THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Import of "Worked" Elephant Trophies

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Import of "Worked" Elephant Trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
I know there were some discussions on this subject recently, but I don't remember how it was resolved, IF it was resolved. And I'll certainly make a couple of calls to the USFWS to confirm, but what is the current position on importing elephant products from Zim that have been "worked"? By worked, I'm speaking mainly of having the hide tanned over there as it is a fraction of the cost of having it done here. I've got a huge crate of ele skin from my first bull that I just refuse to pay for having tanned, at least for now. I'd like to get my bull just taken tanned or even made into a few products prior to export.

I seem to remember some discussions of USFWS seizing tusks that had been "capped and chained" or even simply had floor bases constructed, and not attached to the tusks themselves. Has any of this been resolved? If so, and tanned hide is now OK, what about having that leather made into gun cases or ammo belts prior to import into the USA.

After I hear back from the USFWS, I'll post their replies. Just wondering if anyone has FIRST HAND AND CURRENT experience with this.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Todd, I have had tanned and dyed elephant hide shipped back many times with no issues. It was all just in panels, no products like cases, etc.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Andy Hunter in Zim handled mine-tanned all the hide they could skin-came in no problems in 2013

Like Mike said-panels, not finished products like cases and such.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/internation...nted-trophy-2012.pdf

This is still the most current hand out for elephant and leopard rules. It explains it pretty good.

As mentioned, I had Andy Hunter take care of my tanning and export of ele panels from my Zim hunt, and had no problems whatsoever.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received a month or two ago two elephant hides taned in Zimbabwe with NO problem.

Used Zimbabwe Freight Consultants (Lily Milne) to ship and Well in Houston (Lynette Lilly) to import.

No delay, no hassle, Mrs. Milne has all of her ducks in a row in Zimbabwe, takes care of all the paperwork there and whatever is required here. She works very closely with Mrs. Lilly of Well in Houston.

Anyone not able to Google them let me know and we shall happily provide the contact information.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Here's a quote from above referenced fact sheet:
Only the complete tusks of sport-hunted trophies can be imported. All ivory, including carvings and jewelry, even if they were made from your trophy, may not be imported into the United States.

I didn't see anything about the hide.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend working with Andy Hunter. He will do a good job and can arrange the tanning etc as well.
Arjun

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy Hunter's wife makes an assortment of elephant leather products. i had no issue clearing and bought gun cases,pocket books and belts.
chris

Posts: 172 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FWS blurb is clear that leather goods from elephants originating in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe can enter the U.S. Not clear if they have to be made from your elephant or any elephant from those countries, but as I read the text it's leather goods from any elephant in Bots-Nam-RSA-Zim.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents
If you've hunted an elephant in Zimbabwe you can have the leather tanned and made into products(guncases etc) and bracelets made from the tail hair. This will then go on a CItes purpose code P export permit. Normal trophies and hides will go on the normal H permit. However worked ivory is a different issue completely. If you carve or skrimshaw ivory it changes the status and you will need an import permit from F & WL -same as a leopard. If you decide to have bases made then ensure nothing is done to the tusks.

Hope this helps

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Fully agree with the other guys and in fact my taxidermist with 45 years experience recommends have you ele hide tanned in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
OK, Thanks guys. Good to know. The reason I asked is that there were a few threads discussed late last year (2013) in which some new regulations (as reported here by Kathi:https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/2421032691?r=8421082691#8421082691) had gone into effect and SOME USFWS offices were interpreting importability on their own. I haven't spent the time to dig up these old threads but I distinctively remember one poster stating knowledge of ivory being seized from one crate because bases in which to display the tusks were found in one of his other crates as part of the same shipment. USFWS interpreted the tusks had been "worked". I don't know if that was ever resolved but the discussion was started as a result of this new executive order concerning wildlife trafficking.

In that discussion, the issue of tanned leather was raised but I don't remember if anyone with first hand knowledge ever gave a definitive answer. I'll be making a few calls to the DFW USFWS in the next day or so and I'll report back what they have to say.

Thanks for the answers.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Todd,

Sorry I missed you at DSC - missed everyone as I had my granddaughter delay her birth arrival until last Sunday, so cancelled my plans. I will now be attending SCI for all 4 days.

I checked with USF&W on this topic prior to Beau and I doing our June 2013 Ele hunts. I kept the email replies and will try to dig them out and fwd to your email. Bottom line is that we expect no problems from importing the ivory with wrapped bases (brass) and wood pedestals. All hide to be tanned in country and sent in panels.

I would strongly suggest you consider having your hide worked here by Henry at Falcon's Forge, as Michael458 and many others here on AR have done. Do a search and you will find pics of Henry's work and many AR endorsements.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I believe the location of where the cites is issued and when. Tanzania needs a cites issued from USA and Zim I know issued their cites.
I received from my first ele tanned hide in grey and black I wish I have some of the buckskin colored.
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Todd,

I believe the location of where the cites is issued and when. Tanzania needs a cites issued from USA and Zim I know issued their cites.
I received from my first ele tanned hide in grey and black I wish I have some of the buckskin colored.
Mike

Lots of Mikes around here! Smiler

Yea Mike, Tanz requires both an import (from USA) and export (from Tanz) CITIES permit for elephant. Zim just requires the export permit from (Zim). My inquiry was specifically in reference to policy since the Obama Administration's Executive Order from mid 2013 that I referenced above in Kathi's post. There was some confusion after that and I'm trying to ascertain if it's been sorted out with any reasonable expectations at this point, or if some of the more "rogue" USFWS entry ports are still having their way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told that the tusks could not be worked, but the rest could.

Since I am having pretty much my entire hide turned into things for family gifts, I guess they had better be right (it looked like that was the case per USF&W, but one never knows what any individual inspector might do or say...

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote