New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Hunting Progression
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going through some old video clips the other evening, I thought about the african hunting progression I made since my start 11 years ago.
My latest trip was for elephant (4) primarily!

My animals in sequence through the years are as follows:

Plainsgame>>>cape buffalo>>>hippo-croc>>>lion-leopard>>>elephant.

Speaking only for myself, since my first hunt I learned a hellova lot, about africa, SAP, customs, hunting and stalking in africa, rifles, etc. Learned a lot from some great Ph's who are ready to help, other DG hunters, experience, and the AR forum. Neddless to say the the rifles and calibers that were initially used have graduated to bigger calibers and better actions. One of my weatherby's is now history Smiler

Apparently, some guys jump right into elephant hunting with a new "double" WinkOR do most of the elephant hunters sort of graduate as I did--on the long "yellow brick road".

Just curious!!!!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went in 2004 for Plains Game.

I am going this Summer for my Honeymoon and ONE day of hunting.

2009 is looking good for Buffalo. We shall see how it progresses.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
Jumped right in.

Still using my trusty 460. Wink

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
'02 buffalo and plains game with bolt actions
'03 plains game with bolt actions
'04 elephant and plains game with bolt actions

Who knows when the next one will be but it will most likely be plains game with bolt actions.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Saeed..Must also thank Capstick also...
I started in 2002 plains game RSA,
2004 took my first bull ele and buf, Zim
2006 lived my life long dream did the Selous and took hippo, croc, leopard, buf, giant bull ele....All smiles... jumping

Got to get a lion...

Mike Big Grin

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I suppose Capstick is the one who got me to seriously think about hunting Africa.

I bought two second hand rifles from a gunshop in Seattle, Washington - I am afraid I cannot remember the name - but they had an underground shooting range a few yards long.

The rifles were a Ruger 77 in 25-06 Remingyton for the smaller animals, and a Remingyton Safari 375H&H for the rest.

I booked the hunt, on a very short notice, through Klinebergers. The hunt was to be with Peter Johnston's Rosslyn Safaris in Zimbabwe.

My Ph turned out to be Roy Vincent - a man I have been hunting with almost every year since 1993.

Shot an elephant, two buffalo and practically all the plains game on offer. Used the 375H&H for almost everything except impala, warthog and reedbuck.

Did not make it back to Africa until 1993.

This time I had a 270 Ackley for the smaller animals, and a Mk V Weatherby in 416 Weatherby Magnum a friend gave me for the larger ones.

Again, had a great time, shot an elephant, several buffalo, and lots of plains game.

Since then we have been going to Africa at least once a year, and settled on taking two rifles, in the same caliber - in this case our own the 375/404 - for all the animals.

KISS - has worked very well for us so far. One rifle, one caliber, one bullet, one load.

Even managed to make a veteran African hunter out of Walter - he said he stopped counting how many times he has been hunting after 12!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Your toughest trophy was to teach Walter to shoot clap Did he ever shoot the unbraked .577 T-Rex??

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dak,

You don't often find a guy that on his first safari wants to jump right into elephant but it does happen. I booked a guy last year that was new to hunting but wanted first a grizzly bear which he got and then followed the same year with 3 bull elephants on one safari.

I think in most cases a guy on his first safari will choose plains game or buffalo/plains game. Face it the safari experience is a little intimidating initially and pretty expensive for most of us so most folks want to ease into it. I do think that a person booking only a plains game safari just because he thinks it will be a primer for a DG hunt later is fooling themselves. A plains game hunt in most places is a far different experience than a buffalo hunt in a wilderness area. If you already know you want buffalo and can afford it there is no reason not to book it. Personally I booked a 14 day buffalo /plains game right our of the box and was very happy. My only regret is that I didn't take the leopard I was offered when I arrived at camp.

Moving on to leopards they can easily be combined with buffalo and plains game but a first timer does not often ask for one. You have to dedicate your safari to the cat hunt so maybe leopards are better left for a second or third safari when a hunter is not quite so anxious to pursue all the other more common game.

Lions and trophy bull elephants are I think for the hunter who has decided they really like this Africa hunting and are willing to pour some serious bucks into it. The people that inquire about these hunts have often done quite a bit of hunting but not always.

The above is how the progression of Africa hunting often goes but I feel that a hunter needs to just figure out what he really can afford and just book that. Africa is getting more expensive all the time and hunting particularly for lion may soon become a pursuit for the super rich only. Don't wait.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I jumped right in with advice and encouragement from 500 Grains. Best advice I've ever gotten, except once from my dad who advised me to marry my wife.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was always a sheep/bear hunter until in 1986 I saw a lifesize mount of an nyala. One look at that beautiful antelope and I was hooked. The next year i was in south africa chasing nyala, and well the hook was set and I've been line and sinkering it ever since

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote