New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, how about Angola?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I asked in another thread about sport hunting in Malawi, and a number of learned persons informed me that it is virtually non-existent.

Angola suffered many years of political upheaval, but my understanding is that it has regained some degree of stability. It seems that it would have some prime hunting territory, considering that the world's largest recorded bull elephant, the one on display in the lobby of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, came from Angola.

How about it? What the story on sport hunting in Angola these days?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spoke to several people that have been in Angola over the past three years. One actually did some wildlife surveys there out of helicopter. Al reports indicate that the wildlife has been absolutley annialated. There is practicly nothing there in forms of mega-fauna. Thier reports are that if everything smoothed out socialy and a very intense game restoration and management plan were implemented it would be several decades before hunting could come back there.

This is second hand gossip but I believe it.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That may be true for the bulk of the country. My assumption is that there is still a lot of game that moves between Angola and the Okavango Delta in Botswana through the narrow Caprivi Strip of Namibia. Just wondered if there was any organized (and legal) hunting taking place just north of the Caprivi?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked in Angola for the past two years. Hunting is not organized as of yet and the game populations have not rebounded. Though the Gaint Sable that was thought to be extinct is being rescued. Also something you may want to keep in mind before you go charging off into the bush is there are several hundred or if not several thousand land mines that are not accounted for still out there.

But on the bright side fishing is unbelievable for Marlin, Tuna, and Dorado. A Tarpon caught in April may be a new world record. Several people are starting charters, but visas, travel, and accommodation into Angola are pain.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Frank.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Princess Diana was active in attempting to clear the mines, but I'd wager that your estimate of hundreds of mines still in the bush is quite low. No record was kept of most of the minefields, and many of those who laid them were later killed. Angola is not a place that I would go walking around. The number of amputees to be seen in that country is staggering.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have two good friends working in Angola with Chevron. They say it is still not all that safe off the company compound. Still allot of bandits and what not. Law enforcement is dysfunctional and corrupt. Probably like most of the African continent.

They work 6 weeks on 6 weeks off. They looked into hunting for me over there. They said the game is sparse and there did not seam to be any organized group to help me with hunting.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
There are good tracts of wild areas in particular along the Caprivi strip.
The problem is the land mines.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that hunted Angola a few years back before the civil war there. It was great at one time for ele, etc. but he's told me that those days are long gone, and with the land mines, lawlessness, corruption, and lack of game that a person should not even consider it now. I know another African individual that spends significant time there on various "business" pursuits and he recently told me how frightening and dangerous the country is. Knowing him as I do, and how tough he is physically and mentally, I believe him wholeheartedly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was interesting to note a report I read the other day suggesting that the elephant that move through the area between Angola and the Caprivi have developed an awareness of ap mines and it is thought that they can smell them. Apparently the incidence of wounding in the transient population has declined and it has been attributed to their great sense of smell.

Stu