THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: THR looking for SAA Airbus experience

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: THR looking for SAA Airbus experience
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Just out of interest,

For those whom have travelled on both Boeing & Airbus

Is it only the cramped seating that seems to be the MAIN problem with the Airbus, is it the specific seating arrangements that have been installed or is it an inherant [ plane cabin design ] that is the problem, in other words could it be solved by having a new seating arrangement

Is it possible for the USA to negotiate with South Africa to fly that route into SA as well, or does SAA want a monoply on travel from the USA to SA, is it economics and politics that prevents the USA entering on that route ??

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you actually think Saeed flies coach?

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I received to questions on their service. They're holding pat. The first one I asked if they plan on changing the seat pattern. The second is a form letter on how they are offering what the competitors offer. SAA have other jets listed on their site so it may be luck of the draw.

1.Hello Mr. XXXXXXXX,

No, not to my knowledge, but maybe by 2005 we will. You should know that all airlines to Africa have the same configuration and seat size.
If to go to Airlinequality.com you can judge for yourself.

Thank you

Maureen

Maureen Gordon

2. August 16,2004

Hi XXXXX:
As you are aware we have received some complaints regarding the Airbus. Here is the standard response South African Airways is sending to our clients. We do a weekly report to Johannesburg and are well aware of the difficulties affecting some of the passengers. There are no plans at present to change the configuration particularly since it is the same for all carriers flying our route, in fact Virgin has the same Airbus up to and including the video boxes under the seats.

South African Airways has taken a strategic decision in offering the legroom it currently has on its aircraft in order to match its major competitors in the markets it serves.

This not only maintains our competitiveness but also follows a global industry standard. Compared to airlines across the world, taking into account South African Airways major competitors flying into South Africa, one finds they all follow the same seat pitch in economy, which is 31 inches (78,74cm).
As the airline industry developed primarily in the United States, seat pitches are measured in inches. This standard is not compulsory and very slight variations, if any, will be found. Our major competitors into South Africa all offer a 31-inch seat pitch, while one or two offer a 32-inch pitch maximum.

In business and first class, a similar strategy is adopted, with competition offering a lie-flat seat. We have fitted our entire Airbus fleet with a complete lie-flat product in the premium section as well as in the 747-400.

We appreciate that you took the time to send us your comments. We understand that you have a choice of carriers, and we very much want to keep your business. Please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Maureen Gordon
Manager, Customer Care - USA

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Moved my comments to a new thread [ Emirates - JFK vis Dubai to Jo-burg ]

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that Emirates Air is flying nonstop to Dubai from New York and then on to Johannesburg, will they be an option for hunters to avoid SAA?

Plus we can all stop over in Dubai too!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I've flown Virgin quite a bit lately between RSA and USA, and I would put it far above SAA in terms of comfort and service. I had no problems flying with my rifles through Heathrow, either.

On one flight between LHR and JNB, they used an older airbus A340, and it had so much room between the seats (pitch). The tradeoff was that the video screen in the seat was smaller than the other airbuses.

They use 747 betweeen LHR and JFK, and that was a great plane to fly on.

I'd fly Virgin any time over SAA anymore.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote