Notify
Tools

Deposits and Refunds...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bushwack,
What kind of person continues to gloat about their heartless and inhumane treatment of a man who lay dying of cancer? You are a worthless piece of garbage.

quote:
Originally posted by Bushwack:
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Screw what the contract says. I'd give the deposit back, and have done so. Good deeds come back around many times over. Just ask that Bushwhack loser what happens when you don't.

what happened old fart?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I do not really do contracts and you pay a deposit and if you can't come you get your money back. I have stated something about 30 days but never called it in.

I can always sell the safari to another.
You can resell a safari inside 30 days?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Bushwack,
What kind of person continues to gloat about their heartless and inhumane treatment of a man who lay dying of cancer? You are a worthless piece of garbage.

quote:
quote:
Screw what the contract says. I'd give the deposit back, and have done so. Good deeds come back around many times over. Just ask that Bushwhack loser what happens when you don't.

what happened old fart?

it's pretty obvious what kind. thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13243 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

what happened old fart?

How to win friends and influence people.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
One time I canceled hunt and simply told outfitter to keep deposit for his trouble
Not everybody is in same boat, but sometimes business can be tough.
I look at that this way, I would return deposit with thought of down the line the decision would help me and maybe even bolster my business and make me feel like I helped someone in time of need.
At the same time, I totally can see if outfitter will not do that.
Two sides of the coin.
It is really up to an individual
I hope , wife will get better.
Mine passed away from illness and it was tough.
Wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

boarkiller,

I am sitting up late and I read this and I am truly sorry for your loss. Not sure what I would do without my wife mate.

Thanks Andrew.
We all deal with tough times in life and life goes on.
Hunting always gets me thru about anything.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:

what happened old fart?

How to win friends and influence people.

+1

Why would anyone want to hunt with Bushwhack is beyond me.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
quote:
JGRaider,

Bushwack is what you do in camp when you have been away from your woman for a while.

that's funny. Big Grin

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
AR has the usual 10/10/80 split , 10% left and right , 80% moderate who are entertained and or enlightened by the threads.

The booking form , forms the basis of the contract.
To lynch the outfitter is wrong , and to not feel the clients pain is also wrong.
Reasonable people in reasonable times resolve the problem to the best win win situation. These are not reasonable times.

The outfitter is not wrong , try get a refund from a SAA , won't happen, try get a refund from a realtor when you don't come up with the balance of payment or breach. Law dictates.

The question then remains is it good business , no its not , this is a service business based on word of mouth and reputation , many outfitters survive both ask the members on this forum , this will be one of those.

The debate however is largely useless without the name of the outfitter , only then does it become interesting , as the haters climb in while those lucky to have had a good experience defend.

Mostly those that live in glass houses will throw the biggest stone.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add , my mother passed from 2 bouts of cancer , and years of treatment, and as an outfitter have had cancellations as close as a month from a big four hunt and been expected to refund deposits, I have also been victim to sabotage on this forum and just last year played agent for a client with a well known Caprivi outfitter on this forum, and like this situation my client had a $20 000 deposit paid 12 months in advance and due to being in hospital was unable to communicate (more pressing things in his life) to pay balance 6 months in advance so outfitter discounted the hunt and resold it less my clients deposit and refused to pay any refund, as he was within his very suspect legal rights my involvement by naming and shaming will result in my being drawn into the legal battle still coming. The point is he will in all probability survive on satisfying just enough clients. After 35 years in the business and 13 years on this forum , one lesson sticks out : Shit happens but seldom sticks.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
I do not really do contracts and you pay a deposit and if you can't come you get your money back. I have stated something about 30 days but never called it in.

I can always sell the safari to another.
You can resell a safari inside 30 days?

Never had to try mate. I am a small operator and my sort of arrangement would not suit large companies.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:
AR has the usual 10/10/80 split , 10% left and right , 80% moderate who are entertained and or enlightened by the threads.

The booking form , forms the basis of the contract.
To lynch the outfitter is wrong , and to not feel the clients pain is also wrong.
Reasonable people in reasonable times resolve the problem to the best win win situation. These are not reasonable times.

The outfitter is not wrong , try get a refund from a SAA , won't happen, try get a refund from a realtor when you don't come up with the balance of payment or breach. Law dictates.

The question then remains is it good business , no its not , this is a service business based on word of mouth and reputation , many outfitters survive both ask the members on this forum , this will be one of those.

The debate however is largely useless without the name of the outfitter , only then does it become interesting , as the haters climb in while those lucky to have had a good experience defend.

Mostly those that live in glass houses will throw the biggest stone.

SBB - Without it being spelled out in the contract it becomes a grey area. As happened in this case, the transaction was conducted over the phone and via e-mail. The "contract" was simply a price quotation. The PH said there would be other paperwork to sign when the client got there. Most likely a liability release.

As an update, the client has been able to obtain a written commitment that if either he or the PH can fill the slot, he will get his refund, if not, it is forfeited. Of course he has no real way of verifying if the PH will follow through should the PH quietly fill the slot. So the client is working with a friend of his to take his place - of course I suggested this time with a contract and full knowledge what he is purchasing. At least there is an opportunity to get his funds back.

A good cautionary tale for all...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SBB - Without it being spelled out in the contract it becomes a grey area. As happened in this case, the transaction was conducted over the phone and via e-mail. The "contract" was simply a price quotation. The PH said there would be other paperwork to sign when the client got there. Most likely a liability release.

As an update, the client has been able to obtain a written commitment that if either he or the PH can fill the slot, he will get his refund, if not, it is forfeited. Of course he has no real way of verifying if the PH will follow through should the PH quietly fill the slot. So the client is working with a friend of his to take his place - of course I suggested this time with a contract and full knowledge what he is purchasing. At least there is an opportunity to get his funds back.

A good cautionary tale for all...

If any good can come from this situation, it may be that in the future hunters will be more careful about how they deal with Outfitters and how much they actually put down as a deposit. Personally, I would not hunt with any outfitter that required a larger deposit than I'm willing to put down. Having been ripped off in the past by Outfitters, I'm less than eager to put myself in that position again.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Any reputable African Outfitter would return the deposit. Anyone that would not is a Dutchman!

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone buy trip insurance for a hunting safari ? Which companies sell it ? How is it priced ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Anyone buy trip insurance for a hunting safari ? Which companies sell it ? How is it priced ?

Mike

See Insure My Trip!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's usually 10 exclusions for every 1 incident that's covered isn't there?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrenchmaster:

If any good can come from this situation, it may be that in the future hunters will be more careful about how they deal with Outfitters and how much they actually put down as a deposit. Personally, I would not hunt with any outfitter that required a larger deposit than I'm willing to put down. Having been ripped off in the past by Outfitters, I'm less than eager to put myself in that position again.
Most outfitters have been ripped-off by clients too - hence the need for a contract.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, yes, but...

Who hands the piece of paper to the client and says sign or you can't go?

Every last contract I have seen is written by the outfitter's lawyer to protect the outfitter. How likely would it be if I came to you and handed you a contract that had all sorts of reasons that I could not pay what you say I owe, for reasons that are out of your control?

As I see it, it would be nice if there was a standardized contract that spells out protections to both sides.

I have been in a situation where the outfitter did not live up to the contract, and it was full of what I owed him, but nothing was said about what my recourse was if HE didn't deliver.

Now, I try and deal with people who see their word and implied promise as their bond, but still with the papers that the lawyers make me sign, I could be left on the outside if something happened to that individual.

Posts: 10794 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Matt, yes, but...

Who hands the piece of paper to the client and says sign or you can't go?

Every last contract I have seen is written by the outfitter's lawyer to protect the outfitter. How likely would it be if I came to you and handed you a contract that had all sorts of reasons that I could not pay what you say I owe, for reasons that are out of your control?

As I see it, it would be nice if there was a standardized contract that spells out protections to both sides.

I have been in a situation where the outfitter did not live up to the contract, and it was full of what I owed him, but nothing was said about what my recourse was if HE didn't deliver.

Now, I try and deal with people who see their word and implied promise as their bond, but still with the papers that the lawyers make me sign, I could be left on the outside if something happened to that individual.
Mate I have had clients write their own clauses on the contract and as long as they are reasonable I am fine with that!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never signed a contract in 3 trips to Africa, or 2 trips to Mexico.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be interested to see the route the outfitter takes seeing as it doesn't appear a decision has been made yet.

I could see the outfitter trying to resell the hunt, then if he has to discount the deposit by 1/2 returning 1/2.

I could see an outfitter saying "sorry for your troubles, but a deposit is a deposit"

I could see an outfitter returning the $$ understanding they may never see that person again BUT if the client does get a second chance at Africa hoping they will remember how I treated them, and even if not hoping they will say to their buddies or internet forums "i was down on my luck and outfitter XYZ, they were a class act and treated me right" either one being a loss of income today but gambling on the word of mouth/type increasing their income in the future

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never signed a contract in 3 trips to Africa, or 2 trips to Mexico.

I have signed many contracts. I have refused to sign others. They were so lopsided as to be ridiculous.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by wrenchmaster:

Most outfitters have been ripped-off by clients too - hence the need for a contract.

I guarantee you there a lot more crooked clients out there than there are crooked outfitters.

We seem to hear about the crooked outfitters, but hardly ever hear of the crooked client in public.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67464 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crooked is a harsh word - but yes there are a few. Some just take advantage of certain situations. Like the other day I found out that one of our outfitters we work closely with had been writing credit notes (vouchers) for clients who demanded money back at the end of a hunt; if they didn't use all of their hunting days. Apparently it had been happening a lot and in his generosity and willingness to keep clients happy - he had been writing lots of them. He was penalising himself for getting their animals early!! I nearly fell off my chair when I heard about it - I hit that on the head pretty fast.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure if the OP were to post up his circumstances and cost for his hunt, knowing the forum members as I do... I'm almost certain there are those here that would purchase the hunt from him.. Just sayin..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote