Find
Notify
Tools

Africana Books for Nook
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
There was a thread awhile back on where to get Africana type books for the Kendall reader. I think Tim Herald started it?

I had a Nook reader that quit working within the first week of operation but just got it replaced under warranty. Does anyone know of a source for Africana books for the Nook or is it a Barnes and Nobel device only? If Barnes and Nobel only, does anyone have any experience with these types of books from them?

I got this thing as a gift so it wasn't a matter of doing my homework on which was better or which has access to more books. Thanks for any info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the NOOK tablet which was my choice after doing the research. If you don't order from Barnes & Noble, what you have to do is download your purchases from other sources to your computer then download to your NOOK. It will load to the 1GB they allow you and show up in your menu under "Mystuff".

I'm also interested in any Africana epubs. if anybody knows any good ones.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Harvey, how large is a typical book? Sounds like 1GB isn't very much?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Most are under about 4-5 meg or so I believe. With a gig, you'd have a lot of books.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Todd, we've gotten spoiled by the amount of memory available to us. We throw gigs around like they're nothing. My first computer was a Sperry clone of an IBM pc and the hard drive was 40 megabytes and there are 1024 meg in a gigabyte.
And to answer your question, the novel To Kill a Mockingbird is contained in 103 megabytes. So almost TEN of them would fit in a gig.
Oh, and if you were wondering, the next one up is terabyte, which is 1024 gigs.
And I'll admit now that I'm a nerd.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Harvey, how large is a typical book? Sounds like 1GB isn't very much?

I currently have 1 book saved and my "Settings" info shows 1.06GB free of the available 1.07GB - 98% free. So in other words - lots! Don't know which model you have but I can also add an SD card if 90 or 100 books aren't enough.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmassey338:
Todd, we've gotten spoiled by the amount of memory available to us. We throw gigs around like they're nothing. My first computer was a Sperry clone of an IBM pc and the hard drive was 40 megabytes and there are 1024 meg in a gigabyte.
And to answer your question, the novel To Kill a Mockingbird is contained in 103 megabytes. So almost TEN of them would fit in a gig.
Oh, and if you were wondering, the next one up is terabyte, which is 1024 gigs.
And I'll admit now that I'm a nerd.

Understand MMassey. I have a BBA in Computer Science from 1985. Fortran, Pascal, etc. Used to think 256K was all the memory in the world! Cool Just had no idea how large these digitized books are. Sounds like 1 GB is plenty.

Back to the OP though, anyone know what the availability of Africana based books are at Barnes and Nobel? My new Nook is still charging right now so I haven't had a chance to look at what's available. Seems like I had a quick look before the original Nook bit the dust and there wasn't much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the following African titles on my Kindle:

Hunting the Elephant in Africa and other Recollections of Thirteen Years' Wanderings by Captain C. H. Stigand

The Last Safari, A Season of Discovery in Zimbabwe by Bruce Vanbuskirk

Across East African Glaciers, An Account of the First Ascent of Kilimanjaro by Dr. Hans Meyer

And I have you guys beat in regards to Memory on the PC; try 64Kb of RAM running on the Intel 8088 at 4.77Mhz with NO hard drive and two 640Kb floppy drives. Remember them? I eventually upgraded to a hard drive: 20MB… "Oh you will never need anything close to its capacity ever" is something I heard all the time in those days.

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jas Madhavan:
I have the following African titles on my Kindle:

Hunting the Elephant in Africa and other Recollections of Thirteen Years' Wanderings by Captain C. H. Stigand

The Last Safari, A Season of Discovery in Zimbabwe by Bruce Vanbuskirk

Across East African Glaciers, An Account of the First Ascent of Kilimanjaro by Dr. Hans Meyer

And I have you guys beat in regards to Memory on the PC; try 64Kb of RAM running on the Intel 8088 at 4.77Mhz with NO hard drive and two 640Kb floppy drives. Remember them? I eventually upgraded to a hard drive: 20MB… "Oh you will never need anything close to its capacity ever" is something I heard all the time in those days.

Remember the old Commodore 64 that you hooked up the the TV? Remember punch cards for a Honeywell Level 66? 30,000 lines of program contained on punch cards, all in order. Came around a corner one night on the way to compile them and this fellow ran right into me on his way to the bathroom. Cards all over the floor. Took a week to sort them out! Those were the days! Frowner

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jas Madhavan:
.................And I have you guys beat in regards to Memory on the PC; try 64Kb of RAM running on the Intel 8088 at 4.77Mhz with NO hard drive and two 640Kb floppy drives. Remember them? ...............

Yes, I remember to well! That was exactly my first computor! Them were the good old days. Wink

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed and Colin!

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Todd, you're way ahead of me then. Also, it looks like my number for the book was actually the book on tape.
Often in error, never in doubt.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Saeed. Many books that are out of copyright should be available free via the Gutenberg project and other sources.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Question for the black an white(no Kindle Fire) users... How to pictures show up in the books? HAve you found that a book that has many pictures in printed format has redacted pics in the Kindle version?

Thanks, BAxter

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry fellas but I must be technologically challenged on this issue. I'm not having much luck finding digitized books on African hunting for the Nook eReader.

Colin, the books listed on your website do not give me an option to download when right clicking on the link per the instructions. Maybe because I'm using a Mac? Right clicking gives me gibberish on the screen.

Saeed, your link has a couple of books such as Heart of Darkness and In Africa. Not much else that I can find. It's possible I'm not searching for the right thing.

Does anyone know of a site where an extensive list of digitized books on African hunting can be found? Something like Safari Press but with books available for download to a Nook reader.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I'm not sure of your Mac's setup. But try this. Press and hold the Control key when you click on the link.

If that doesn't work, let me know and we'll work out a way to get the books to you.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Colin. PM sent to you.