THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Sending snail mail packages to Namibia-advice please

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sending snail mail packages to Namibia-advice please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AR Colleagues,

Apologies, this post is not African hunting specific but not sure where else to post it:

I need to send a package to Namibia (Windhoek postal address) in the next few weeks. The items are handmade personal items in nature, not especially of high monetary value, but cannot be easily replaced. Total package weight is about 20 pounds. What is the best way to send snail mail packages to Windhoek and ensure their delivery? Does anyone have an idea of delivery time from the eastern US? I’ve not had good luck sending to RSA in the past (pilfered) but hopefully the Namibia mail process is more ethical. Anyone have recent experience and advice.

Thanks in advance and apologies again for an off topic post.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
AR Colleagues,

Apologies, this post is not African hunting specific but not sure where else to post it:

I need to send a package to Namibia (Windhoek postal address) in the next few weeks. The items are handmade personal items in nature, not especially of high monetary value, but cannot be easily replaced. Total package weight is about 20 pounds. What is the best way to send snail mail packages to Windhoek and ensure their delivery? Does anyone have an idea of delivery time from the eastern US? I’ve not had good luck sending to RSA in the past (pilfered) but hopefully the Namibia mail process is more ethical. Anyone have recent experience and advice.

Thanks in advance and apologies again for an off topic post.

Paul

Not that sure that there is such a thing as safe snail mail.

I'd use DHL if they go there.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to send a present to my outfitter in Nambia a couple of years ago. He STRONGLY told me not to send anything my regular mail. He was sure it would be pilfered. So I ended up couriering it by DHL to Windhoek where he picked it up.

Not to throw any cold water on your plans. Just passing on what I was told.

Here's an alternative idea. If you are overnighting in Johannesburg on your way to Nambia, you can stay at the AFton Guest House near the airport. Contact the proprietors, Louis and Annalise, by email about he best way to get your stuff to AFton. Then you can pick it up on your way there.

Louis used to be a manager at one of the airlines so he knows the airport people well. Maybe he can ensure that your stuff will be safe?

Posts: 76 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sent packages to my freinds in Namibia. I did it by regular mail, and paid insurance. His wife loves M&M's and can't get them. It is not cheap! But they have gotten everything I have sent. I just go to the post office and send them out.
Good Luck

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't send anything of value! Nothing around the holidays and always use a private carrier. Nothing is safe!
The last card I received from Namibia took two months.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DHL deliver there and are 100% reliable, but will be expensive.

The Big Kahuna's advice is a good idea.

The regular mail is subject to pilferage, no doubt about it.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
FED EX is another choice. While in the states last year, my PH sent several deer capes and racks to himself in RSA and they made it fine. He even got around all the customs BS this way.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I use EMS (version of regular mail) and have had very good luck from and to Botswana. Matter of fact the Botswana to seattle travel time has been as little as 5 days! Saeed used this service to send me the safari videos and believe it or not from Dubai, it got to seattle in 2 days.
My local mail carrier looked at me dumb when I asked about it, but the more experienced person there helped me out. reasonable rates and tracking (sort-of)
_BAxter

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Paul, if not DHL, and assuming this is for a PH/outfitter, another option is hooking up with a hunter heading there. Likely difficult now as it is end of the season though. My experience is that guys are gracious and receptive to helping out their PH in this manner.

You can get a quote by going to the www.dhl.com website, creating an account, and plugging some numbers in.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After my hunt in Namibia we sent several packages back there including a pair bbinoculars. The customs form asked for a value of the items so aprarently the people handling it knew what it was and how much it was wort. Everything made it thre, but your deadline of two weeks might be a problem. Don't remember how long it took, but I'm wanting to say about 3 weeks.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I ship a package to Windhoek from Milan (Italy), and it has been delivered regularly. I preferred use the normal post shipment and it has been sent by sea via Crgo ship. It took about two months, but it cost half than by plane.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently had to send some $$$ to Zim, in the form of certified funds. DHL cost me ~ $80 US. Seems pretty steep.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I have had very poor luck sending packages via the post office, to Namibia. The last three I sent, never arrived. Twice, I sent my PH photos of our hunt. They never got there. I also sent a few Christmas gifts, and they never showed up either.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AR Colleagues,

Thanks to all for the advice, caveats and information on sending material to Namibia. Looks like I have a number of choices. Going to look into DHL more closely, my first phone conversation with them they told me that they could "guarantee" delivery....skeptical but will investigate more.

Thanks again for all the responses.
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im in the import export business and DHL or Fedex is the only way to go. They can get the job done consistantly in some very strange places. You dont need to be concerned with either company.

Its been a hell of a party Woodrow

Posts: 46 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't send anything the normal way! Christmas is coming up and parcels don't usually make it. The best thing I had was an empty cookie box arriving from germany. I hope that the guys at the post office choked on them!

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy:
Im in the import export business and DHL or Fedex is the only way to go. They can get the job done consistantly in some very strange places. You dont need to be concerned with either company.

Not so sure about the no concern part -- I recently utilized DHL to send my rifle info to Jo Berg for the SAPS paper work -- the parcel was in a letter size envelope -- maybe 12 pages - when the girl at DHL rang it up I about fainted when she said $147 for the envelope to Jo-berg -- and this was the cheapest -- not overnight or anything special---after I about gagged - she said the computer had re-figured the amount and it was actually $65 which I had to pay. I am now locked in combat with DHL over the original amount of $147 which they have recently billed me for and claim I owe them on top of the $65 which I paid -- and this is just for a letter size envelope.

I basically told them no way and they are looking into the situation. Incidentally, the person on the help line was about as my ex-mother -in-law on a bad hair day.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeh375:
Paul, I have had very poor luck sending packages via the post office, to Namibia. The last three I sent, never arrived. Twice, I sent my PH photos of our hunt. They never got there. I also sent a few Christmas gifts, and they never showed up either.

It must be you! The only one I sent made it, although not quite on the schedule I was quoted at the post office... Roll Eyes

Of course I am just kidding, but I suggest you hand-carry the parcels in the future!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with Namibia, but if you have to send something somewhere questionable, go DHL -- although Fedex is supposed to be good to Zambia, I've had some issues -- $80 (fastest rate they had), take at least a week, and no responsibility other than to get it to the border. DHL at least actually operated inside the country. With that said, the "EMS" thing he mentioned, is just global express mail in the US -- which works well -- 11 pounds to St. Petersburg in 5 days for about $60.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote