New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation of taxidermist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need a recommendation of a taxidermist in the Petiersburg area of RSA. Safari Taxidermy recommended by my PH seems extremely high compared to what others are posting on this site. Any help will be appreciated.

Posts: 274 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many here including myself have been very happy with LifeForm Taxidermy.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi GA SixGunner,

I also have been reccomended Safari Taxidermy. I'd be interested in anyones experiences with them. A friend had his done there last year and was quite pleased.

Regards,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
GA Sixgunner,

I have 5 animals at Safari Taxidermy as we speak. They were recommended to me via my booking agent who is also getting work done there as well. He has used them several times in the past and says they do excellent work.

Even though I have not seen my animals yet, I can say they are prompt on answering any questions I had regarding my trophies. My trophies should be completed either this month or in July. So, I might be able to give you more info once they arrive.

I will say this though. I asked them a couple questions regarding shipping via air or ocean and they proceeded to go ahead and get me extimated quotes for both shipping methods. I didn't ask for the quotes but they went out of their way to do so, which gained them a couple brownie points in my book.

Just as soon as I hear anything new I'll let ya know.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's quite a lot of taxidermists in the Pietersburg area but IMO none of them are anywhere near as good as Lifeform Taxidermy in White River.

You can see some examples of their work at http://www.lifeform.co.za

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Have you considered using a taxidermist here in the US? Quality control can be better here, not to mention the shipping cost for completed items from Africa can be high...

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
This once is farther north in LOUIS TRICHARDT.I had work done twice.

http://www.asite.co.za/taxidermy/

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes I have considered having things done in US I just need someone to pack and dip at a reasonable price. $200 dollars to pack and dip a kudu seems a little high.

Posts: 274 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a quote from Taxidermy Africa who I used last time. They are in Humansdorp so not as convenient, but you could at least get another opinion on what the charges should be. [Or you can talk to them and see their work at SCI in Reno usually.]

I made a comparison of prices in this POST last year.

If you get the opportunity while in RSA it is good to visit one or more of these shops.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Life-Form did my mounts and the work was excellent.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by baboon:
This once is farther north in LOUIS TRICHARDT.I had work done twice.
http://www.asite.co.za/taxidermy/

Yes, he is a good one, I can highly recommend Tony Rathbone, the owner of Field & Stream Taxidermy. By the way, Louis Trichardt is just an hour from Pietersburg.

Born in Zambia (Northern Rhodesia) and brought up on stories of the great hunting days of the 1950's, love for nature, wildlife and hunting was started in early childhood. Tony started taxidermy approximately 24 years ago as a hobby and has progressed until he started Field and Stream taxidermy in 1985. Since then we have gone from strength to strength and have become one of the largest studios in Southern Africa. At present our factory / studio is approximately 1400m2 in size and we employ 20 staff members. As a keen and avid hunter Tony appreciates what trophies mean to clients and this has a direct influence on the quality of trophies prepared by Field and Stream Taxidermy.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I and all of my hunting companions have used a guy named Dennis Doherty in Petoria. He is excellent and very reasonable. He charges in SA Rand, so the charges will go up and down with currency rates, but it is always inexpensive. I just paid him for 15 mounts, 12 shoulder, one pedistal and two life size and the USD total was about $4,050.00.

One warning, it'll take about a year to get your trophies, as he tends to be backed up, but I think it is worth it if you can wait a bit. His e-mail is ddoherty@lantic.net. I have a telephone number too, if you want it. PM me and I will get it for you.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
WE use Tony Rathbone (AKA) RATTLEBONES for our hunting clients trophies.

As his CV states he is a hunter himself and has hunted extensively both in Africa & overseas as well.

Our client have been well pleased with his work and we continue to use his services for dip pack and in some instances local SA mounting as required

EMAIL Peter  Balla-Balla Company Portfolio
Peter J. Bird

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote