THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Front sight hoods: Aesthetics or Purpose

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight hoods: Aesthetics or Purpose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please share your perspective on front sight hoods on bolt DGRs. Is there truly a purpose or is it merely aesthetics? I like the way they look, but having used them, I think they are more for aesthetics than practical purpose. They are one more thing to snag on twigs and brush, one more thing to lose. How much legitimate protection do they provide your front sight pin? Your views?

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i didn't take them off 1st, the brush knocked them off never to be found again.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience has only been in the woods of Missouri, so far. However, I found it distracting as I like the light around the pin. However, I have a friend who took buff with his Purdey underlever hammerless and loved the sight hood. I opt for hoodless. I don't believe they are aesthetically pleasing at all.

Dutch

With lead in the air there is hope in the heart.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
They're useless.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Not just useless....f****ng useless.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
They look cool on Mannlicher-Schonauers.

Seriously, I recall reading a rationale the designers had but I forget it. Might have had something to do with winter conditions in the mountains in Europe.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
They are supposed to protect the front sight blade from incidental damage.

They actually do protect the front sight blade from incidental damage, but only if they stay on. Big Grin

I've never had any problems with mine, once I got them properly bent and flexed so that they stayed on.

A spring loaded retention pin, or button, like the ones on the Recknagel/NECG ramps, helps to hold them in place.

Also, I like the ones with windows cut in them, since I generally use fiber optic front beads.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them, especially on my unscoped rifles. In think they do work to prevent a blow to your foresight blade, which might bend it out of true. If not properly designed, they do tend to fall off. My cz 505 invariably shed the hood after the 3rd round, till I soldered it in place. i dont believe they catch on vegetation etc any more than the front sight, and I would rather the hood caught than the frontsight anyway.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For close or short range work on game the front hood is of little use other than to protect the sight blade. For longer shots and target work without a hood you may find that your shots chase the sun, sun from the right you tend to shoot to the right. You may also see more vertical stringing in high and low light conditions with out the hood than with the hood in place. Remember light down sight down, light up sight up.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
They're useless. -- Bill Stewart

Not just useless....f****ng useless.....Steve "Shakari" Robinson

ditto, ditto -- Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a client that used a DR without a front hood. Without knowing he bumped his rifle and he totaly missed an Impala at 80 yrds. On checking his rifle was completely out. He had perfect shots on 2 animals before this incident and he shot another 2 after the sights were fixed.

I think they can be useful

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I bet the Australian Elephant hunter who had his front sight knocked off on the flight over this year wished he had one on for transport.
I use them if my front sight post is tall and at risk of being damaged.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
With today's fiber optic inserts or white bead inserts, I think they are useful. Many come with a window cut in the top which creates a useful combination of protection from bumps plus good light gathering capability.

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Front beads on sporting rifles are rather fragile. Light cut outs are a must on hoods. The proper front sight setup is mil spec. Solid steel front post with solid steel protective wings. This takes it from a poorly thought out nuisance to something that actually enhances the sight picture. It's all the more thoughtless because no gunmaker, fine or factory, has gone to the setup found on an M1/M14-FN FAL/R1. Same with rear peeps. They are useless unless they are correctly sized, placed and sufficiently strong. Again, the perfect iron rear sight is the big 200m apertature on the M16A2. But on a sporting arm, bolt or double, you can't get a ring like this close enough to your eye while retaining an aesthetically pleasing size. The farther away the sight the bigger it has to be. Principle being you always look thru it never at it. This eliminates one plane to focus on. Lever gun peeps had this figured out long ago. Tang mounted sights are fine for PG but I wouldn't use one for DG.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like having the hoods on my rifles that have open sights. Both for function in that they keep the light consistent on the front sight, and I like the appearance of a banded hooded front sight. I haven't had the problem of the hood coming off as I use the NECG banded fronts with the retainer for the hood.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I lost one on the range and one in the bush. Since I stopped replacing them I've quit losing them.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
To me, the hood just looks cool. Cool

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Use a sturdy front site and you dont' need it...And they are damn ugly, IMHO

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by almostacowboy:
I lost one on the range and one in the bush. Since I stopped replacing them I've quit losing them.
Dave

Smiler Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ishmael:
For close or short range work on game the front hood is of little use other than to protect the sight blade. For longer shots and target work without a hood you may find that your shots chase the sun, sun from the right you tend to shoot to the right. You may also see more vertical stringing in high and low light conditions with out the hood than with the hood in place. Remember light down sight down, light up sight up.

Jim
.....I have broken alot of front sights .and missed shots because of the sun ...A hood soldered or pinned to a banded or preferably , integral front sight base is the best imo.....,.A great thing about modern scopes is they don,t care where the light is coming from .....Front sights do ....a correct hood helps solve that ......And it keeps the sight from getting broken .....I will find one or have one made for my 375 Ruger Alaskan when I get it .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I respectfully choose to differ with those who have stated here that front sight hoods have no purpose. Their purpose is to catch on and snag every branch, vine, soft gun case, and anything else that they choose to come in contact with. They will also expand one's profanity vocabulary, espcially when stalking in heavy cover.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Yes, definitely a front sight hood. I'm an aperture sight man, and unless I have a good old fashioned Redfield Sourdough front sight, the hood stays on. My old right eye is good for picking out either the Sourdough or a circle with a dot in the middle, and the front sight hood forms the circle and the front sight forms the dot. Anything beyond 200 yards is too far away anyway...

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
They are supposed to protect the front sight blade from incidental damage.

They actually do protect the front sight blade from incidental damage, but only if they stay on. Big Grin

I've never had any problems with mine, once I got them properly bent and flexed so that they stayed on.

A spring loaded retention pin, or button, like the ones on the Recknagel/NECG ramps, helps to hold them in place.

Also, I like the ones with windows cut in them, since I generally use fiber optic front beads.

I'm in agreement here. My double rifle doesn't have a hood and I carry a spare front sight insert in the trap door grip cap just in case.

The hood on my 375H&H has been bent and mangled any number of times. I've always managed to bend it back. Its the NECG/Recknegel hood with windows. Just thinking about what would have happened to the blade and bead based on what the hood has looked like gives me willies.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote