with most shots much closer.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako makes a fine rifle in a 375. If you like Tikka you should check it out.

The 338 would be a step in the right direction, but when you get right down to it, I don't think you are going to find a big difference in the cost of ammunition for a 338 versus a 375. You won't be sorry with a 375.

The 7mm is actually a .275 caliber, and won't pack the same stopping power as a larger 30 caliber. Yes, Bell killed more than a few elephants with a .275, but his shot placement and knowledge of the elephant brain placement from all angles was outstanding.

There are also some nice rifles in the 9.3 x 62 - practically an equal to the 375. Many of the European makers have more than a few models to choose from in that caliber.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
On my first trip of many trips to Africa way back in 1983 I took a .458 and a .30-06. After killing my buffalo I put the .458 away and have never used it again. The .30-06 served me well on everything I pointed it at on that trip and a couple more.

Later, I took up a 7mm Rem Mag and have never looked back. It shoots flatter and has less recoil than the .30-06, and it accounted for a one-shot kill on the only eland I've taken.

I have two .375 H&Hs, but I don't want that much recoil on a rifle I'll shoot more than a couple of shots with on a typical African hunt.

For those of you who can stand the recoil, the .375 definitely is the best choice for an all-around rifle. You will be overgunned on North American game, unless you plan on a polar bear or one of the largest brown bears.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MSsafari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Sako makes a fine rifle in a 375. If you like Tikka you should check it out.

The 338 would be a step in the right direction, but when you get right down to it, I don't think you are going to find a big difference in the cost of ammunition for a 338 versus a 375. You won't be sorry with a 375.

The 7mm is actually a .275 caliber, and won't pack the same stopping power as a larger 30 caliber. Yes, Bell killed more than a few elephants with a .275, but his shot placement and knowledge of the elephant brain placement from all angles was outstanding.

There are also some nice rifles in the 9.3 x 62 - practically an equal to the 375. Many of the European makers have more than a few models to choose from in that caliber.

Last time I checked a 7mm is .284 caliber

Posts: 51 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MSsafari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
I want something that won't kick my butt with recoil, offer me a wide range of loadings, be reliable, lightweight, and get me on target at ranges of up to 300 yards.

This part of his request SCREAMS 30-06!!!

I took a 338 win and a 30-06 on my first plains game safari. The 338 hits harder than the 30-06 and is my first choice for all plains game, but I am not recoil sensitive. If dangerious game is on the menu then a hunter should be willing to accept heavier recoil. The minimum DG rifle for me starts with a 416, with 458 Lott being the best.
To hunt Cape Buffalo you are talking at least $10,000.

I reccomend that you shoot a 30-06 and then shoot a 338. Do you hunt deer where you live?

Heck every hunter needs a 30-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. You're right. 7mm is .284 inches.

I'm sure that extra 9 thousandths of an inch over the 275 pretty much invalidates my statement about stopping power over something in the 375 class Roll Eyes

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .30-06 as my primary rifle on my first trip to Africa. It performed perfectly. I took a .270 for my next trip, and I was disappointed. The .30-06 is going back with me on my next Safari!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MSsafari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:

Yep. You're right. 7mm is .284 inches.

I'm sure that extra 9 thousandths of an inch over the 275 pretty much invalidates my statement about stopping power over something in the 375 class Roll Eyes

Not much difference in a 270 (.277) and a 280 (.284). I guess a gun nut like me and I suppose you, just has to have a couple of rifles in each. Just wish I could shoot more gane with each.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Get and take TWO rifles. The .375 and the 30-06.

One of Us
Picture of MSsafari
posted Hide Post
results of 338 (13 plains game) and 30-06 (5 plains game) safari

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php...t/all/gonew/1#UNREAD

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
My rule of thumb for plains game is a minimum in the 30-06 class and maximum in the 375 class. I would stay away from 19 inch barrels though. There are enough rifles chambered in 30-06 that there is no excuse to accept less than a 22 inch barrel for a plains game rifle.

Having said that, my personal preference is to err on the heavy calibre side. While being "overgunned" is a meaningless concept (provided you can handle the recoil), it IS possible to be "undergunned".

It's pretty hard to go wrong with the 375 H&H!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a quick check on commercial ammo for the 375. You can get it from 235 grains up to 350 grains. The 235 grain ammo states it gets 3000 fps out of a 24" barrel. Pretty flat shooting I'd say.

The reason I checked is that while the 375 is great for elk here and even the big plains game in Africa, some people may think it would be a bit much for deer. With a 235 grain bullet, that should not be an issue.

The thing about Africa is that while there are animals you go to hunt, there are also those that hunt you.

There are more than enough ammo choices for the 375 to cover just about anything in the big game category in North America or Africa. There aren't many calibers that offer a range of bullet selection in excess of 100 grains.

Lots of good advice here on barrel length.

Recoil tends to be very subjective. A lot of it can depend on the stock design and certainly the weight of the bullet you are using. If you are jumping from military type calibers to big game rounds, it would not be a bad idea to shoot a 375 to see if is comfortable for you. I did not catch where you are located, but there are more than a few guys here who wouldn't have a problem with meeting you and letting you put a big bore rifle through the paces.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Tikka T3 in 9.3 x 62 sounds like it would suit you perfectly for this safari.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve usually taken only one rifle on safari and have never had a problem -9.3x62 would be perfect for all plainsgame, IMO a .338 would be the next best thing.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 22" barrel 30-06 shooting 180 or 200 gr. Noslers is an excellent choice for you..I would not go below 22 inches myself.

I would prefer a Win. M-70 pre 64 or a Mauser action as I prefer the control feed rifles. A std. weight pre 64 with a 24 or 26 inch barrel is a fine rifle, a Featherweight in the same with a 22" barrel is an excellent choice..A Mauser with those same specs is just as good. The std. weight rifles have a little less recoil I suppose, but I can't tell any difference..I say a pre 64 but any of the new control feed Winchesters qualify IMO...

The 7x57 is a nice rifle also but the 30-06 is an icon, and it is simply the best balanced round in existance..It will do anything.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I used the 30-06 in Zim last year to take warthog, bushbuck and leopard. I love the caliber. It was my first rifle. I also had along a 458 Lott and a 375 H&H. I will take the 06 to Africa again, but never on a single gun safari. I think if you're taking something larger, the 06 makes perfect sense. I agree with UEG - 06 and 375 are perfect for the range of plains game.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, a 375 Ruger Alaskan would be a pretty good choice. Recoil is not bad, it's light, doesn't cost a fortune, and while the current factory ammo may not be ideal for DG, it should handle PG pretty easily...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the 30-06, if your PH is concerned about using it on the Eland, see if he has a 375 that you can use. Odds are that he will.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote