New
Find
Notify
Tools

CD's of African Tribal Music...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I was in Namibia last year I didn't have the time to visit a music store...but we did hear some fine music coming from the compound of the staff being played on the radio often!!!

It was awesome!

Could anyone recommend where I could purchase some great music here in the US of the indigenous people of Africa! I miss it for sure!

Thanks!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just do a search on Ladysmith Black Mambezo amd you'll find what you're looking for

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heard these guys live in concert right here in little old Oregon some years ago. Enchanting!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16601 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Search for a band called Freshly Ground out of South Africa. Contemporary, but great.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Noticed last night on one of Craig Bodington"s shows (Africa with Craig Bodington if I remember correctly) that the background music was really great -- commented to the wife how good it was -- problem is figuring out just what the name and source of it is.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Drop Russell Caldecot a line - he has a couple of excellent bands that play at his lodge on certain nights. I know they sell CD's and maybe Russ can send you a couple.

David

http://www.ultimatelodge.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info, I appreciate it thumb

Merry Christmas!

One of Us
Picture of Jim Schaefer
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you have seen the movie "In The Blood", Robin Hurt is the PH in it. It is basically the movie that renewed my father's desire to come to Africa and jump start mine. It is about a 5th generaton relative of Teddy Roosevelt going to Tanzania to hunt with his the same gun used by Teddy on his famous safari. Anyways, in the movie there is music by a Nigerian, Babatunde Olatunji. He has unfortunetly passed away since the making of this movie but his music is used throughout the movie and it is awesome. I would recommend finding some of his music. He is pretty famous and has toured around the world so I think you should be able to find some of his music online. Good Luck! Jim Schaefer

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..."
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Posts: 52 | Location: Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
More interested in the movie. I found it in VHS on Amazon. DVD's were really pricey.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Schaefer:
Not sure if you have seen the movie "In The Blood", Robin Hurt is the PH in it. It is basically the movie that renewed my father's desire to come to Africa and jump start mine. It is about a 5th generaton relative of Teddy Roosevelt going to Tanzania to hunt with his the same gun used by Teddy on his famous safari. Anyways, in the movie there is music by a Nigerian, Babatunde Olatunji. He has unfortunetly passed away since the making of this movie but his music is used throughout the movie and it is awesome. I would recommend finding some of his music. He is pretty famous and has toured around the world so I think you should be able to find some of his music online. Good Luck! Jim Schaefer

COOL Jim...I will look into them for sure thumb

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I just recently picked up a CD from amazon called "Traditional Songs and Dances from Africa" that I plan to use to add to slide shows of safaris. It is one of the few traditional CDs that I could find.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I noticed a large selection of African CD's on amazon when I was looking for the movie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask yout local music store to source the best of Johhny Clegg and Savuka cd, you'll love it I guarantee! dancing

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Johhny Clegg and Savuka

Actualy it is Johnny Clegg and you can see his videos on U-Tube. Check out African Sky Blue for starters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on folks for all the leads...I appreciate it thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actualy it is Johnny Clegg and you can see his videos on U-Tube. Check out African Sky Blue for starters.

Johnny Clegg's original band was called Juluka, then after some band members left and were replaced they changed the name to Johhny Clegg and his band Savuka! Now a days its just Johhny Clegg. IMHO "Spirit of the great heart" best song ever! coffee

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You can probably download a fair bit of music from most of the artists mentioned from www.frostwire.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Settlers Safaris: I carry the Johnny Clegg CD in my truck and love to play "Spirit of the Great Heart". That song can get the spirit of Africa going in you in no time!!