New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gwaii Ranches?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just read of a "great" hunting report that just took place in the Gwaii area of Zimbabwe. Am I mistaken but wasn't this one of the first areas to be taken over by land redistribution and depleted of game? I dont doubt the report as the gentleman had specific locations such as the Intensive Conseervation Area (ICA), Farm(s) 27, 28 and 37, Dete Annex and Malindi. He reported to take a good lion, buffalo, >65 lb ele, 40" sable and good eland.

What is up with Gwaii?

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
I just read of a "great" hunting report that just took place in the Gwaii area of Zimbabwe. Am I mistaken but wasn't this one of the first areas to be taken over by land redistribution and depleted of game? I dont doubt the report as the gentleman had specific locations such as the Intensive Conseervation Area (ICA), Farm(s) 27, 28 and 37, Dete Annex and Malindi. He reported to take a good lion, buffalo, >65 lb ele, 40" sable and good eland.

What is up with Gwaii?

A little research shows the area named "Gwaai - Insuza ICA".

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
One of the first areas taken over? I am not sure.

I was on one of the last private conservancies in 2003. Really didn't follow what happened since then, just too painful to think about that beautiful area.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
Ive been on all thos properties they have definately been taken. Malindi has a beautiful railway carriage type lodge just decaying.

Lalaphansi safaris ?? owned by Brig. Gen. Ben Matawasa/matawasi.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leopards valley safaris:
Ive been on all thos properties they have definately been taken. Malindi has a beautiful railway carriage type lodge just decaying.

My point is that is a prety good safari report, anywhere, let alone on lands that have been "taken". He did mention that his lion permit, one of 3, was "auctioned" and that lion permits are "very hard to come by".

Anyone have any recent reports on game numbers/hunting in this area?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My point is that is a prety good safari report, anywhere, let alone on lands that have been "taken". He did mention that his lion permit, one of 3, was "auctioned" and that lion permits are "very hard to come by".

If it's seized land & the Brig. Gen is the 'new owner' he will be on the US banned list & therefore any US citizen hunting there will be in breach of the Lacey Act & could & should face heavy fines & serious jail time........ and any person from anywhere in the world who hunts there will be stealing from the real landowners & supporting the illegal, murderous & genocidal regime of Robert Mugabe & therefore deserves to be tied to a tree for leopard bait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
quote:

If it's seized land & the Brig. Gen is the 'new owner' he will be on the US banned list & therefore any US citizen hunting there will be in breach of the Lacey Act & could & should face heavy fines & serious jail time........ and any person from anywhere in the world who hunts there will be stealing from the real landowners & supporting the illegal, murderous & genocidal regime of Robert Mugabe & therefore deserves to be tied to a tree for leopard bait.

Thanks for clearing this up...in reading the report on another forum it appeared that the hunter was not from the US.

Again my only suprise was that this area could produce a safari at all let alone a good maned lion, buffalo, >65 ele, 40" Sable and "top 20 SCI Eland"???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was the last leaseholder of the Dete Annex (actually owned by National Railways of Zimbabwe)where I built And operated a photo safari lodge called Elephant Sands. we were removed during the land acquisition BS.We were never compensated one penny for building a 24 bed full service lodge as well as roads boreholes etc. on the property.

It is a piece of land on the Park side of the Railway Line and I have no doubt that there are some great animals there as it was always considered park, not hunting. Mike Fynn and I used to regularly look at a 100+ pound ele bull who used to visit us each year there.

I hope that anyone hunting there has done their homework, because I would suspect that any "new owner" would be on the banned list.

Thanks for clearing this up...in reading the report on another forum it appeared that the hunter was not from the US.

Again my only suprise was that this area could produce a safari at all let alone a good maned lion, buffalo, >65 ele, 40" Sable and "top 20 SCI Eland"???

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry computer illiterate! This is what I tried to post below...

I was the last leaseholder of the Dete Annex (actually owned by National Railways of Zimbabwe)where I built And operated a photo safari lodge called Elephant Sands. malindi Station Lodge was south down the railroad about 25 km from us. we were removed during the land acquisition BS.We were never compensated one penny for building a 24 bed full service lodge as well as roads boreholes etc. on the property.

It is a piece of land on the Park side of the Railway Line and I have no doubt that there are some great animals there as it was always considered park, not hunting. Mike Fynn and I used to regularly look at a 100+ pound ele bull who used to visit us each year there.

I hope that anyone hunting there has done their homework, because I would suspect and hope that any "new owner" would be on the banned list. Not that that seems to matter much anymore...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTHunt:
Sorry computer illiterate! This is what I tried to post below...

I was the last leaseholder of the Dete Annex (actually owned by National Railways of Zimbabwe)where I built And operated a photo safari lodge called Elephant Sands. malindi Station Lodge was south down the railroad about 25 km from us. we were removed during the land acquisition BS.We were never compensated one penny for building a 24 bed full service lodge as well as roads boreholes etc. on the property.

I hope that anyone hunting there has done their homework, because I would suspect and hope that any "new owner" would be on the banned list. Not that that seems to matter much anymore...

How big of a piece of property are we talking about...the combined Gwaai ICA? When you say "considered in the park" i guess technically not?

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
landowners & supporting the illegal, murderous & genocidal regime of Robert Mugabe & therefore deserves to be tied to a tree for leopard bait.

Red ants would be a better bet.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Back in 1999 I hunted Lion's Den with Thys DeVries in the Gwaii district. Wonderful place now burned down and stolen from the family.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only reason this report got my attention is that the hunter took a good elephant AND a good lion on ONE safari. This is extremely rare in Africa any more! If you don't believe me scroll through the AR Hunting Report archives and let me know how many you find? Certainly you will find good elephants and good lions recently ...but not on one safari!

I agree that this area has a shameful history with regards to takeovers..the thing that really suprises me, again, is the game numbers that can produce a safari like the one I have mentioned.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Safari2,

Wayne Jardine was the PH on the hunt you referenced.

This is a list of property stolen from the rightful owners circa 2003.

1 Lot 1 Dete Valley Farm
2 Lot 2 Dete Valley - Lanamie Ranch
3 Lot 3 Dete Valley (Lion Ranch)
4 Sikumi Estates
5 Farm 31 - Railway Farm
6 Antoinette
7 Goodluck Ranch
8 Farm 35 - Railway Farm
9 Chamankanu Farm
10 Lugo Ranch
11 Sotani Ranch
12 Skukunwa
13 Hankano Ranch
14 Umkombo
15 Karna Block/Comwood Ranch
16 Gwaai Ranch
17 Karna Block West/Tsakaruka Safaris
18 Karna Block East

The list came from this thread in 2003:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=14810962#14810962

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Safari2,

Wayne Jardine was the PH on the hunt you referenced.

This is a list of property stolen from the rightful owners circa 2003.

1 Lot 1 Dete Valley Farm
2 Lot 2 Dete Valley - Lanamie Ranch
3 Lot 3 Dete Valley (Lion Ranch)
4 Sikumi Estates
5 Farm 31 - Railway Farm
6 Antoinette
7 Goodluck Ranch
8 Farm 35 - Railway Farm
9 Chamankanu Farm
10 Lugo Ranch
11 Sotani Ranch
12 Skukunwa
13 Hankano Ranch
14 Umkombo
15 Karna Block/Comwood Ranch
16 Gwaai Ranch
17 Karna Block West/Tsakaruka Safaris
18 Karna Block East

The list came from this thread in 2003:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=14810962#14810962

Thanks for the reference document from 2003...
Still makes me wonder that there is ANY game at all on these properties much less enough that can produce the hunt we have referenced fro the other forum. The hunter said he would post a detailed report later this week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only reason this report got my attention is that the hunter took a good elephant AND a good lion on ONE safari. This is extremely rare in Africa any more! If you don't believe me scroll through the AR Hunting Report archives and let me know how many you find? Certainly you will find good elephants and good lions recently ...but not on one safari!

I agree that this area has a shameful history with regards to takeovers..the thing that really suprises me, again, is the game numbers that can produce a safari like the one I have mentioned.

Look at the website, the price for his 10day lion package and look at the lions they take.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
quote:

Look at the website, the price for his 10day lion package and look at the lions they take.

And then cross reference to Ganyana's recent post in The "Zimbabwe the right lion " thread!

Dete annex was tiny BTW about 3000 acres max, but has had permanent water for many decades through the Dete town water and sewage works on the edge of Dete, which means elephant, buff and of course lions following the buff throng there. in dry season at the lodge we would have 500 elephant a day drinking in front of the lodge ( Elephant Sands).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And then cross reference to Ganyana's recent post in The "Zimbabwe the right lion " thread!

Wink

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Safari2,

Virtually every farm in the Gwayi Valley/Conservancy were invaded in August 2002. I was there at the time and with the owner thrown off his game farm.

Many landowners got back onto their farms after legal action, and were thrown off a second time. Again got back on and were thrown off a third time and that was it.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Safari2,

Wayne Jardine was the PH on the hunt you referenced

quote:

What's the reference for that website?

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dete annex was tiny BTW about 3000 acres max, but has had permanent water for many decades through the Dete town water and sewage works on the edge of Dete, which means elephant, buff and of course lions following the buff throng there. in dry season at the lodge we would have 500 elephant a day drinking in front of the lodge ( Elephant Sands).

I believe there WAS that much game there, what suprises me is there STILL that much game there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a little more detail from the "other forum" regarding the game situation in Gwaai. Again this European Hunter just returned a week or so ago.

"Situation in Gwaai depends on Farm to Farm....
Malindi Station - I have to say that game was here and trophies very good. Sable, huge elands, hyenas, lions, leopard, kudus etc...
The place is especially remarkable for elephants. LOTS of them and big jumbos (multiple > 60 lbs). Buffalos are around but move in herds, so one day you see a few hundred then they are gone for days or weeks."

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Is it or is it not legal for an American to hunt the Gwaii area?

I have always understood the ranches were taken from the rightful owners around 2002 and redistributed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike...I cannot answer that question BUT I can tell you this area is PRODUCING! Look at the report I have referenced here along with the HUGE lion just reported.

Can you tell me of any other single area anywhere in Africa that is producing lion and elephant like this one in 2012? I can think of 3
in TZ: Lokisale, Lunda and maybe Pasanisi's very best Selous block(s).

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Redistributed to people on the banned lists is my guess. I think this has all been gone through before?

Reckon there is more than a bit of 'marketing' going on in this thread ...

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No marketing from me...not in the safari business in any way shape or form....in the trash (landfill) business.

I have followed african hunting with a passion for more years than I care to admit and have been on several safaris.

I like tracking good areas because they are getting so damned few and far between anymore.

One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
No marketing from me...not in the safari business in any way shape or form....in the trash (landfill) business.

I have followed african hunting with a passion for more years than I care to admit and have been on several safaris.

I like tracking good areas because they are getting so damned few and far between anymore.

This is not a good area. It was taken forcibly from people who put blood sweat an tears into building it. Its right next door to Whangi Nat. park an gets a lot of pass through game.Here today gone tomorrow.
But it was stolen ~ so I dont care if it has 100pd elephants.
Its BLOOD MONEY an Dodgy outfitters.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is not a good area. It was taken forcibly from people who put blood sweat an tears into building it. Its right next door to Whangi Nat. park an gets a lot of pass through game.Here today gone tomorrow.
But it was stolen ~ so I dont care if it has 100pd elephants.
Its BLOOD MONEY an Dodgy outfitters.

10-4 Leopard Valley...when I first heard the reports I just wanted to learn more to educate myself...now I know...thanks for everyone's input.