THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    live report from chewore south - day one added -

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

live report from chewore south - day one added -
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
well people its a while since we have a "live" report , thanks to andy cool at explorer satellite this is possible ,

we got to camp today , settled in , we have a couple of tuskless on the cards as well as a couple of tusked cows so it should be a great hunt , the bush is not as thick as when i was here last in march - there are lions everywhere, in fact as i type the guys have just chased two lionesses from the skinning shed !!

we got some spectacular footage on the way in of some cows VERY close as we looked for tuskless - no tuskless but a great approach !

i will post pics and reports as and when i can-

enjoy !

Well people , its been a couple of great days out here , its been pretty cold in the morning and then up to about 80- by 10 am , - normal for this time of the year , we also have the august winds at this time of the year which are great – the wind makes a lot of noise in the leaves and trees and add that to the extra movement and it makes approaching elephants in the jesse that much easier – on the other hand the dry leaves on the ground can be frustrating when trying to approach an animal that’s aware of you – its like walking on cornflakes – very loud and crunchy !!

We are hunting a couple of elephant cows on this safari – we have two tuskless tags and also two ration cow tags , the ration cows are cows that are put on quota from time to time and are used for staff meat rations , its not mandatory to shoot tuskless on these and so one is looking for an old animal , past breeding without a calf – there are lots and lots of elephants in the valley and so I am sure we wont have a hard time finding suitable situations –

Our first day we spent a lot of time on the angwa river , its on the eastern side , very pretty , lots of other wildlife , - we saw three large herds of waterbuck a couople of herds of buffalo and of course the baboons , bushbuck , impala etc not to mention the odd warthog here and there –

Running the vehicle down the sandy riverbeds is highly productive at this time of the year , the elephants are all in the riverine jesse either side of these wide riverbeds and we were able to get into several groups having either spotted them on the sand or seen their fresh sign and followed them in from the sand – they dig into the sandy riverbeds with their trunks and one comes across areas they have been digging its literally littered with sign –

Our first encounter was pretty exciting , we had seen the last of a group walking up the bank and so we eased in behind them , the wind was still (for a few minutes at least) and we could hear them crunching through the bush in front of us , - within a few minutes we could see their legs but were unable to see their heads or anything else – then the wind swirled , - Renz , my cameraman hissed at me and pointed and there to our right in a small clearing was a HUGE cow with a calf , she was still and listening – the tip of her trunk turning towards the wind - I tested the wind with my ash and it was drifting slowly but straight towards her – and at 15 yards this could go south , - if we moved our noise on the dry leaves would probably annoy her and she would come in , if we stayed still our wind would soon be on her. We were all squatting and suddenly a gust on the back of my neck told me it would soon be over !! she immediately raised her head and rushed towards us – her calf close behind , I stood up from my haunches and yelled HEY HEY HEY – she stopped , kicked some sand towards us and trumpeted very loudly then to my great relief turned and hustled out of there – we were not out of the woods yet though , as soon as she trumpeted the rest of the group came running towards her – so now we have ten or 12 cows , three calves and swirling wind all at about 20 yards and we are on cornflakes !!

We remained very still and she rushed in again , this time a little less vigorously , I shouted again and she turned and to my great relief the whole group shuffled off into the jesse – whew , I looked back at the guys , everyone was grinning half in relief half in nervousness !! this was elephant hunting – Renz captured the whole thing and that night as we reviewed the incident on the computer I realized that the wole thing had been just one and a half minutes , it seemed like half an hour !!

The rest of the day passed without incident – we didn’t take an elephant but what an incredible first day of hunting !!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

What camp in Chewore South? I'll be in Kachoe in about 6 weeks - have sent you an email - hunting bull and tuskless with Len Taylor.

A current report and pics on conditions would be greatly appreciated and helpful. This is the hunt we were supposed to do together.

Keep well,

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love the Chewore South concession. My tuskless/buff hunt in '09 was the stuff dreams are made of - 210 eles in 14 days!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Last month I was hunting with Len, and got a nice bull elephant, and buffalo. Can you do me a favour? When you are at camp near the fire tell Len, Joe Jr and his Dad from CANADA says hi, and to Shayne the camp manager for Kachoe we also say hi.
Good Luck on your hunt and have fun.

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
white north,

It will be my pleasure. PM inbound to you.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CS is a fantastic and classic safari area!

I'd go back in a second (and will)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last month I was hunting with Len, and got a nice bull elephant, and buffalo.

Len's a cool guy - shared camp with him back in 08...Hard worker!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted CS is 2006 for the first 15 days of a 35 day Safari. I had a great hunt. I shot a few plains game, cape buff, lion, and a bull elephant.

I had crock and hippo in the river 15 yards from the tent every night.

I saw LOTS of buffalo and LOTS of elephants.

One morning as daylight broke I had a good leopard hanging on my lion bait, a bait that had been hit several times by lion.

I had a Leopard "permit" for CS, as well as the SAVE so we let the Leopard go, hoping the lion would come in...

I did not shoot the lion on the bait, but did so with my 450.400 3/4" double after a spot and a short stalk.
It was pretty exciting and a lot of fun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony: A 35-day safari? Wow!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
I hunted CS in September 2008 right when Lehman Brothers folded. It is an incredible dangerous game concession. I saw twenty plus lions including ten on a fresh buffalo kill, a couple of hundered elephants, two leopards in broad daylight and plenty of buffalo on a ten day hunt. I would love to go back.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted Chewore South for my first African hunt. It was a magical place. I will have to get back there someday.

I didn't realize how incredibly lucky I was then, with finding buffalo whenever wanted to and having the whole herd parade in front of us.

Anyone hunting there is in for a treat!

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ivan:

He's still working as of last week at Matetsi! Keep the faith and may Lil' Ernie do you more magic, too!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote