THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poisonous or dangerous snake encounters

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poisonous or dangerous snake encounters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
So far, me and my friends are 4-1-1 against poisonous and dangerous snakes in Africa. Won 4, Tied 1, and 1 defeat. This score does not include mere sightings.

The 4 in the win column are a Black Mamba, a Boomslang, a Cape Cobra, and a Puff Adder, that we terminated because they got too aggressive and close for comfort.

The tie was with an African Rock Python that struck at my buddy but didn't do any damage. Both escaped, running away from each other hysterically.

The loss, if one can call it that, was one of the wife of one of my hosts got bit on the hand by a Puff Adder. Her hand and arm swoll up and turned black. Got her to the hospital in Okahandja after more than 2 hours of being bitten. She survived. So did the snake.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
We did see a what seemed to be around a 7 foot Black Mamba crossing the road in the Limpopo, the PH slowed down, I told the wife to get out to get a picture, until the PH said NO!!!!, good thing, that could've been really ugly.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
AKsheephunter...apparently not all that fond of the wife??

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tie was with an African Rock Python that struck at my buddy but didn't do any damage. Both escaped, running away from each other hysterically.

jumping Ha, that's a classic and not far off what I would have done as well!

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Well, I really didn't know what it was, I thought it was just a black snake, it didn't move like a viper, so I thought it was harmless.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can home to my house in Ghanzi, Botswana one night. Usually I go in alone first and the family follows. This one night my 10 yr old daughter came in with me and a good thing too. You have to turn your back to the room to hit the light switch and as I did my daughter yelled “snakeâ€. As I turned around, she was out the door and a tail was disappearing off my bed. After 10 minutes of looking I found a 5 ft Mozambique Spitting cobra behind a bookshelf. I didn’t mess with this one but shot it with a pellet gun. I don't now if this picture will display but here goes

Posts: 44 | Location: New York | Registered: 06 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as you don't eat it, you'll NEVER have a problem with a poisonous snake, VENOMOUS snakes however, are another story.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote