Find
Notify
Tools

Binocular suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys

I am looking for a set of binoculars that I can carry easily all-day, every-day during a hunt. I had a set of Leica 10x20s that I liked a lot, but since needing to wear prescription glasses the last few years, the Leicas didnt work nearly as well.

Now I am looking for a replacement in the 8 to 10 power range, 20mm to 30mm sized objective lens with good visibility when held up against my glasses. I would be interested in suggestions for either Euro or Jap glass.

Thanks... Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several threads in the Optics forum, but for me a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL's have been nothing less than perfect. I am small - 5'1" - and I wear them on a Crooked Horn setup that goes around your whole upper body instead of just your neck and also keeps them still, next to your body, as opposed to bouncing around. The weight wouldn't be an issue even without the harness - I like it more because it frees my hands up - and I don't think anybody who looked through those binoculars could complain about the optics. Very happy owner here! Good luck.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fergus,
before you swing away from the Leica 10x25, have alook at their new ultravid version of the 10x25, it has full rubber armour now, and maybe they have changed its specs, it may be better for spectacle wearers now, I dont know. Worth checking out. I am tempted myself to sell my 10x25 armoured version,and get the new model.
Ive had other Leica and Zeiss glasses in 10x42,but just dont find them worth the weight for my use at the moment.Those new 10x25 are an amazing little glass for their size. If I was to get a bigger set at some stage, it would probably be the 10x42 rangfinder model(1200m range), Or the variable 8-12x42Duovid, I deally I would like to see a duovid/rangefinder model combo, If they get to making one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...go to page 5 of classified; Will has a Swarovski 8x30 binocular for sale. Excellent Glass.

JLS

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Actually I was going to post my opinion before the "plug" post above. Really!

In my opinion, the only ones you would ever need for Africa are the 8x30 SLC Swarovski's. They are the only ones I ever take anymore and at 20 ounces, they are not burdensome. I also have a pair of 10x32 EL's but doubt they are worth the extra money.

I have a whole pile of the 8x30's, in both trucks and in every room of the house for watching/identifying the backyard birds. Just how many do I need, I'm not sure, but I probably have too many! So maybe I should sell a few of them!

The little rubber Swarovski eyecups that you can get for them (and all Swar models) are a God send. All mine have them.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
No matter which binoculars you choose they all suck with glasses!!! it does not matter who makes them you just don't get the same field of view, clarity or depth wearing glasses and you can never block out the ambient light that filters in from behind the lenses. keep the binos you have and go to your local eye care professional and get fitted for contact lenses or have lasik done if you are so inclined. Trust me on this one i struggled with all kinds of glasses and bino's till i finally gave up and got contacts, i have never looked back. jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...perhaps you should try Pentax - same quality as "Germs" at half price...

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/sport_optics/bino...full_size/dcf_sp.jsp

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I'm selling Will's binoculars, but 8x30 SLCs (if he offers them at a decent price and they are in good condition) are just about ideal, IMHO. It is my favourite size glass - small enough to carry all day, yet display full size occulars for stress free glassing. You'd be surprised how well a glass of this kind allows you to see, even in falling light. There is a world of difference to the pocket glasses.

I often carry my 8x30s in a belt pouch (Uncle Mike has a suitable "utility pouch"). That means you can carry them with next to no effort. Yet they are always at hand when you need them - albeit slightly slower than if you carry them around your neck.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski, Swarovski, Swarovski!!!!! In whatever fits you.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting, I like the 8x30s, you can use them better off hand and they are easier to hold and score an animal with, they are easier to use when looking over a mountain side...10X IMO is just too much power for the hand/eye IMO...

My all time favorite glass is my Leica 8x30s but I have not looked at the latest products lately, and probably won't as the Leicas have served me so well....They are light and compact enough to carry all day and clear as a bell. I never get a headache from extended use.

Most Americans tend to go over board on scopes and binocs IMO due to the amount of advertising hype....but thats just good business on the producers part and it sure does work....and to each his own...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like and use the Swaro 8x30 and the 7 x 30's. I wear glasses and the Swaro's are fine.

Posts: 10264 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the recommendation of the Swarovski's. Aside from great optics, the lifetime warranty and customer service is almost a deal maker in itself.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fergus_Bailey
I bought Leica's Ultravid 8X42, used them last year in TZ and could not be more satisfied. I like the fit in my hands and the optics are very sharp. I suggest that you go to an optics store and try several brands and then you will know what is right for you. CHEERS

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 8x30 Swaro and they are very convenient. You don't think about them being there and you can watch for very long time without being tired. You will notice differences when you compare with cheaper models in bad light, or if you use them for long time. I use them hunting moose, roe and geese, and I am also around looking for birds a bit. No suprise birdwatchers perfer Swaro.

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try the Nikons, they're bright quality optics and I feel a good value.
I carry the 8 x 30's most of the time but but have 10 x 50's for my bean field deer hunting.

Hope this is useful,

Tom T

Posts: 17 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I used Swarovski 8x30's for many years and then went to 10x42 Swarovski's but the one's I use most are my Swarovski 10x50's I even took them to Zim one year but they are really too heavy to carry all day. My PH friend uses Leica 8x30's and he is constantly borrowing my Swarovski's. I believe the new Swarovski 8x4?'s would be my all time favorite if I were going to buy another pair. They are spectacularly bright and handy. The new coating is truly greatly improved.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

Thanks for all the input. Theres a lot for me to consider there and I really appreciate your responses.

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I would also have to vote for the Swarovski's. True top quality optics. Once you try out a ppair there's no going back. On the lower price range, some of the Leupolds with the contoured eye cups are very nice

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 8 x something...I use a 30 year old pair of 8 x 30 Zeiss and my son has 8 x 30 Swarovski...we have never been handicapped by either. I have had / used 10 x 40 Zeiss and own at present 10x50 Leica but still find I use the 8x30 Zeiss most often.
Binocs and eyeglasses just suck and that is all there is to it...I wear trifocals. Being as I have only one good eye I can not afford to risk surgery on the good one because if it went bad I would be out of business period. I am stuck with eyeglasses. it seems.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I like my Swarovski EL 8.5x42's.

In the past I preferred carrying compact binocs but as most good hunting occurs just after dawn and prior to sunset the light gathering capabilities are worth the slightly extra weight and size.

The only problem is when you look through the Leupold scope you still can't shoot well, so you need the equivalent scope in Swarovski (Zeiss, S&B etc) to not be disappointed.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I'm going to back TomT on this one. Nikon Monarchs. 10X42. Good optics. Waterproof. $300.

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Fergus,

You've already received a LOT of good advice above. But I'll suggest a completely different alternative.

I suggest lasic. Keep your favorite binoculars and have the surgery.

I can't begin to tell you how much more enjoyment I've had looking at flora and fauna since my lasic surgery and binoculars simply don't work with glasses.

If you can't/won't have lasic, wear contact lenses when you hunt.

You should be old enough by now that your eyes have settled down so you won't need it but once before cataract age and they replace your lenses then anyway.

Here in "Merka" it's cheaper than a good pair of binoculars anyway...

Even with all the trouble I had with lasic (you will remember my horror stories) it was well worth it.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fergus- Before you pop for the Swaros(I have two pair)Check out the Kahles(did I spell that correctly?). I have read on this site that they have the same glass and coatings but slightly heavier and less ergonomic tubes.Swaro owns the company.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if cost is not much of a concern--- then go with Kahles or Swarovski. Can't beat the optics of either. Kahles will stand side by side with Swarovski but cost you sightly less. Kahles and Swarovski are owned by same parrent companies. 10x or 8x is all that you need. For brush or thicker terrain go 8x. Out here in the west were we tend to glass very long distances --10x is popular.
Can't beat Swarovski or Kahles warranty either. My 6yr old son once got a hold of my Kahles and left them in the yard. My older son then ran them over with the lawn mower the next day. I mailed them in to Kahles for repair--they sent me a brand new pair to replace my damaged ones at no cost!!
I will never buy anything else after that service!

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
My favorites are the 8X32 Leicas, but I own and use a pair of Swaro 8X30's as well. Much depends on which pair fit your eyes and hands the best.

Midsouth Shooter's supply has the Swaro 8X30's on sale for $679.

Swaro 8X30 S

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Nikon all the way

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well let me add a "plebian" view of binoculars. Look at the Canon Image Stabilizer. My PH in Namibia had a pair and I was so impressed that I bought one for myself when I returned.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three years down the road Nikon, Canon ,Minox Etc. will not be what they were. I have had all three mentioned and a few more. Kahles give you "Big Three" quality at a slightly reduced price. Swaro/kahles customer service cannot be topped. I have also sent various optics from Nikon. Minox and Canon for service and/ or repair.They are not even close to what the Swaro people do for their customers....

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After working at the optics counter at a major sporting goods chain for a while, if quality is what you want, go to swarofskis or Kahles. If price value, go to Nikon. Never a complaint about owners of either. Though the Nikon owners had different expectations than the S and K group. I use Kahles and don't believe you could be disatisfied with either.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote