Find
Notify
Tools

Using a Non-Resident PH
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a non-resident PH on safari? For example, you book with a South African PH for a safari in Zimbabwe. The South African PH, not being licensed in ZIM, has to get a ZIM PH to be present during the safari to make things legal.

I'm not planning on doing this, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
In that situation, do you tip both PHs?

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, I did this in Zambia in 2000. Had a Zim PH for five days and we had to have a Zambian PH along. Two things come to mind. First your alien PH knows little or nothing about your safari area and besides that you have another person riding around with you that will expect a tip at the end of the safari. The first is the most important and also whose trackers do you use? The situation worked out for us but I would avoid it in the future if at all possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a non-resident PH on safari? For example, you book with a South African PH for a safari in Zimbabwe. The South African PH, not being licensed in ZIM, has to get a ZIM PH to be present during the safari to make things legal.

I have no idea why anyone would do this, as the South African PH is merely an observer who is earning a PH rate and the safari is correspondingly more expensive. There are plenty of local PHs who can provide an excellent safari without the undue complication of a non-resident PH.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Not always true. I booked an elephant safari for '04 with an RSA PH. I paid for the safari that was to be conducted in Botswana at the Botswana Safari operator's rate and directly to the Bots operator. The resident Bots PH and the RSA PH were both very involved in the safari and I felt privileged to have 2 such talented PH's working just for me. The RSA PH had worked this sort of deal many times with the same operator and also had been hunting elephnt since '79 himself. I actually got two PH's for the price of one. I couldn't have been happier with how it worked out.

I don't think though this would be a good practice in most cases. As a general rule a deal like this might turn into a disaster for several reasons and conflict between the PH's could be the least of it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:

Terry

P.S.
In that situation, do you tip both PHs?

Terry,

Why stop at two? Three PHs is 50% better afterall.

Of course you must TIP both PHs. Wink God forbid anything else!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It often happens- and works quite well provided the non resident PH doesn't have silly ideas about who is conducting the hunt.

eg, a regular client dials me up and wants a change of scenery. I sugest Namibia. The animals that he wants are not all available on one concession... I phone round and put a hunt together with say two different Namibian operators, I go along to make sure my client has a good time. After all, I will have negotiated me getting at least the "agents Commission"from the Namibian lads, so I am making reasonable loot from the hunt, even though I personally am not running it.

That said, I am not well versed in trophy judgement of animals I have only occasionally hunted- I am going to let the Namibian PH and his trrackers run everything unless they are being silly (and if I have done my homework and booked my client in with the right operators that will never happen) so, I get a nice holiday, a change of scenery and no pressure of trying to deliver the trophies, and my client gets the piece of mind that I am along to sort any FUBAR's out - after all, he is paying me and not the Namibians.

I have conducted three hunts in Zim where the South African PH came along. Two worked superbly. The non resident PH entertained his clients much better than I ever could, lent a hand when asked, was an extra set of bush trained eyes.

The third ones was a clash- The client didn't know the South African PH- he was from the same company that the client had booked with several times...He wanted to conduct the hunt - a bow hunt for elephant, even though he had never shot any dangerous game with a rifle let alone been on a bow hunt. And he and I didn't like each other from first sight. Fortunately we got reved in some very thick bush by some very agro ele cows and he removed himself from the hunt after that.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

"...we got reved in some very thick bush by some very agro ele cows..."

Could you please translate that phrase? To English? You all's slang is beyond me!

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"...we got reved in some very thick bush by some very agro ele cows..."

let alone FUBAR...

My guess is REVELLED, entertained in actual English Smiler

I feared You would speak of ATTACHE CASE PH Mad

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Don't know what "reved" means, "agro" means "aggravated".

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
Another bit of ZIM speak, "oke" is short for "bloke".

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Fortunately we got reved in some very thick bush by some very agro ele cows and he removed himself from the hunt after that.

Which translates politely to:

We got charged in some very thick bush by some very aggressive cow elephants...... after which the PH in question decided it was a good idea that he departed in a flurry of sexual endeavour and left Ganyana to it.

or more accurately:

We got charged in some very thick bush by some very aggressive cow elephants...... after which the PH in question decided it was a good idea to fuck off and let Ganyana do it his own way. jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the translation, I figured it was something like that. I wonder if the SA PH's decision to leave it to Ganyana was simultaneous with the charge.

That would translate to "I wonder if the SA PH bolted at the charge and didn't slow down til he got to the truck?"

Jbderunz,

FUBAR translated to the polite form, "Fowled Up Beyond All Repair" or the generally more common and accurate usage "F'd Up Beyond All Repair"

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jbderunz,

FUBAR translated to the polite form, "Fowled Up Beyond All Repair" or the generally more common and accurate usage "F'd Up Beyond All Repair"

Thanks,
in French we say HS (Hors Service) = Out Of Order.
that's why the Enlglish HMS is sounding weird in French.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"reved" or "revved" up, is to put down the accelerator on a motor vehicle while it is out of gear, or you have the handbrake on. ie to increase the 'revolutions' of the car's motor.

ie " vrooooom, vroooooooom".

Then the handbrake is normally taken off or the car takes off at great speed.

Ganyana must be a motor-head. Smiler

Obviously a comparison to an elephant before charging. And quite a good one.

It's good to see Rhodies and Aussies speak alost the same language.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Not always true. I booked an elephant safari for '04 with an RSA PH. I paid for the safari that was to be conducted in Botswana at the Botswana Safari operator's rate and directly to the Bots operator. The resident Bots PH and the RSA PH were both very involved in the safari and I felt privileged to have 2 such talented PH's working just for me. The RSA PH had worked this sort of deal many times with the same operator and also had been hunting elephnt since '79 himself. I actually got two PH's for the price of one.

I am sure that the cost of the 2nd PH was worked into what you paid for the hunt. There is no way for it to be otherwise.

If the local safari operator cannot provide a PH capable of handling the hunt in a first class manner then I agree with bringing in the right man for the job. However, in the context of the question, which was about South Africans PHs tagging along on a Zim safari, it does not seem necessary as Zim has plenty of top notch PHs.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry another way to look at it, If you were hunting the tribal areas around Binga would you rather be hunting with Rory Muil or somebody from South Africa?

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]Originally posted by gunny:
Terry another way to look at it, If you were hunting the tribal areas around Binga would you rather be hunting with Rory Muil or somebody from South Africa?[/QUOTE]

gunny,

Personally, I wouldn't drag another PH up to the Valley. Unless I just wanted to watch someone play tag with those cow elephants in the jesse. Plus, I'm afraid Rory would chew him up and spit him out. animal

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well figuring an 18 day hunt, we are looking at $1,800. the extra PH will need to get at least $100/day to make ends meet. I really see no need to spend that $$ as it will almost pay for another tuskless or PAC bull. The last thing you need is another person on the stalk. It is way to crowded with PH, client, two or three trackers and a game scout as it is.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no problems hunting with a non-resident PH as long as he is licensed in that country.

In fact, I have done that the past three years, and had 3 great hunts.

2 times we hunted with Pierre van Tonder, a resident of South Africa, but hunts in Tanzania.

Last year we hunted with Alan Vincent, a resident of Zimbabwe, but hunting in Tanzania.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68653 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

The guys you hunted with hunt where you hunted with them. I don't think that is the issue. All PH's must travel some, for example, no PH lives in the Zambezi Valley.

JPK

Free 500grains