Find
Notify
Tools

outdoor channel friday nite
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
boddingtons show tracks accross africa is on 9:30 CST friday the 17th

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a very good show.I think his show is the best African show on TV.He does not like canned hunts or fenced hunts.He is even nicer in person.I met him in person and chatted with him on the GUNS & AMMO site.He asked me about hunting with the 338-378 weatherby.He is one cool guy very down to earth.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Watch for the client's first shot and see how that rifle jumps away from his right hand.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Terry: is that 0930 or 2130 on Friday? Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Got my cable box set to automatically record the show every time it comes on. Big Grin

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

2230 Eastern Time.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks. BTW, that is a good show but it's on at some weird hours here in the east, like 0830, 1330 and late eves. It should be on prime time instead of one of the many boring bowhunting shows. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they have to put it on late cause the rest of the time cause its #$&!(#@*$&^*($_@_)(*#^@!& turkey hunting for the prime times

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
What channel is this,OLN? can not find listing.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last week he was using our shooting sticks!

Smiler

Melody
www.long-grass.com

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Watch for the client's first shot and see how that rifle jumps away from his right hand.

Regards,

Terry

Are you talking about the Tracks Across Africa dagga boy hunt with Chifuti? I see the rifle jump out of his grip and each time he reloads he pulls it down from his shoulder. Maybe this is not the episode you meant?

I need to make a mental note to practice reloading from the shoulder, although I do not recall pulling the rifle down when I was in Africa. Couldn't hurt to drill it some more, and I have not had to do it with a heavy-recoiling round.

I guess I am saying (as I mentioned before in another thread) that I see this a lot on the hunting shows and do not want to throw stones, since I have never watched myself shoot on video. But is seems like an important area to practice for those who have not done so.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Charles,

The one with Surefire's Cameron Hopkins. Where he wounds the buffalo and Andrew Dawson finishes it (none of which got on film). Whatever Hopkins is shooting, it is big on recoil and it jumps out of his hand.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Charles,

The one with Surefire's Cameron Hopkins. Where he wounds the buffalo and Andrew Dawson finishes it (none of which got on film). Whatever Hopkins is shooting, it is big on recoil and it jumps out of his hand.

Regards,

Terry

That's the one. His luggage is delayed but gets there in time for him to hunt with his own rifle -- which obviously packs a punch! I did not intend to sound critical of him, just to take some lessons away from the show.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted Hide Post
I was the cameraman for the Cameron Hopkins buffalo hunt. Cameron's gun was a wildcat round, .458 G&A I believe. That rifle did pack a wallop! The recoil was unbelievable on that rifle.

We tracked that bull for over 5 hours after the first hit. At the end, he was turning and watching/waiting for us multiple times. Andrew's lead tracker, Lummok(sp?), whispered to Andrew right before we entered some very thick bush and thought the bull was close. Andrew asked Cameron and I do hang back a few feet because he was worried this bull had had enough of us and was going to come any minute. Not 30 seconds after he resumed the track, he did! Andrew dropped him like a bad habit. The tracker never left his side and was pointing at the charging bull when I realized what was happening, and then it was over.

I was on my third battery of the day, my last. I had been dangerously close to being out of power when the charge came and had the camera off to save what little life I had in the camera. I hate that we didn't get it on film but in reality even if I had been rolling there wouldn't have been much in the way of charge footage. The charge came directly from Andrew's right at a 90 degree angle. All I saw was him raising his 470 and firing twice, one right behind the other. We couldn't even see the bull until we were at his side, so all the video would have shown was him shooting had I been rolling.

It was a long day for all involved in that hunt. It took two hours to hack a road into the bull afterward. I have always had a lot of respect for Andrew and all of his staff but after this hunt I gained even more for what these guys put on the line every day in the interest of protecting clients.

The buff was stopped at 11 paces, first shot in the brain, second through the boss. (Notice the hole in the left side of the boss.)

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I was in Sapi w/Buzz and my sons hunting bull ele when this filming was being done, and we talked with Andrew (the PH and partner in Chifuti) after the charge which was as Tyge said, and saw the skull with the bullet hole (well two, as Cameron put the second one in afterwards to make sure it was really-really dead).

Andrew was still juiced after the charge, and by all account he made a great shot after a long day of tracking, and pretty late into the hunt as it was tuff going in that dry but thick jesse. Really cool to see it played out on the TV!

That's a great pict Tyge!

Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the details and insight from someone who was there. Thanks for posting.