THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SCI Foundation International Wildlife Museum closes its doors

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Foundation International Wildlife Museum closes its doors
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted
I spent hours roaming its exhibits over the years.

The C.J. McElroy room was spectacular.

Amongst the other numerous displays was the late Bill Quimby's lion from Zambia.

Sad news.

https://tucson.com/news/local/...b8-0ba93e117596.html

https://www.kgun9.com/news/loc...-on-tucsons-westside

Posts: 2955 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI is moving to San Antonio.

Posts: 11980 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great city for sure and very pro hunting.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bummer for me, we have always stopped to visit the museum any time we were traveling interstate 10, been through it 5-6 times over 25yrs.

Hope they set it up again in San Antonio even though that's like 2.5x further from home for me... It's very nice.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
HOLY SMOKES!! There has been No Communications to SCI Membership on this??!!

I would expect the plan would be to relocate to San Antonio?? That said a new building may be more expensive than selling the Tuscon building??!! A major donor recently funded the new Hunters Embassy in Washington DC, the legislative affairs headquarters... lots of publicity!!

I thought this was a bad idea in the 80s when I was a Chapter President and on the International Board, for 3 terms.I am one of 2 Board members who officially voted against the museum!! You would recognize the other if I leaked it!! My wife and I were wined and dined by another Washington state chapter president and his wife, the night before, to attempt to gain my vote!! They wanted it unanimous for MAC...

We often met in McElroy's trophy room for meetings and dinner parties, so we all knew it well. A fantastic collection, no question!!
My personal problem, as an old Corporate Controller type, I saw it as a ploy to preserve the President's personal trophy room with no major financial contribution to "his-" the Museum!!
It is common for for major donors to provide funds for location and maintenance.

His trophy room was moved and rebuilt as the centerpiece of the Museum. It was spectacular, and surroundings really made the museum a place to educate the public on the benefits of hunting to wildlife, no question!!
Was it financially sustaining, I don't know?? Did it educate or convert non-hunter visitors? I don't know.

It would be a crying shame not to retain the mounts and resurrect in San Antonio??!! I don't understand the move to San Antonio?? What the media doesn't say, the SCI HEADQUARTERS adjoined the Museum!!

I am disappointed as I had been thinking about donating at least my life size mounts to the museum??...vs selling them at auction... and going to our charitable designees!!.... RN Nursing education and Cancer Research...
Go Figure!! I will do some poking around with my current contacts... but everyone is getting ready for NASHVILLE Convention...

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
HOLY SMOKES!! There has been No Communications to SCI Membership on this??!!

I would expect the plan would be to relocate to San Antonio?? That said a new building may be more expensive than selling the Tuscon building??!! A major donor recently funded the new Hunters Embassy in Washington DC, the legislative affairs headquarters... lots of publicity!!

I thought this was a bad idea in the 80s when I was a Chapter President and on the International Board, for 3 terms.I am one of 2 Board members who officially voted against the museum!! You would recognize the other if I leaked it!! My wife and I were wined and dined by another Washington state chapter president and his wife, the night before, to attempt to gain my vote!! They wanted it unanimous for MAC...

We often met in McElroy's trophy room for meetings and dinner parties, so we all knew it well. A fantastic collection, no question!!
My personal problem, as an old Corporate Controller type, I saw it as a ploy to preserve the President's personal trophy room with no major financial contribution to "his-" the Museum!!
It is common for for major donors to provide funds for location and maintenance.

His trophy room was moved and rebuilt as the centerpiece of the Museum. It was spectacular, and surroundings really made the museum a place to educate the public on the benefits of hunting to wildlife, no question!!
Was it financially sustaining, I don't know?? Did it educate or convert non-hunter visitors? I don't know.

It would be a crying shame not to retain the mounts and resurrect in San Antonio??!! I don't understand the move to San Antonio?? What the media doesn't say, the SCI HEADQUARTERS adjoined the Museum!!

I am disappointed as I had been thinking about donating at least my life size mounts to the museum??...vs selling them at auction... and going to our charitable designees!!.... RN Nursing education and Cancer Research...
Go Figure!! I will do some poking around with my current contacts... but everyone is getting ready for NASHVILLE Convention...

The move to San Antonio was announced.

Some of the reasons are :

San Antonio is more centrally located.
Costs are substantially lower in San Antonio.
The current building is quite old and has substantial issues which need to be addressed.
San Antonio has a more educated population from which to draw employees.

There was a very detailed analysis of the move before the decision was made . As I recall, the vote to move was unanimous.

Posts: 11980 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I like the EDUCATED people part! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote