THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    how dose temp affect your double rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how dose temp affect your double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
this is a question for you double rifle shooters and more for those of you who live in colder climates such as canada or the northern parts of the us.

1.have aby of you shot your double rifles in temps around 50 deg if so did you notice a differnce in the regulation of your rifle

for instance with my 700 nitro i have to keep my ammo and rifle at room temp(65 deg) or higher in order for me to completely eliminate any hang fires and make it so my double regulates

i shot my 700 yesterday i have a heated ammo case i made my self and the ammo was set at 70deg my gun how ever was at out side temp of 48 deg my all of my shots went low until my barrels reached a temp of at least 60 deg.

now the 500 is more in the range or normal and i have herd of people shooting ti in 20 deg weather with no adverse affects on regulation what soever but with the big boys 577,600,700 i think temp really plays a part

basicaly as long as temp are between 70 and what ever lets say 100 deg regualtion is right on.

also if you shoot your double rifle off the bench do you notice a change in your regulation as well because the gun reacts differntly off the bench rather than being shot from the shoulder

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 500 ignites fine even down to 10 degrees.

However, in Utah it shoots about 6" lower than in California. Butch gave me new front sight bead and I guess I will have to take both to Africa and find out where it shoots there.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i am willing to bet you will be using the one butch had put in there in the first place as he regulated the gun for tropical tempetures

my 700 nitro dose the same thing im 8" low when the barrels are very cold but..........

i went to a indoor range hehe and i let my gun and ammo come up to temp and ever thing worked great

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

also if you shoot your double rifle off the bench do you notice a change in your regulation as well because the gun reacts differntly off the bench rather than being shot from the shoulder

A double shot off a bench should regulate fine, but only if it is done right! The rifle shouldn't touch anything, that it doesn't touch when you shoot it off hand! What I mean by this is, the rifle should only touch your shoulder, your cheek, and your hands. Hold the rifle with you fore-hand between the rifle and the sand bag, and do not let the butt rest on a bag. Grip the rifle as if you were standing. A double Rifle absolutely must be allowed to recoil exactly the same way it does when fired from a standing possition, without any support!

For your cold weather shooting, you need to work up a cold weather load, that will regulate properly. Be very careful not to shoot these cold weather loads in hot weather, because they will likely require a heavier powder charge, or a different powder. The hang fires are more than likely the result of too loose filler in the cartridge, shrunken by cold tempratures. One thing I'm hesitant to mention is the placeing a small amount of very fast burning powder in the case between the primer, and the regular powder load, or DUPLEX LOAD! This is a touchy subject, and isn't the thing to do if you don't know what you are doing. Not haveing worked with a 700NE, I can't give you any load data that would be anything but a guess. SO!my advice is, Unless you have someone, near, who has experience with developing DUPLEX loads, stay away from them!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i will stick with using the 700 in warm weather for wich it was desighend.

i wont got near a duplex load with a 100 foot pole!

i found a local indoor range that gose up to 40 yards that i can shoot my 700 in the only stipulation is that i use soft points only or if i want to use fmjs i have to use the sand pile they provide but it also reduces my range by 10 yards so id be shooting 30 yards at least there i can shoot in warmer surroundings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a padded camera tripod as a standing rest and find that it works very well. I just crank the tripod up to about shoulder height and then rest my support hand on the pad.

Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using RL-15 and IMR-4831 I shoot my doubles in below zero weather in Idaho and at above 100 degrees F, in Africa and I have not had a problem...but I never load my doubles are any DGR to the particular guns max...Pressures best ally is poor handloading practices.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ray thats all fine and dandy with small calibers like the 450-400 and the such but with the extreamly larg guns like the 577 nitro plus i belive these guns are more sensitive to temps below what they were intended for 70+deg

i have shot a 470 in 20 degree weather and had it hit about 1 1/2" lower than where it ususally hits in the summer.

i use rel 15 in my 700 it gose off fine and burns clean but the 700 was in no way ever desighed for temps below 70deg

my load is 160 grains of rel 15 a fed 215 primer a 1" long foam wad and 1000 grains of fmj woodleigh whoop ass

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not convienced that caliber has all that much to do with tempatures, that is anymore so with a double than with any other type of gun or caliber, and BTW I shoot a .470 and mine shoots about the same in any kind of weather or has so far..In fact I shot it at below zero temps a couple of times this year and it centered one hole groups at 50 yds., and last week Butch Searcy won the Double Rifle Nationals with it in hot california weather, without any sight adjustment....Once my double is sighted in I don't mess with the sights...I do know that a change in light during the course of a day can move POI with iron sights if one is not aware of how to compensate for this..The bead will and does cast a shadow...

But apparantly, from your response, you were satisfied that you knew the answer before you asked the question, if you were satisfied that you knew the answer then why seek advise from others?

frankly I think there is more mystery and voo doo about double rifles floating around than is provable, mostly its stuff thats been accepted as fact by word of mouth so long that everyone tends to believe it...

IMO, a double is little different from any other rifle, its mostly all about barrel harmonics, steels, off hand shooting and bench techniques, in other words most of it can be explained or debunked with a little effort...I know that right/left Right/left shooting is not valid and I thought it was for some 50 years until I tested it on several double rifles and found it not so...I can say the same for IMR-4831 being dangerous to shoot in doubles and several other falicies that disturb some double rifle aficiendos when challanged...but to each his own..

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i do agree with you whole heartedly on the fact that there is a lot more to learn in shooting a double rifle than in a regualr single barrel firearm

i was asking this particual question just to see what peoples expirences were.

thanks you and every one else for your responce.