THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Can one travel to Africa with one action and two barrels?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can one travel to Africa with one action and two barrels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 338 RUM already. Love it! I just want to switch out the barrel to a 416 RUM, then I'm legal for dangerous game. It's easy and cheaper to switch barrels than get an entirely new gun. Can one travel thru Africa with one gun and an extra barrel? - one 338 RUM the other 416 RUM.

Regards, AIU

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I know it can be done in Tanzania. The extra barrel is counted as a second gun. May be the same elsewhere too. Is this a Blazer?

At home, these plans sound good. In the field, it is sometimes more of a hinderance. Kind of like the "two different bullet weights for the same gun" argument.

Buy a second action and take two guns.

my $.02 Cool

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington m700. AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone on here that has done Africa with a Blaser might be able to answer that.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went to Zim with a blazer in 300 weatherby and 375 H&H with no problem. Just make sure you have all the serial numbers on your 4457

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do it all the time, only problem is that sometimes it takes a bit to explain it to african custom agents

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
One action and two barrels? Sure, they call them double rifles!
Sorry but someone had to do it. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AIU,

The 2 barrels are not a problem as others have stated but there is a possible problem with the 416 Ultra as the headstamps on the cartridge cases need to match the declared ammo. If you are resizing the 375 Ultra cases you have a problem. If you find a vigilant customs person that want to see your ammo and count the number of cartridges which has happenedt ome youare screwed. Yo umight beable to explain your way out of it but you might end up in jail also. It has happened!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, what if it was stamped (.416)-375 RUM? Could they grasp that? Regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I know it can be done in Tanzania. The extra barrel is counted as a second gun. May be the same elsewhere too. Is this a Blazer?

At home, these plans sound good. In the field, it is sometimes more of a hinderance. Kind of like the "two different bullet weights for the same gun" argument.

Buy a second action and take two guns.

my $.02 Cool

I think the two barrel idea makes a lot of sense if you were after Buffalo or Elephant and wanted the option to shoot plains game if/when your DG animal is down. Once you shoot your DG switch your barrel out so you are not shooting dik diks with an elephant gun.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AIU

If the cartridege cases are stamped 416-375 Ultra and your ammo declaration reflects that you'd be fine. Can you get brass stamped like that?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
I hunted with two barrels from one set twice in Tanzania .

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, the barrel would be engraved .416-375 RUM, the ammmo 375 RUM. Or I could leave the barrel not engraved and declare 375 RUM ammo. Or engrave the barrel .416-375 RUM and declare .375 RUM. Or have the barrel engraved .375 RUM and declare .375 RUM - unless they got out a micrometer they would not know the difference. Your thoughts. AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G D F:

Did the inspectors check your ammo cases against the barrel engraved type cartridge? AIU

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
OK...here is a question...if I take one action and 2 barrels, and only the action has a serial #, is that a problem? I was actually thinking about taking my Encore with a .375 HH barrel and my muzzleloader barrel as well. Then my other gun will be a .300 bolt gun. The barrels do not have ser #'s at all, only the action...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I have taken my blasers to Africa numerous times. The serial number on the action is what is important to have on the 4457.

Every time through JNB, the inspectors were quite satisfied the 4457 paperwork matched. Not one realized the barrel has its own number. I even had one chap in Moz scrutinize my documents while holding it upside down! He passed it as well.

We never had an issue with two barrels and one action in over 10 transits.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told that in Zambia, a blaser with an extra barrel is considered two rifles. Same for South Africa. In both countries the agents checked the serial number on the receiver not the barrel.

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a 500 A square and the headstamp is ''460 Weatherby'' are they going to lock you up for that ?

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
If you have a 500 A square and the headstamp is ''460 Weatherby'' are they going to lock you up for that ?

Every African country has it's own laws of course but generally, the problem is that they just might confiscate the ammo if the headstamp doesn't match the calibre of the rifle...... frankly, it's not very likely but it's not impossible.

But let's face it, it's not difficult or even overly expensive compared to the price of a safari to have cases made with the correct headstamp, so why make life difficult for yourself?

One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
quote:
Originally posted by G D F:

Did the inspectors check your ammo cases against the barrel engraved type cartridge? AIU

Never.police officer only counted amount my rounds.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take my Valmet 412 with a set of rifle barrels and a set of shotgun barrels quite often. Each barrel set has a number and is so declared. In RSA, a barrel is legally a rifle ... unlike the USA where the action is the firearm.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote