New
Find
Notify
Tools

Urgent Rifle question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nothing like putting things off to the last minute, but..... I am flying through FranKfurt and Paris to Cameroon Friday morning. Bags are checked through to Paris, but then I believe I have to recheck the bags on the AirFrance flight. My question is , Is that a problem and if so does one have to get a customs broker or some such thing to actually pick the rifle up from Lufthansa in Paris and deliver same to AirFrance?
Thanks guys--hate to se a pre 64 .375 with Schmidt Bender get short stopped in Paris

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call your travel agent. If you did not use one, more's the pity. Call the airlines involved, otherwise. Things like this need to be sorted out weeks in advance.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I can't swear to current regulations, but one used to be able to leave the airport, or transfer from one terminal to another, with rifles with no problem. But you will have to carry the rifles yourself of course. If you are arriving at CDG1 and your next flight is at CDG2, then you will have to take a shuttle bus and that would be a pain. If it all takes place at Roissy2 then just get a luggage cart.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hi James,

I didn't realize you were on the forum when we spoke! I can't help reg the rifles as I borrowed one in camp, but I have not read of the need for a customs broker, just to make sure to call Air France a few days prior to departure to advise that you will be traveling with firearms and the calibers and weight/dimensions of the case. And as Bill said above, check out an online airport map to see where your terminals are.

Good luck on the hunt!!!!

Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An update on the travel. Rifle ended up being booked all the way to Douala causing no trouble through Paris except all luggage arrived one day late, but I had cleverly scheduled for that. Cameroon customs in both Douala and Garoua is a different story for later. Successful hunt with story to follow.
Thanks for your help Bill C.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Whew! Glad that workded out.

When I flew Air Frog I had to declare my rifles, their weight and dimensions, etc. weeks in advance. My boarding passes had the word "Weapon" printed on them.

If I can avoid it, I'll never fly Air France again or go through Charles DeGaulle.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote