Find
Notify
Tools

Marc Pechenart & the Selous
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Just read an interesting article in Sports Afield. It is about Marc Pechenart and his accomplishment of taking 11 bull elephant with tusks of 100 pounds or more. It said he leased two blocks in Tanzania just for elephants and eluded that they were in the Selous. Anybody know which blocks he leased?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am probably showing my ingnorance here, but is Marc Pechenart a modern day hunter or was this sometime in the past?

H Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Hartley,
He was a well-known French big-game hunter who passed away in France this year at the age of 80.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hazard a guess that these were in the South East and Southern Selous, all blocks leased to Pasanisi family.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hazard a guess that these were in the South East and Southern Selous, all blocks leased to Pasanisi family.

This are probably the Best Hunting Blocks in the Selous.

Myself i have seen Trophy Tembos in K4, LL3, MK1 Selous Blocks.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw one in K4 couple of years ago, but certainly not 100 lbs.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Marc Pechenard died a couple of months ago.
I saw his ivory.
He got the actual Nr 1 SCI world record tusks, 154 & 148 lbs shot in the Mbomou region in the CAR in 1970
Can You imagine that part of his ivory is yet illegal. If you cannot produce proofs of the origin of the ivory, it's illegal.
For the moment just a few tusks are cleared, the rest haven't any CITES. It's my friend Boutonnet who's in charge of clearing the trophies
A pity.
This guy is the son of the late manager of the hunting estates of the french presidency when General de Gaulle was president.
His brother is famous for having hunted most of the African game with the bow, elephant included.
Marc Pechenard shot quite a few animals (including African ones) with a revolver
Bwanamitch
I was a long time ago, well before Pasanisi took his blocks.

chassons magazine

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Merci...J B
Wink
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JB,
Thanks for the note. I know that Pasanisi has hunted some of those blocks in the late 60's up until hunting closed in early 70's and then again since the mid 80's so hence my guess Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's just damn greedy.
11 over 100 lbs
GREEDY
JEALOUS!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I can get more details from the expert Boutonnet (not on the pic) and the taxidermist Vaillier (the guy on the right wearing blue jeans), they are close friends and the memory of the french hunting

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote