Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Cards
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
What is the best Credit Card deal out there for the traveling sportsman and why?

Have always used a Cabelas Black Card...but with the decline of Cabelas...want to switch to something else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Captial One Spark... 2% back on everything. Get funds build up, ask, they sent you a check. Can use toward anything you want...not just Cabelas...still have my Black card though.

Used in SA and Zambia..no issues.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Look here to find the card that works best for you. There are several that have both no annual fee and Zero Forex fees.

https://docs.google.com/spread...JyJG-W5Hk/edit#gid=0

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas black still works for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:

+1

I usually buy scopes (Leupold) with my points. Too many rifles. Frowner Smiler

Their ammo is sometimes at a good price and sometimes not, but Leupold scopes always cost the same no matter where you buy them, so I just use my points. Probably received 15 scopes for free over the years, besides numerous other gear.

Sad to see Cabelas going downhill, but I still appreciate the free stuff...

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want in return... miles, cash back, hotel rewards, no foreign transaction fees, etc...

But I would avoid anything that has a RFID/NFC chip in it (not to be confused with the new security chip).

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Chase United card. Use the airline miles for overseas/domestic travel. Has worked pretty well for me.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1112 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chase Sapphire Preferred

Chase

Plus it's metal...so it's like a poor mans Centurion hilbily

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Cabela's Black for me.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should look for one that doesn't charge fees for foreign exchange. I don't remember the rate but I believe regular cards charge you 3% on foreign currency transactions, which could add up quickly. I believe they charge that 3% also for US dollar transactions if the charge is from overseas, but not 100% sure. A card with no foreign transactions fees is the way to go.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to Chase, but I have a BofA, and a Cap1 card too..

I've been in the credit card business for over 40 years.. I find this to be probably the best card comparison site out there...

http://www.creditcards.com

Good luck!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received a BOA Travel Rewards card.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Citi Double Cash. It's 2% back on everything, 1 when you charge and 1 when you pay, builds up in a hurry. However, it charges 3% for foreign transactions. One, since I don't travel overseas that much anymore and two, because I try to avoid credit card use in shaky places like Africa, that doesn't bother me that much and three, because you get 2% back, the foreign transactions net out at 1% cost. I can live with that. Best and simplest I've found.

My son, who is obviously younger and possibly smarter (shhhhh!) than his old man, plays credit cards like a piano, using this one for gas, that one for travel charges, etc and he builds up cash rewards in a hurry, but the hassle of carrying and remembering which cards to use where is not worth it for me.

If you don't charge that much, there are several "bonus cash" cards that might be better, but they usually pay 1 or 1 1/2%. The 1/2% difference makes up for the "bonus" pretty quickly if you are a heavy card user. OTOH, one can get the cards, get the bonus, redeem it and go on to the next bonus card, just not worth the trouble to me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a BOA travel card, No foreign transaction fee and cash back on purchases. In the states, I use BOA regular cash back card, more cash back.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just depends on your usage, but for example, if you use Double Cash and charge $10,000 worth of foreign transactions, you will lose $100 (-3% + 2%).

OTOH, if you charge $10,000 in the US, you will gain at least $50 over most of the other cards, subject to some special offers.

Personally, I'm going to charge many multiples of US charges compared to foreign ones, so the loss on foreign charges is easily cancelled out by the gain on US ones. Just at a wild guess, I have charged at least 100x US vs foreign in the last couple of years, but, obviously if you travel outside US often, the ratio can be much closer.

Different strokes for different folks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capital One!

I used Cabelas previously and they were good. I switched to Capital One and have no intention of switching.

It has always worked in Africa and Mexico. It's been locked a few times but I'm glad they did, as the charges would seem odd!

No issues with sky miles or the 2% cash back!

I have cards for my employees as well.

My miles have paid for a lot of travel.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skip Nantz:
I'm using Captial One Spark... 2% back on everything. Get funds build up, ask, they sent you a check. Can use toward anything you want...not just Cabelas...still have my Black card though.

Used in SA and Zambia..no issues.

yup! Spark or Venture. Same 2%.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
DIFFERENT CARD COMPANIES FOR BUSINESS AND PERSONAL.
AA Advantage Gold Master personal card that earns AA miles. Has covered lots of air travel including trips to RSA, Alaska, England, Kauii, etc.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got hit by a late fee/interest charge one year from Chase. I always send my payments in 10-15 days before they are due.

Somehow my check got lost and they didn't find it, until after my due date had past.

When I complained, I asked what date was the post mark on the envelope and I was told they don't keep that.

I paid their stupid late fees/interest and then cancelled the card. I was so PO'd that I paid off my house mortgage (with Chase) 15 years early, thus costing them thousands of dollars in interest.

I have never used any Chase product since.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:

+1

Their ammo is sometimes at a good price and sometimes not, but Leupold scopes always cost the same no matter where you buy them, so I just use my points. Probably received 15 scopes for free over the years, besides numerous other gear.

Ha! I do the same thing. Leupold 2.5X8 scopes are like currency. I can sell them when I want or keep them as new in the box.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's black for me as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Cabela's black for me as well.

+1

Posts: 161 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

Chase

Plus it's metal...so it's like a poor mans Centurion hilbily

Same here. Still have the Cabela's black, but they were a nightmare trying to get a deposit to the UK a couple of years ago and they charge a fee for overseas purchases. The Chase card does not.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up American express, no annual fee, don't know about Forex charges, plan on using it this fall. Last fall, wife and I to Europe and Wells Fargo raped us on those fees.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amex in Africa is worthless. No one takes it. Europe is better, but you will find places that won't take it either. You can get them with no foreign transaction fees, but that really doesn't matter when you can't use it.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My BofA card has nor foreign transaction fees.

Posts: 1092 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAC:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:

+1

Ha! I do the same thing. Leupold 2.5X8 scopes are like currency. I can sell them when I want or keep them as new in the box.

Yep. Leupold 2.5-8. Hard to beat as the best general purpose hunting scope.

I just got another FREE Leu. 2.5-8 (B&C) from Cabelas today for my 375 H&H. I had a 1.5-5 on it, but I need more reach for Sitatunga.

I would find it very disheartening to actually 'buy' a scope these days!! Big Grin

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote