Notify
Tools

SIDELOCK DOUBLES - DANIE JOUBERT
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted
Hi Everyone

The two rifles seen in the picture below, are the latest creations of South African Master Riflemaker, Danie Joubert. All rifles are handmade in his shop in Pretoria.

Sidelock, single Shot, Sidelever in 7 mm Mauser

Bottom

Sidelock Double Rifle in 470 NE

I will continue to post pictures up until the rifles are completed. Starting price for these works of art is $35 000.

If anyone would like more information, specifications etc., please feel free to contact me.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
BTT

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Brad,
The guys over at the Big Bore and Gunsmithing Forums would enjoy this post...why not replicate it there?

Cheers,
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
They look very nice. Would like to see a finished product.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad_ Rolston:

If this is an example of what you consider to be be sidelock workmanship then I'm glad that I no longer hunt. You and the posters in this site are examples of the "New Breed". "Nouveau Riche" with more money than taste or knowledge.

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

Help me out. I just see two in the white, ie, in the works, reinforced sidelock actions with barrel(s).

They appear to be bar action locks, which are fine though I prefer back action sidelocks on a double.

What's your beef?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I thought he said that they weren't done yet...

I do like what I see so far.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
gerry375

While I respect your opinion - what is it that makes you have more taste and knowledge than the rest of the posters on this site, along with myself?

Regarding having too much money - I did not say I have ordered one. In fact, I have just ordered a Searcy.

You need to lean to respect other peoples tastes and preferences. If you can do any better, please post the pictures for all us who have "no taste and knowledge".

Also, please feel free to tell us exactly what makes you such an expert, and if possible, please prove it.

!

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
gerry373

Also, please also explain what sidelock wormanship has to do with hunting.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am please to see the field of sidelock makers is widening. Best wishes to Mr. Joubert for turning this into a successful business.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
By the way, Danie Joubert was offered a position in England with Purdy, working and building double rifles. That alone should speak something about his work and his quality. With that, I would say enough said on the subject. . .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, I am reasonably perspicacious about examining a finished rifle and pronouncing on its quality, but I am not much at looking at and analyzing those photos of work in progress. What don't you like? I ask in all honesty seeking a bit of education in the subject !!!!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures. Do you have pictures of any rifles he may have completed?

Thanks for sharing.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I think they look wonderful. And with the amount of work that goes into one, are probably worth the price too.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifles, I look forward to seeing the finished product!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad_Rolston:

To you and all other posters who called me on this one. I apologize for my intemperate and also incorrect remarks. I sipped a little too much of the bourbon and failed to notice that the picture shown was "in the white". (THat's what put me off)

No, I am no expert on sidelocks (although I was shooting them in shotguns when I was 16 and I'm 75 today). My preference for a sidelock is because I think they look better! OK, now you know how much of an "expert" I am about sidelocks! Smiler

Now, let me sleep it off! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
gerry375

Apology accepted. Please accept mine also. I was just defending a very honest, God fearing man, who is an extremely fine craftsman, trying to do the best possible work he is capable of.

Best wishes.

brad

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other thing. It is also my understanding that Danie is building his double rifles patterned after the 1906 Holland and Holland, only with today's modern components. Makes me wish for another double rifle. . .

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Mehul

The 2 pictures below are of a falling block in 500 NE that he built a few years ago. With the exception of the barrel, every component on the rifle is handmade.

Brad

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
UEG

By the time we start you Rhino & Leopard hunt, my Searcy will probably be here. I know you, and once you have seen it, you will probably have me drive to the nearest town to call Butch to put in your order.
Start thinking so long - boxlock / sidelock, 470, 500, 577 ??????

Brad

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, the drop block rifle is a potential beauty spoiled by the engraving. I hope your friend finds another engraver for his sidelocks.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
vigillinus

I think the engraving as it is, was specifically ordered by the customer. I will find this out for sure. He has since then started using another engraver.

Brad

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Brad,

That falling block rifle looks extremely well made. The finsh looks splendid.Though the engraving is a bit out of sync,the quality is first class.Thank you very much for the pictures.Any idea of those beauties' cost?

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
RobinOlocksley

The fallong blocks start at $25 000, and the 2 sidelocks at around $35000. Wil give you more specific details when Danie gets back.

Brad

P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Thanks for the pictures. The guns should be exquisite when they are completed considering how beautiful the falling block rifle looks.

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Rifle. Can't wait to see the double.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the engraving?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Same question as Dan...I think the engraving is well done...not my cup of tea, but well done nonetheless.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Brad,
The double in the white. Those are sidelocks?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad's in Durban, S.A. for holiday and will return in about a week. I am sure that he will get back to you then unless he can find a spare computer at his sister's.