Notify
Tools

My most memoreable safari yet...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted
...and it hasn't even started.

I've logged almost 500 days of African hunting over the last 11 or 12 years. I've had more incredible experiences than any one man deserves, but I've been anxiously waiting for the day my children would be old enough to join me. We originally planned to go last year, but the year before, my daughter, Chloe, was diagnosed with leukemia. Obviously, Africa had to go on the back burner.

Chloe finished her treatments two months ago and is still cancer free, so we leave tomorrow for South Africa's Eastern Cape to hunt with my friends at Blaauwkrantz Safaris. I'm not sure what they'll shoot, but my kids are both experienced hunters despite being just 9 and 10 years old. They've been practicing off the sticks with their .22-250 and .260, and both have pretty lengthy wish lists. I doubt they'll shoot them all, but I know they'll try their damndest. Especially my son, Cole, who is absolutely nuts about hunting.

After the hunt, we're going to spend 4 days at Tintswalo lodge adjacent to Kruger for some sightseeing. I've never been to Kruger, and am as excited about seeing it as my kids.

I think I'm most looking forward to seeing my wife and kids' reaction to the continent that inspired me to sell my successful mortgage business and risk everything to make a living doing what I love.

We're off in the morning.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a wonderful trip, and rejoice doing what they want to do. You'll be amazed what simple pleasures astound kids. My grandkids just returned from Padre Island, and I sat for hours listening to their tales. I sure hate working for a living, and want to spend a lot more time with them.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chloe finished her treatments two months ago and is still cancer free

That's truely wonderful and I hope it stays that way forever!!!! Enjoy the hunt!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You're going to have a fantastic time with your family. Adding time on for Kruger is a great idea. My family spent the first 43 days of our recent trip in Kruger, followed by 2 days in Thornybush Game Reserve, and it was fantastic! Of course, we hunted too and that was outstanding.

I think family time together in southern Africa is about as good as it gets, and with your daughter now healthy, it'll be a chance to build memories for the rest of your lives. Please post a story and pictures upon your return.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll be sure and post a report and photos when I return.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have fun brother .... you and your family sure deserve it!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your time with your kids! That will make the trip even more memorable! I can't wait to be able to take my girls over to Africa!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wonderful news about Chloe! Travel safe, have a great time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best money and time you can spend. Enjoy, they grow up and will remember this all of their days.

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I've got a five year old named Chloe also and the thought of her having to go through that is...well...just unbearable. My heart goes out to her and I dearly hope she remains healthy!!

I can't wait to take the same trip with my children as you're preparing to do. Have a wonderful time and don't forget to get us a report when you return Wink.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip, enjoy.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will be your best safari... Take as many pictures as possible and enjoy every second of it!!

Have a wonderful trip. Smiler

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have the safari of your life ! What a great gift for all involved, and a very special memory for father and daughter who have been through so much.
All the best to your family.
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a cancer survivor is great to hear of your daughter beating leukemia. Congratulations! I believe we met at the Chufudzi air field in Omay a few years back when we were both flying out of there after our seperate safaris. If it was you, you were hunting with George Hallamore.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I am about to shut 'er down and head to the airport. Thanks for the kind words guys.

Dave,

I'll call you when I get back.

465 H&H,

I hunted with George a few years ago, but not in the Omay. We hunted with him in Chirisa and Chete. Maybe we met at some other point on the safari?

I am outta here.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having your kids health back is the best trophy I could dream of for you,,,, make a bunch of memories with the kids and enjoy! I will look forward to the reports after the hunt,,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... first off great news for Chloe. My thoughts and prayers are with her!

Now for the hunting... you will have a super safari with your kids! I just got back from my 13th safari where my 13 year-old son and I hunted the East Cape. I have hunted with many outfits over the continent and consider myself extremely lucky to have experienced so much of Africa and her treasures. But this was the best trip I have ever made to the Dark Continent, bar none. To be able to share their hunt and witness all of their "firsts" and watch them mature as hunters infront of your eyes is something that will warm your heart for the rest of your days!

Good luck and good hunting!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Make good notes and take good pictures. We all look forward to another article or two.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your upcoming Safari! The fact that you are spending it with your family, which is your most prized possession, makes it all the more joyous! Be safe and enjoy every single minute of it!

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
YOu guys are going to have a blast Greg. Let me know how it goes when you get back. It is great news to hear about Chloe...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Greg you sound like a man who has his priorities in order. Good for you!

I am sure you guys will have a wonderful time, I wish you and your family the best now and forever. And...I wish for lots of happy pictures when you return!!!

I still have my first trip to Africa w/my wife and daughter to look fwd to...hopefully one day soon, but talk about a pressure cooker! No problem organizing a hunt for me and the boys...but I need to do it up right for the girls. So any/all info is appreciated.

Have fun! Smiler

Russell - great post, and so true.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
God speed and good hunting. It is wonderful to hear that your daughter has responded so well to the treatment. Enjoy the trip of a lifetime.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg, may this be only one of many happy trips to come for her.

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Finally! (Saw some pix in 'Trophy Room' at www.blaauwkrantz.com .) I know Cole isn't all that big, but... that caracal is HUGE!

Well done, and hurry with the write-up. Y'all done good.
:-)

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote