New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would Jurassic Park be fun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If we all were transported in the "wayback machine" to the time of the dinosaurs, say the Mesozoic Era, but still with jet planes, sat phones and big bore double rifles, would the continent of Africa still be the destination for hunting of the world's most dangerous game?

What would it be like?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have a feeling that hunting velociraptors would make DG hunting in Africa look like an outing at Disneyworld. BOOM

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Velociraptors? Is that something like a pissed off emu?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I can determine, the continent of Africa didn't exist during the Jurassic, but formed during the Cretaceous. So you could go and hunt dinosaurs in Africa, but not during the Jurassic.
As far as the fossil record goes, I know that gaint Sauropod fossils have been found in Egypt and the Sudan, but they are Jurassic dinosaurs. I don't know what was living in Africa during the Cretaceous.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Lions have bigger brains than raptors and, Hollywood aside, I cannot see where hunting (or being hunted by) raptors would be worse than the same with a pride of lions. Now the really big carnivores had small brains and lots of bone to protect it, so that might be a different matter.

Spielberg also made his velociraptors a lot larger than they really were for dramatic effect.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
How big a bore diameter could you get out of a 50 BMG case and could scearcy make a double for it? Key question if I am stalking T-Rex or a Mammoth.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I dont think it would susch a great idea to hunt Jurassic animals. Ever killed a snake or any other reptile for that matter not to mention crocodiles how many of them have risen from the dead ???? With reptiles even chopping off the head can still get you bitten if you stick your finger in it's mouth lefty

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
How big a bore diameter could you get out of a 50 BMG case and could scearcy make a double for it? Key question if I am stalking T-Rex or a Mammoth.

You wouldn't have needed much gun for a mammoth as they were smaller than an African elephant and only stood around 9.8ft at the shoulder - a .375 H&H would have been enough gun!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
Why the talk of the big bores??

Sounds like sissy talk to me. There were real hunters back then with spears and things that took the mammoth out. hammering

if it was not for them real hunters we more than likley would not be here stir

The question should be would the .30 stick or the .50 stick be better for penetration versus resistance to ensure a one stab clean kill Cool

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stick and spears - right rotflmo don't forget you'll have to run around in a loincloth made out of beaverskin Big Grin and drag rachel welch off by her hair clap

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Charles_Helm posting

"Spielberg also made his velociraptors a lot larger than they really were for dramatic effect."

Spot on....they were quite small.

The dinosaur the movie was illustrating was undoubtedly Deinonychus......but the name velociraptor is much better Smiler

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun to me! dancing Although, I don't know if I could actually blame anybody for hunting from the vehicle in that situation. But, I think I would take my chances on foot, with an accomplished PH (or two) of course. How much would the taxidermy bill be for a life size T-Rex? I think I would like to hunt a Triceritops, kind of like a really "suped up" Black Rhino. clap

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Also, I wonder if the tail meat off any of those critters would taste good? bewildered Wouldn't it be about the same as croc or gator?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The North American continent would be the place to be during the Jurasic period. This is where T-Rex called home as well as some other large game animals.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
The North American continent would be the place to be during the Jurasic period. This is where T-Rex called home as well as some other large game animals.

Would Kong be in Africa?

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
now a t rex that would require at least a .70 stick with some serious muscle power.

Wonder what the PH's would have charged for a T REX especially if they had to follow up on it.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMcDermott:
As far as I can determine, the continent of Africa didn't exist during the Jurassic, but formed during the Cretaceous. So you could go and hunt dinosaurs in Africa, but not during the Jurassic.
As far as the fossil record goes, I know that gaint Sauropod fossils have been found in Egypt and the Sudan, but they are Jurassic dinosaurs. I don't know what was living in Africa during the Cretaceous.

And just how long ago was this supposdely suppost to be?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
During the Pleistocene a royal mammoth standing 5 meters to the shoulder roamed North America....now that´s an elephant!. Imagine the lenght of the tusks.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Long before Homo sapiens evolved from their primate ancestors and invented the whole God/religion thing Big Grin

And if 'we' could go back in the way back machine then so could the enviros and animal rights twits.

They'd petition to list all Cretaceous, Jurrassic, Mesozoic and Pleistocene species under the Endangered Species Act. And then have them all placed in Appendix 1 at CITES so that no trophies could be time travelled back to our time.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a fantastic time, except for the whole getting eaten by a giant lizard part.... Better make the first shot count on those bad boys! Smiler

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet on the lizards. Use two legged critters would have no chance.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Also, I wonder if the tail meat off any of those critters would taste good? bewildered Wouldn't it be about the same as croc or gator?

The theory is that if the dinos had hollow bones and bone structure similar to birds...

Tastes like chicken!

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
How about a beaver the size of a VW? Would have made a nice blanket. Or a 40' crocodile, an 18' tall rhino or a guinea pig the size of a rhino. Wouldn't want to hit that last one with a pellet gun Eeker

Or for the wingshooters there were birds with 25' wingspans.

"Many of these creatures coexisted with humans towards the end of the Pleistocene, with the last of them becoming extinct less than one thousand years ago."

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
quote:

Long before Homo sapiens evolved from their primate ancestors and invented the whole God/religion thing Big Grin

bull bull thumbdown thumbdown
This is a discussion that would not be civil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, time lines & continents

Permian period, ends 225 million years ago and there is Pangea, a single continental landmass on the earth.

Triassic period, ends 200 million years ago and there are basically two landmasses, Laurasia (todays North America, Europe and Asia) and Gondwanaland (South America, Africa, Antartica, Austrailia and India); but there is believed to be a narrow isthmus between the two continents.

Jurassic period, ends 135 million years ago; Laurasia is still together but Gondwanaland had Antartica and Austrailia split off as a single landmass. also India split off to form a separate landmass. The isthmus between Laurasia and the remains of Gondwanaland is believed to still be there.

Cretaceous period ends 65 million years ago; North America has split from Europe & Asia, South America has split from Africa, Antartica and Austrailia are starting to separate; India is moving toward Asia. Africa is so close to southern Europe and Asia that there are probably land bridges between them. The dinosaurs also disappear at the end of the Cretaceous.

Speilberg did enlarge the velociraptors for his movie, but a couple years after the movie came out a bunch of fossils were found that matched the movie version. The new dinosaur was named Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMcDermott:
Okay, time lines & continents

Permian period, ends 225 million years ago and there is Pangea, a single continental landmass on the earth.

Triassic period, ends 200 million years ago and there are basically two landmasses, Laurasia (todays North America, Europe and Asia) and Gondwanaland (South America, Africa, Antartica, Austrailia and India); but there is believed to be a narrow isthmus between the two continents.

Jurassic period, ends 135 million years ago; Laurasia is still together but Gondwanaland had Antartica and Austrailia split off as a single landmass. also India split off to form a separate landmass. The isthmus between Laurasia and the remains of Gondwanaland is believed to still be there.

Cretaceous period ends 65 million years ago; North America has split from Europe & Asia, South America has split from Africa, Antartica and Austrailia are starting to separate; India is moving toward Asia. Africa is so close to southern Europe and Asia that there are probably land bridges between them. The dinosaurs also disappear at the end of the Cretaceous.

Speilberg did enlarge the velociraptors for his movie, but a couple years after the movie came out a bunch of fossils were found that matched the movie version. The new dinosaur was named Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum.

I guess if you actually believe in this junk. thumbdown thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
Jarrod

www.drdino.com suggests that this is not junk check out under articles the section on dinosours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to how big of a bullet can be fired from 50 BMG brass;

it has a base measurement of .804" I believe. So far we

have Ed Hubel's 700 HE, a belted, rimless 700NE sort of.

Then there's the BMG case that has the rim threaded onto it

by the same man ala 12 Gauge From Hell. I think you might

possible be able to go to 10 BORE, [.779" diameter bullet,

12 Gauge is .729"] Don't forget there ARE BIGGER things to

chose from. SAFARIKID'S "M K OWEN" 4 BORE comes to mind.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boerbokrib:
Jarrod

www.drdino.com suggests that this is not junk check out under articles the section on dinosours.

I don't care what it suggests its crap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A T-Rex might not be that hard to stop. They weighed about 5 tons, which is less than a big elephant, and they only walked on two legs. If you take out one knee or hip, they can't walk.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
Hi Jarrod

were you just to opinionated to check the site out or are you just one of those know it all's

From your caption it would suggest that you God is all powerfull.

However you are to proud to look at a site. A site that shows in the bible the existance of dinosours.

I don't care what it suggests its crap.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boerbokrib:
Hi Jarrod

were you just to opinionated to check the site out or are you just one of those know it all's

However you are to proud to look at a site. A site that shows in the bible the existance of dinosours.

I don't care what it suggests its crap.
[/QUOTE]

No Im not God as you wrote you God, but yes my God is all powerful and he is the only God.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indy probaly has fair point about T Rex.

If we were to go back 65 million years plus (or 6 to 10000 years for Jarrod Big Grin) in some ways it would be like today, that is, the toughest to get down would be the big horned animals such as Triceratops.....a huge skull but tiny little brain in there somewhere and a huge body. Imagine trying to stop a charging Triceratops.

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boerbokrib:
Hi Jarrod

I don't care what it suggests its crap.[/QUOTE

No Im not God as you wrote you God, but yes my God is all powerful and he is the only God.

Really?? Which one? I am pretty sure my god can beat up your god. So that would make my god all powerful.

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boerbokrib:
Hi Jarrod

I don't care what it suggests its crap.[/QUOTE

Really?? Which one? I am pretty sure my god can beat up your god. So that would make my god all powerful.

Im not playing these childish comments with you. There is not but one living God and that is end of story.

I agree completely. I am heartened to hear you have accepted the one true god.

Flying Spaghetti Monster