New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Camera
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going into remote camp into Mozambique. Would you reccomend a small digital camera for cutting bulk or carry your large body digital similar to a 35MM and a little better quality photos. I halso have a 300MM to gon on the large, if you carry the large do you carry the extra 300MM??

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
both - carrying a big camera on a 6 hour trail is going to get heavy and clumsy, so a little pocket one goes along, but the big one goes in the truck or for short walks. my nikon with the 80-200 stays on the camera with another 200-400 in the backpack. the little minolta goes into a shirt pocket. often my wife will come along with the big camera or a video camera. the big camera gets the best pictures, but the little one in the shirt pockets ends up getting the most, just because its so handy.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You might wish to take two cameras, especially as the choice in digitals is so wide right now.

My suggestion is take a small compact, that you can put in yout pocket as you go out hunting. You will find you get many opportunities to take some interesting photoes.

The other should be one with a long zoom, which you might wish to leave in the truck.

This comes in handy for wildlife photoes.

Personally I like the small Canons and Panasonics. Both take excellent photoes, and have image stabilization. This certainly helps in capturing sharp photoes.

If you scroll down to the Photography Forum, you will find links to web sites that do tests on digital cameras.

You might find it interesting to browse through these sites.

Also, if you look at the photes we have on the Photo Album Forum, you will see which cameras have been used to take these photoes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67391 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a small digital in my pocket and the 35mm on the truck. You can't beat a 20mm lens for trophy pictures.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carry both cameras and the 300MM lens.(OK) Do I carry these in my carry on back pack through the airports. Dulles to Jo Berg, Jo Berg to Beria, Moz??

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Take a camera that takes the highest quality pictures with you at all times. You will never know when you will take the best shot of your life and there you stand with a mini-digital that looks great on a computer screen but lousy printed or enlarged. For me, it's VElvia 100 or Reala 100 35MM for prints Tmax 400 (Lab) for B&W. If I used a digital, I owuldn;t take anything less than a NIkon D200 in the field. How much did your trip cost you? And how much are you really saving by taking a mini? MY .02$

_BAxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I starting using a Fuji 5000 a couple of years ago. I gave that one to my oldest son, gave another to my next oldest, bought myself another one (5200) and gave one to my brother for Christmas.

You can find them on the web for under $300 to include a 1 gig card and filter to protect the lens. It zooms from 38-380mm (35mm equivalent), and takes up to 5mb pics. Best of all, it uses AA batteries which I use for my flashlights. Only one charger!

Simple to use-put in on auto and forget it. It can take motion pics, but quality is poor. However, poor quality of first contact is better than no pics at all!

It is small and light enough to carry all day;however, on stalk let one of the guys carry it. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:
Carry both cameras and the 300MM lens.(OK) Do I carry these in my carry on back pack through the airports. Dulles to Jo Berg, Jo Berg to Beria, Moz??

I keep both of my cameras in my carry-on.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb
Great photos Charles!!!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:
thumb
Great photos Charles!!!

Thanks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos and really nice elephant! Are you doing anything with the skins?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I know that this is old advice, but I also take two cameras with me as well, a small Sony digital (loaded with either a 1 gig or 2 gig memory stick) and a larger Sony (35mm style) with all of the bells and whistles, and loaded with a 4 gig memory stick. I agree that having a camera on you and handy is very important. Take pictures at every chance because when you get back, the pictures that you took that you didn't think were important might very well turn out to be the ones that you like the most. You can't have too many pictures in going to Africa, but you may be sorry that you didn't get more. Get pictures of the people, the land, rivers, trees, birds, insects, other animals, camp, tracks, dung, sunsets, sunrises, the hunting vehicles, skinners, trackers, bullets recovered, animals shot, shot placement, funny scenes and shots, missed shots (i.e. trees hit) the trip over and back, places that you visit and stay, interesting signs, interesting or famous people that you might meet, etc. etc. etc. I had that experience last year where I didn't take as many pictures as I should have and you can't go back and recreate the scenes, for others to see, even though you have the memories. Make sure that you carry extra memory sticks, batteries, proper charging equipment, etc. and keep them fully charged when back in camp if that is possible. Don't go anywhere without your camera, and use it often.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Bluefin -- no skins for me as it is a non-export hunt. Nothong comes back but pictures and memories.

UEG - good advice. You can't just run back over and take those pictues you wish you had.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely take two cameras, a 35mm and a digital, and plenty of film (18-24 rolls minimum) spare batteries for both cameras and spare memory chips for the little digital too. Just returned from a safari with three other guys (all digital folks) where my Nikon N90S (2 of them) and Yashica T4 were the only cameras still working at the end of the day! The digitals ran out of memory chips and/or encountered battery problems by the end of the first week. Luckily I had lots of film, but I could NOT be everywhere at once. The PHs often saved the day with their own digitals. Yes, a 35mm AND a digital, or a good pocket point and shoot 35. Don't worry about film and the airline security either, just carry your film (ASA400 or 200) in your carry on pack so it will be zapped by the low power system at check in, not the industrial strength ones used on checked luggage.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote