Find
Notify
Tools

Pigeon and dove in RSA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear all,

I am a part time hunting agent in Singapore selling limited amounts of hunting to hunters, both novice and experienced. I have a problem. My usual sources have failed to provide firm dates for good pigeon shooting this year. I have about 6 guns Including myself who are ready to hunt in april, but nowhere to go and no one to sort out the shoot for us. We are after volume pigeon over mealies and sun flower.We would appreciate it greatly if loaner guns could be provided too.

please email guy_hoh@hotmail.com or pm me. Thanks so much for your response.

Cheers, guy

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
We were in the east cape the first half of July last year and had some AWESOME shoots in partially-harvested cornfields for spur-wing and Egyptian geese and those big doves that they call pigeons there. Shot till I was too sore to shoot anymore, we quit somewhere around 30 geese and 200 doves (2 shooters) the first day. Geese landing in the dekes at 5 yards.

We were with John X Safaris out of Grahmestown. They have both US and SA websites.

Great outfit.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Tomkinson has a wingshooting operation in RSA and is gaining a reputation for first rate shoots.A google search for Tony Tomkinson Safaris should put you on to his website.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
PM 500nitro from this site or email at john@aim4x.co.za. I have hunted with John and he wil set your party up with a great hunt. Tony's outfit is also first class.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Are the charges per bird taken, per day, or what?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Argentina for pigeons and doves. Millions of them.

Go to Africa for Guineas, Francolin, Sand Grouse.

Yes there is good rock pigeon shooting in some areas, usually over sunflowers. And yes there are doves. But from NA, Argentina is closer and cheaper for those species, and I would venture to say there are 10x as many birds. (Doves certainly, pigeon depends on the area but where we hunt, in Santiago Del Estero, there are plenty).

Both countries you can combine big game and bird hunting. It's a toss-up in my opinion.

We offer such a combo hunt in South Africa: 6 days, 7 nights birds and plains game from luxury lodge, $1800 plus alchohol, ammo and tips. There is no per bird charge. Guineas and Francolin over dogs. There is of course a trophy fee on plains game.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses and PMs. Right now i have 6 new options from repsonses that I am currently exploring.

I'd just like to say a BIG Thank You! to all you wonderful hunters on AR and to the hosts of this great site! AR rules as usual.

cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote