Tools

Interesting boots
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
http://www.palladiumboots.com/..._arg=x&pid=02352:364

quote:
Palladium was founded in 1920 to make tires for the fledgling aviation industry. Tires were made by layering canvas bands underneath vulcanized rubber. Palladium's expertise was so advanced that soon the majority of Europe's aircraft were using Palladium tires.

After World War II, with aircraft manufacturing screeching to a halt, the demand for tires decreased dramatically. Palladium decided to open a plant in Pont De Cheruy, France, to start producing footwear that was as hard wearing as their tires. In 1947 the legendary Pampa boot was born, and the functionality, comfort and durability were so outstanding that the French Foreign Legion adopted it for their use. The Foreign Legion put the boot to the test in the harsh desert conditions of North Africa, and throughout the rugged terrain of the Atlas Mountains.

Today, the original design, classic lines and time tested utility are as relevant as they have ever been. Combining over 60 years of authenticity with modern manufacturing, premium materials and cutting edge styling, Palladium boots are ready to help you explore your street, your city, or the world.

Anybody have any experience?

I have seen a few references to them lately, one was a gun writer, David M. Fortier, on AR15.com.

For $55, I may buy a pair to see how they hold up.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in the Caprivi everyone wore these boots. The trackers and PH's loved them because they are tough and dry quickly.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look a bit like a modern, short version of a combat jungle boot (The late Vietnam era one's).

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I looked at this shoe long and hard. It reminds me of a Converse All-Star(which I really like for some African hunting)

These are priced about the same as the Converse All-Star, but they have soles that will provide much better traction. The downside is that the sole's aggressive lug pattern will be much louder than the smooth sole of the All-Star.

I'm still on the fence.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Dang you for costing me $55 + shipping... Big Grin

-Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These boots were sold by L L Bean in the 1980s.I had two pair when I was in the Philippines, they were great for walking in the mud. The French military used them in Vietnam and Algeria. They also have a hemp insole that helps keep your feet dry when walking through mud. I have worn them in the deserts of NM. The only issue I had is the sole is prone to collect rocks. Great value for the money.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I wore the heck out of these years ago when I was young and comfort took second place to function. They are not very comfortable for "veteran hunter's feet".

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work great in warm, wet environments. One word of advice though, break them in completely before you take them on a trip where you will wear them every day. Though canvas and seeming soft, they can eat your ankles with or without socks until they actually soften up and conform to your anatomy. My PH and his staff wore them without socks but I found that a pair of Cool-Max socks made them more comfortable.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I will join this century someday....in meantime, I just keep wearing my Courtney Tyre Tracs...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
They look to me like they may not be well enough constructed to provide proper support of the foot.

Do they provide sufficient arch and ankle support?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are excellent boots. I have 2 pair and have used them in south Africa and in both the jungle of southeast Cameroon as well as in the north Cameroon Sahel. Very comfortable and quiet. Many 8 hour hikes and never a blister.
They probably work for the tree stand hunter as well, but I would use slippers in a tree stand or lion blind if I were ever to hunt that way.
I understand the SEALs use them during training, but I can't confirm that.

Good Hunting

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
Maybe I will join this century someday....in meantime, I just keep wearing my Courtney Tyre Tracs...

Technically, the design of these boots was last century.
Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
They look like a good option for a Zambezi delta type hunt.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I wore them 30 years ago when LL Bean sold them when I worke on a mowing crew and wore a pair billed as IDF para boots that had the extra canvas buckle tops to RSA on a plains game hunt in 2000. They are comfortable, cool in the summer and inexpensive. However, they are not durable and provide very little foot or ankle support. The are not good in thorn country.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Is canvas "seed proof"? Hunting in Zim early season (Apr-May) those seeds are just plain nasty and if those pierce the canvas you are buggered. Otherwise those would serve great wading rivers - no need to take them off - saves precious time when hot on tracks tu2 (but so do Tevas Wink) :

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote