Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else lose a leopard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Folks,

I learned Friday that my leopard skin was stolen from the taxidermy shop. A Texas Ranger and the Sheriffs Dept. are investigating and may have some leads. I am wondering how many of you have had skins/mounts stolen.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry to hear that -- I hope they recover it soon.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well... you could say my musk ox and caribou were stolen, JB still has them. Mad

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that!

But smells fishy, inside job or a very good "friend" (if you want to call him that!)

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I lost a Zebra rug somewhere between the taxidermist and shipping to my home?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thats why i always get it insured that way i get my value back.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind thoughts.

I will have the skull and claws (I believe) The Sheriffs Office and Ranger have cleared the taxidermist to the degree they can and he has accepted full responsibility. You know you feel like you've taken hard punch when this kind of nonsense happen. I despise thieves.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
By taking full responsibility is he going to replace it by paying for another hunt for you? What's he going to do by way of taking full responsibility since you have to obtain Cites permits, etc? Not to mention that a leopard hunt is not a guaranteed hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear your leopard got stolen.I have been looking for a leopard on the internet. If I see one for sale I will contact you ASAP!

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
That is terrible, my condolences.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is one of many reasons photos are so important.
Sorry about that...hope you get 'em.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thieves and liars...two kinds of people who need their bag split open and their leg ran through it! Mad

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T- Not bashing law enforcement, but sometimes their "procedures" get in the way of quick, common sense solutions. If you have those leads and are so inclined put a private party who specializes in this sort of investigation.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thieves rarely steal anything they can't sell. Watch E-bay and the local pawnshops.

I once had a mount and deposit disappear along with the taxidermist that was doing the work.

Not a leopard skin, but loss of any trophy like that is a low blow.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know stealing something and presenting it as one's own effort is really perverted and unmanly. I visited by phone with two friends over the past few days and they related their stories to me. One had his lion and leopard stolen. A friend spotted the lion in a taxid. shop outside of Phoenix and John walked into the shop told the guy, "That's my lion!" and took it home. He never saw his leopard again though. My other friend had a very nice sable stolen.

Thieves don't walk like men, they slither.

Tom Russell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, they didn't get my lion skin. I am thankful for that.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
My Condolences. Such occurances are heard of so infrequently, I think we lose appreciation that it can happen.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences. If it was a perfect world the theives would be caught and used as live lion bait on your next hunt.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
My condolences. If it was a perfect world the theives would be caught and used as live lion bait on your next hunt.

I hadn't thought, hmmm.

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I had a both left horns from my klippie and steenbok stolen between Zim and California. They didn't take my Leopard though.
Since the Leopard is a CITES animal, you should contact USFWS and give then some photos of the cat and any unusual markings. Don't count on local law enforcement to do it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
BTW, USFWS can walk into any taxidermy shop without warrant and demand to see any CITES or migratory animal and the required paperwork.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What city did the taxiderist work in. My friend has lost a Mt. goat to a guy in Victoria---lawyer is now involved.
I lost my buff hide-- kudu & others to a worm who took a deposit then sat on them for a year while telling us the hides were being processed.

They were being processed by rats who demolished them. This guy isn't worth the cost of a bullet and the trouble it would bring.
Live and learn. Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a zebra skin (archery kill) that magically disappeared from a taxidermist. The same taxidermist also sent my 47" bow killed kudu horns (My first ever archery kill) to me along with the rest of my shipment. The only problem was the horns I received were 31" immature horns from some unfortunate baby kudu.

Greater Karoo Taxidermy in Graff Reinett South Africa. Careful boys and girls!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KINO:
BTW, USFWS can walk into any taxidermy shop without warrant and demand to see any CITES or migratory animal and the required paperwork.

I will call them tomorrow. I had thought of it before but I don't have much confidence in the Feds and so didn't pick up the phone.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
thumbdownTough deal. Very disappointing, but at least you have the photos. Can always have one blown up and nicely framed and matted. Not the same, but still not a bad way to memorialize a terrific adventure.

I wish you luck. Haven't lost one myself, though I did have to threaten to contact a lawyer (named, and not bluffing) on a zebra skin that had been at the tanners for over 2 years. Yeah. Sure. Got it back shortly after that.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
T.Russell,

Best of luck getting your trophy back...

If the skin is found somewhere, but if there is a dispute over whether its yours or not, remember the Police should be able to match the DNA from the Skull or claws to prove it...You might have to push them to go to those lengths, but I'd say it would be worth it...

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
If it was stolen form his shop, then he shoudl have some sort of insurance. Tell him the value is $5,000 or $10,000 or whatever, but make sure you want the value to replace, not just the cost of his work. Then take that money and go again.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2582 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a thought as to where the skin is. If that is the case, hire the right people and go get it. Law enforcement is going to be too slow. The right people might be willing to pose as USFWS. Not that one should advocate such action.... There have been a couple of threads here recently and on other sites were the credibility of certain taxidermists has been questioned. There are some great folks in the business but the industry does seem to have more than a fair share of low rent scumbubbles. If you do know the whereabouts of the skin and they get onto that you are not going to have a chance. Good luck.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote