Tools

Why is it . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
I think they should be read only, locked from the word go. Since it is intended for information, if you want info, PM the author. No reason for comments.

I agree, and made that suggestion a while back. It will never happen. I think some, including our host, like the backbiting and infighting.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
I think they should be read only, locked from the word go. Since it is intended for information, if you want info, PM the author. No reason for comments.

I agree, and made that suggestion a while back. It will never happen. I think some, including our host, like the backbiting and infighting.

Agreed. After an afternoon in the ARPF, I'm certain of it. Eeker

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Come on Steve, it isn't that bad????????

To me the point is or should be, the client should be able to post their feelings/thoughts about a hunt, without the Kangaroo Court piling in on top of them.

Let the hunter make their claims, and then let the Professional in question provide rebuttal.

Folks that were not actual participants in the transaction should stay out.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Come on Steve, it isn't that bad????????

To me the point is or should be, the client should be able to post their feelings/thoughts about a hunt, without the Kangaroo Court piling in on top of them.

Let the hunter make their claims, and then let the Professional in question provide rebuttal.

Folks that were not actual participants in the transaction should stay out.

Hi Randall!

Are you serious? I'd rather try to rub sandpaper on a Lions ass, than spar with the mercenaries over in the ARPF. That place is NOT for the meek.

patriot

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

faint

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and even these things did not diminish my enjoyment of the hunt I was on at the time. I have never been treated so regally in my life as I was on my 8 safari's. As I said I must be the luckiest person on this forum.

Originally posted by Zimbabwe.

Y'all should read his whole post, it is inspirational. If you do, you will probably realize that it's largely about attitude.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Attitude is key in all things social and a good attitude will pay a lifetime of dividends

Good attitude = a great person to spend time with and a person who can roll with the punches of life and even laugh

Bad attitude = a person nobody whats to be around and instead of rolling with the punches of life they tend to bitch and complain

They are life-suckers

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My single African hunt was a terrific experience, exceeding my expectations in almost every way. I posted a report here to that effect, and still feel the same way about it now after several years. Recently, a new acquaintance at work asked me about the hunt, having heard about it from a mutual friend. I gushed about the animals, the PHs, the outfitters, the camps, the booking agent, the experience...you name it, I had good things to say about it. My new chum listened intently, asking numerous questions about various details, all of which I answered honestly and completely. A small handful of things on this hunt didn't go quite perfectly, and I answered questions about those things as well.

Several months later the mutual friend who had pointed this fellow in my direction ran into me, and as we chatted he commented on my second safari. When I informed him that I had sadly not made a second hunt, he was puzzled. He had discussed my hunt with the fellow who had questioned me in such detail, and had heard nothing but the bad details. The guy had come to the conclusion that my hunt was a total cluster%$&# from the get-go, and the hunt which he was planning would definitely not be with any of the same folks who handled mine. My friend heard such a distorted version of the story that he actually thought that I had returned to Africa and had a terrible experience the second time around.

Fortunately, I think that such miserable people are fairly rare...they are simply so vocal about their woes and misfortunes that they get a lot of attention.

I almost wish this would happen more often. Maybe if I hear the Negative-Nellie version enough times, I will start to doubt my wonderful memories of the trip and thus save me the expense of another safari!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've always hunted with somebody whose company I enjoy in any circumstance.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be we should spare a though for those posting their hunts on facebook.

Where they get their photos deleted, or even banned.

Not to mention being open to all sorts of attacks from every Tom and Dickless Harry, who have absolutely no idea what hunting is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Facebook....drama I dont need

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tow adages, 1/ You get what you pay for
2/ if it looks too good to be true it probably is

Do due diligance, check with the professional hubters assoc., check references.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I have probably stated on here numerous times that I am undoubtly the luckiest person on this forum. I have never bought a Winchester that would not function as designed and was very accurate. I have also never had a car that was a 'Lemon'. In the same vein I was fortunate enough to make 8 safari's to Zimbabwe before the money and health ran out (luckily simultaneously) and not a single one of them did I have a single problem. This does not mean I got all the animals I went for (I never got a Lion though I tried hard). I missed a few shots but overall was happy at the end of each hunt. My guns over the years have all been extremely accurate (and I have most targets to prove it). God has truly been good to me over the years. This does not mean everything has always been perfect. I have suffered from Arthitis since I was 18Years old (I am presently 80+) I am a type II Diabetic and as a result have Kidney Disease. I have no cartiledge in either knee but so far the steroid injections have coped with the pain. My wife died some years ago after suffering from breast cancer so my life has been not without ANY adverse occurrances. But I was able to attend Gunsmith school and build rifles which was a childhood dream. And all my adult life I was never without gainful employement. My retirement is reasonably secure. I spent several months at a time in Zimbabwe and in that period saw many hunters. The large part of them seemed to be having pleasurable hunts with few problems. I helped an Outfitter friend and his wife scrounge supplies at that period when there was little available in Zimbabwe and I have sat in a vehicle for many hours in line to get petrol and even these things did not diminish my enjoyment of the hunt I was on at the time. I have never been treated so regally in my life as I was on my 8 safari's. As I said I must be the luckiest person on this forum.

Well said my friend...well said tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It desrved to be reposted in it's entirety. Thanks for doing so. I found it inspirational and think many of you may as well.

I've raised bad "attitude" as an issue, as have others, and that's great. Hate bad attitudes.

Others talk about how great their trips were, start to finish. And that's great; glad to hear it.

But you have to judge a trip on an overall basis. You can't look at your watch and judge it by timeliness -- that's destined to failure.

You can't judge a trip's success by what you shot.

I judge it by how happy I am to be there. And anytime I'm in the bush, I'm extremely happy to be there. Everything else is secondary.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Mike, in the spirit of your thread, I'll add my own 'problem' hunt report...

My son drew an Arizona muzzleloader bull elk permit for a season that started 5 days ago, on September 24th. We enjoyed an action packed and adrenaline filled rut elk hunt, but...

The hunt was too short. He killed a large 6x7 bull on the 2nd morning, but...

He passed the same bull up on opening morning. He crawled into the bedded herd where this herd bull had about 15 cows, to within 38 yards of him. After a half hour, he crawled back out and later explained that he didn't want his hunt to end so soon, but...

We had to get up at 3:45 again the next morning and a Thunder Storm was threatening. We actually had to walk in the dark into 25 mph winds while it was raining in our faces. We almost went back to the truck but agreed that we'd never kill a bull from there while waiting for the storm to pass, so we pressed on. We actually got wet!

We finally found the same bull after about 30 minutes of looking around and my son decided to shoot him this day, but...

We actually had to debate how best it get in on this bull (remember, your kids know more than you do) and then wait over 20 minutes, in muzzleloader range, while the bull bulged and demolished a juniper tree (amazing how things turn out when your kid actually listens and does it the parent's way). Finally, the bull walked past my son, who sent a 290 grain Barnes through both lungs. The damned bull had the audacity to run 150 yards before dying...

In a nice flat area perfect for pictures now that the storm had cleared and we had a beautiful sky. We took a bunch of photos, field dressed and loaded the bull and that was that. We spent the next 1 1/2 days visiting the Grand Canyon and chasing rutting elk through the woods without a gun. My son did some coyote calling, but...

Was only able to call in a big Bobcat which nearly climbed in his lap. It startled my son enough when he glanced to his left and saw the cat sizing him up from just 5 yards, that it got away without a shot being fired!

Finally, we had to head home. The trip wasn't long enough. We're having a nice safe drive home until 10:00 last night, when my truck overheated. Broken fitting in the cooling system, out in the middle of the Mojave Desert, 75 miles from the nearest town, Barstow.

By the time I got AAA out and we were towed to town, it was nearly 2:00 AM. Now, we are sitting in Barstow, waiting to have my truck repaired so that we can drive another 7 hours to home. But...

Here is what truly pissed me off. After being a AAA member for over 30 years and having a Premier membership which entitles me to a free tow of up to 200 miles, the buggers inform me that the trailer I'm towing isn't covered and will cost me $400 to get it to town!!!
Mad

So, here I sit, in the armpit do the desert, typing this tongue in cheek report from a Starbucks (which is too damned expensive, BTW) while waiting for a mechanic to show up and repair my truck. With a foo foo coffee in front of me...

And a 361" bull in the trailer! Big Grin

Sorry, Mike, I couldn't help myself.
dancing

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote